1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2007-2011 Toyota Camry and Camry Hybrid Sun Visor Warranty Extension ZTT

Discussion in 'Warranty Extensions' started by OishiiJPN, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Staff Member

I'll go with Oishii on this and reiterate what he said..
    Please take the time to report your concerns to NHTSA and maybe a Recall will be issued if they receive enough consumer reports.

OishiiJPN likes this.
  2. Jeff

Jeff Guest

OishiiJPN likes this.
  3. Maria

Maria Guest

I would like to know if Toyota will still replace BOTH my sun visors? I have had to remove the passenger side visor and the driver side sun visor is barely hanging.

4. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

If your vehicle qualifies under this program then yes, they will replace both at the same time. :)

5. Michele

Michele Guest

I have 2011 Toyota Camry and the sun visor will not stay up. I googled and it is the same issue everyone else is reporting. It is very scary because even the tape does not hold and falls while driving. I looked up the serial number and it says mine is not part of the warranty. I don't understand how that is possible.

OishiiJPN likes this.
  6. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

Michele, neither do I. There are plenty of Camry visors that have the same issue falling down but aren't part of this warranty extension. You can do two thing to help yourself and every other Camry owner who has this problem.

The first is to fill out this form by NHTSA It will make sure that the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is aware that this condition exists and is not being taken care of by Toyota. Afterall, it is a safety issue.

The second thing to do is have your Toyota Dealer fill out a DPR (Dealer Product Report) about this concern and make sure they mention that even though you have the exact same problem, your vehicle was not included in the warranty extension.

If you happen to pay to have these visors replaced, keep the receipts just in case they start to cover this concern at a future date. You would then be able to get reimbursed.

7. The driver side sun visor on my 2011 Camry is now having this issue. My VIN falls in the range on the Warranty Extension ZTT from your link. I contacted Toyota Customer Care via email and attached a copy of the document. They contacted me by phone and by email and say that my VIN DOES NOT fall in the range. They want me to take it to my local Toyota dealer for them to inspect it and give an estimate, at my cost, and then they MIGHT give me some assistance with the repair/replacement. I have told them that I will not pay my local Toyota dealer to inspect it on the off chance that they MIGHT pay for the repair.

OishiiJPN likes this.
  8. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

The Dealer should not charge you to simply look at the visor (they can do this right on the drive) and run a VIN check on T.I.S. (Toyota Information System) to see if your car is in the ZTT waranty extension. If not, PLEASE, file a complaint with NHTSA here. It helps if every Owner does this to bring their concerns to the attention to the powers that can turn this warranty extension into a Recall. ;)

9. Narsinghani

Narsinghani Guest

I noticed that the visor on the Drivers side was gradually coming down and despite asking my local dealership to look into it, the problem was deferred and I was asked to wait until it got much worse. Last week it actually came close to a point of becoming detached altogether; I reviewed the warranty/extended warranty information on the issue and to my surprise I realized that was an extended warranty coverage on this problem; however upon calling Toyota I was told that my vehicle was never a part of the extended warranty ZTT and even if it was I wouldn’t qualify since I was outside of the 7 years of time limit. I never received any notification, neither the dealer made me aware of the problem, and now I am put in a position where I have to get it replaced with out of pocket expenses (not cheap ~ 295.00 parts + labor + taxes).

I had a similar issue with my electronic braking system - actuator that I had replaced by paying $2150 out of pocket and made a compliant to NHTSB and later a wider recall was issued and I was reimbursed by Toyota.

Not sure about Toyota’s position on safety and customer service any more, this will be my last experience with Toyota. Additionally the local dealers was not aware of the heated seat recall on my vehicle and refused to make an effort to address it.

OishiiJPN likes this.
  10. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

Narsinghani, thanks for the reply. As with the Brake Actuator issue turned into a recall, if enough people submit a notification to NHTSA, then maybe this too will be converted into a recall. Please take the time to fill out your concern here. Also mention that some vehicles were covered by the ZTT warranty extension but not yours if that's the case.

11. Narsinghani

Narsinghani Guest

Thanks, I agree with the brake actuator issue I and several other owners filed a notification to NHTSA and it was converted to a recall; similarly this evening I did file a NHTSA complaint describing the problem, it’s a safety issue, I believe if majority of us file this concern as you mentioned it would likely result in a recall! So everyone please do this, it takes a few minutes - power to people/-
    Thanks again

OishiiJPN likes this.
  12. Beth

Beth Guest

I feel the same way you do. I was driving my mother's 2008 Camry recently and the visor started flopping. Called Toyota and they said there was a recall and to bring it in and they would take care of it; however, when I got there, they informed me that because the car was 2008 and the recall was only for 7 years I was out of luck! Very disappointed in Toyota since they obviously knew those were defective sun visors!

13. Jeff Chen

Jeff Chen Guest

I clicked the "looking here" and got the list of VIN as 4T4 2011 BF3EK R086081 R0860

Just wonder if it is correct, there are only two cars for 2011? Or I missed something?

My VIN has 9 digits after BF3EK.... like 4T4 BF3EK0BR......

Thanks,
    - Jeff Chen

OishiiJPN likes this.
  14. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

That's what it looks like doesn't it? The best way to check for sure is to have your local Toyota Dealer run your VIN through TIS (Toyota Information System) and see if it pops up as qualifying for the ZTT warranty extension. If not and you have this visor condition, then fill out the NHTSA complaint form to add your Camry to the growing list. Doing so helps every other Owner who is experiencing this condition. :)

15. Yugal Aggarwa

Yugal Aggarwa New Member

I have Toyota Camry 2011. The Sun Visor has fallen. Called Toyota ca Delear- Capitol Expressway in San Jose, They said that it is covered after checking the Vin number. Went there and wasted 2 hours to be told that is is not covered. Called Toyota Experience ( or bad experience) line and they opened a case (1609170669) and said is is not covered.

My feeling is that Toyota product quality and service quality both have gone down. It is better to buy other good brands and avoid Toyota.

Lewis and OishiiJPN like this.
  16. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

Yugal, I'm sorry to hear that this was your experience. Not all Dealers are this inept. Please take the time to forward your information and concerns to NHTSA via this form, hopefully Toyota will expand this into either a recall or add more Camry VIN's to the list of included vehicles. Thanks

17. Jeff

Jeff Guest

How did Toyota decide which VIN to have recall for such small part like sun visor? Have anybody ever heard sun visor needs to be replaced besides "part defect"? It is really bad experience for customers (I have been driving Toyota for over 30 years) to see the recall model and year at beginning (2 cars for 2011? I double this is not correct, so dealers could not help), but eventually rejected by dealer "WITHOUT" any explanation or something like "Toyota/computer said no...".

Why Toyota need to push this own issue to NHTSA? Can you please talk to your supervisors to find a solution instead?

Thanks,
    - Jeff

18. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

Correct, the Dealers can only perform repairs (and get reimbursed by Toyota) if they follow the guidelines/rules put out by Toyota. If your Dealer puts in new visors for your Camry that didn't meet the criteria set by Toyota, then they would be doing it for free, parts and labor.

What would happen is that the Dealer would perform the work then submit a claim to Toyota the get reimbursed and Toyota would deny the claim. Your Dealer would just have to eat the loss and lose the money. That's why the Dealer performs a VIN search, to see if your car is on Toyota's approved list.

19. Jeff

Jeff Guest

You still did not answer my question.... why Toyota recall 2011 Camry for this visor, but my Camry could not get it fixed, especially I have already had a bad visor causing danger, frustration, and also Toyota's goodwill... Do you think I broke it by myself, and need to pay my own?

20. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

No.