1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2005-2009 Toyota Tacoma Spiral Cable Replacement Recall C0B (code B1801)

Discussion in 'Recalls' started by OishiiJPN, Oct 17, 2013.

1. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

[​IMG]
    On March 7, 2011, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic
    Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall
    on certain 2005 to early 2009 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles.

Recall Letter #1

Recall Letter #2

Recall Instructions

You can check the status of any Recall on your Toyota here.

Due to combination of the spiral cable design and characteristics unique to the chassis components of the
    Tacoma, steering wheel vibration (“flutter”) may cause friction between the Flexible Flat Cable (FFC) and the retainer in the spiral cable assembly in the steering wheel. In FFC’s with seven channel circuits, friction over time may result in damage to certain circuits on the flat cable that provides connectivity to the driver’s air bag module. If connectivity is lost, the air bag warning lamp will illuminate with code B1801 stored in the ECU. In addition, the driver’s air bag may become deactivated, causing it to not deploy in the event of a crash. This could increase the risk of injury to the driver.

Covered Vehicles
    • Certain 2005 to early 2009 Model Year Tacoma vehicles are covered by this Safety Recall in the U.S. This involves approximately 495,000 vehicles.
    • The vehicles were produced from Mid-September 2004 to Late August 2008.

2. I had a 2005 Tacoma affected by this spiral cable/airbag recall. It was repaired by a Toyota dealer, and it worked great. No more problems.

I sold the truck in 2015, and purchased a certified used 2012 Tundra in June 2015. I now have the same spiral cable/airbag problem, yet there is no recall. This is a very expensive repair, and it is unsafe to drive with faulty airbags. Anyone know if a recall is in the works?