Toyota 2UZ-FE Timing Belt Marks 4.7L

Lewis

Staff member

The following thread will explain how we set up the Toyota 2UZ-FE Timing Belt marks when replacing the timing belt.

The first tip is that we set the timing marks in place with the engine past/after TDC and not on TDC. This is because this engine is an interference engine and it will help prevent the valve damage if the cam or crank were to slip and rotate.

Another tip is that you know which Bank is #1 and which Bank is #2. Here is a reference...

2UZ%20Engine2-L.jpg

The first pictures I will show are of the timing belts marks as we are disassembling the front covers just so we can get a reference of the marks we will be using. Notice that the cam gear marks don't line up exactly. This is due to the old timing belt stretching just a bit over time. '

These first marks are where you want to line up the crank pulley....

IMG_2073_cleaned-L.jpg

IMG_2075_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now lets see the Bank 1 and Bank 2 marks. Again, the lines will not be perfect as the original timing belt has stretched just a bit.

Bank 1 marks.....

IMG_2076_cleaned2-L.jpg

Bank 2 marks....

IMG_2078_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now lets look at setting up the new timing belt and using the same marks as before. The new OEM Toyota timing belt will come with it's own marks on it. These marks serve as a Poka-yoke so that you can't get the marks lined up wrong. There is another mark that can be seen but just remember we use the "T" mark for Timing Belt.

Also note that Bank 1 is labeled as the L-Cam and Bank 2 is the R-Cam. The arrows also point to the front of the vehicle.

Here are the Bank 1 marks....

IMG_2081_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2083_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now for the Bank 2 marks....

IMG_2079_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2080_cleaned2-L.jpg

Last but not least, let's see the crank gear timing marks....

IMG_2085_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2088_cleaned-L.jpg

Well that about wraps this one up. This post was just designed to show you how we did this job lining up the timing belt marks. Please consult a Toyota Dealer and/or the Toyota repair website www.techinfo.toyota.com for more information.

***** But what about the other marks that can be seen behind the timing belt?

These marks are for setting the engine up at TDC (Top Dead Center) and not for replacing the timing belt. Here are a few pics showing the TDC marks...

IMG_2091_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2090_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2094_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2093_cleaned2-L.jpg

If you'd like to see how this job is performed then here is a Toyota Master Tech at work...

BigPapa

My first post. I have owned many Toyotas and currently own a Sequioa and Gen3 4runner.

Of all the Timing Belt write ups out there, this one and the video lead me to join. I have started the timing belt project on 2003 Sequioa and am ready to rturn the crank and was hoping to get a little more info regarding setting it at "T" as opposed to "0" TDC. I have watched and read several how to's and this one is the only one referencing cranking it to the the "T"iming mark and I am confident I'll do it right by following these instructions. I do not want to screw this up. Any more feedback would be appreciated.

The following thread will explain how we set up the Toyota 2UZ-FE Timing Belt marks when replacing the timing belt.

The first tip is that we set the timing marks in place with the engine past/after TDC and not on TDC. This is because this engine is an interference engine and it will help prevent the valve damage if the cam or crank were to slip and rotate.

Another tip is that you know which Bank is #1 and which Bank is #2. Here is a reference...

2UZ%20Engine2-L.jpg

The first pictures I will show are of the timing belts marks as we are disassembling the front covers just so we can get a reference of the marks we will be using. Notice that the cam gear marks don't line up exactly. This is due to the old timing belt stretching just a bit over time. '

These first marks are where you want to line up the crank pulley....

IMG_2073_cleaned-L.jpg

IMG_2075_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now lets see the Bank 1 and Bank 2 marks. Again, the lines will not be perfect as the original timing belt has stretched just a bit.

Bank 1 marks.....

IMG_2076_cleaned2-L.jpg

Bank 2 marks....

IMG_2078_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now lets look at setting up the new timing belt and using the same marks as before. The new OEM Toyota timing belt will come with it's own marks on it. These marks serve as a Poka-yoke so that you can't get the marks lined up wrong. There is another mark that can be seen but just remember we use the "T" mark for Timing Belt.

Also note that Bank 1 is labeled as the L-Cam and Bank 2 is the R-Cam. The arrows also point to the front of the vehicle.

Here are the Bank 1 marks....

IMG_2081_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2083_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now for the Bank 2 marks....

IMG_2079_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2080_cleaned2-L.jpg

Last but not least, let's see the crank gear timing marks....

IMG_2085_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2088_cleaned-L.jpg

Well that about wraps this one up. This post was just designed to show you how we did this job lining up the timing belt marks. Please consult a Toyota Dealer and/or the Toyota repair website www.techinfo.toyota.com for more information.

***** But what about the other marks that can be seen behind the timing belt?

These marks are for setting the engine up at TDC (Top Dead Center) and not for replacing the timing belt. Here are a few pics showing the TDC marks...

IMG_2091_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2090_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2094_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2093_cleaned2-L.jpg

If you'd like to see how this job is performed then here is a Toyota Master Tech at work...

Lewis

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback and it is always nice to help out. For the timing belt replacement, we do not use the TDC 0 mark, we instead use the dot mark just to the right. Pictured here..

IMG_2075_cleaned2-L.jpg

Then, when you get the front covers off where you can see the cam pulleys, you will see those marks line up the "T" (which stands for timing belt). Pictured here...

IMG_2076_cleaned2-L.jpg

and here...

IMG_2078_cleaned2-L.jpg

That is where you start and end with the timing belt replacement. HTH

BigPapa

Thanks for the quick response. I have cranked to T and everything looks exactly like your pics. Curious - nearly every how to online shows to zero. What damage could they have done?

Lewis

Staff member
What damage could they have done?
None as long as one of the cams doesn't roll over. This is an interference engine and when at TDC, the cam lobe is under tension by the valve spring. If one of the the cams gets moved and turns, a valve could come into contact with a piston and bend.
The 'T" marks are off TDC, so the cams aren't under tension.

BigPapa

Lewis, One more question. On the attached instructions (provided with Aisin kit TKT-021), note steps 5&6 on pic 2. It lists ATDC for 4.7L 1UZ-Fe and 2UZ-FE engines. I am working on 2003 Sequioa 4.7L 2UZ-FE and the engine looks identical to the one in your pics. I am at ATDC with cam/crank marks lined up exactly like your pics. Step 7 on the 2001-2004 Sequioa instructions state crank to TDC. The video included in your excellent post also cranks to ATDC. Can you shed a little more wisdom before I remove the belt?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lewis

Staff member
I'm not 100% sure but my guess is that one may be interference and the other not. For the factory instructions, remember that you can always visit www.techinfo.toyota.com and use the same repair manuals we use at the Toyota Dealer.

T

Tony111

i just completed timing belt replacement. I'm ATDC and it appears that the right cam is slightly off like 1/2 tooth. You mentioned that it can be off due to stretching should I reposition the right cam to get it to match the mark when the belt is put on? Will it damage the engine? With the new belt on it looks like you first pic with the old belt.

Thanks

Lewis

Staff member
i just completed timing belt replacement. I'm ATDC and it appears that the right cam is slightly off like 1/2 tooth. You mentioned that it can be off due to stretching should I reposition the right cam to get it to match the mark when the belt is put on? Will it damage the engine? With the new belt on it looks like you first pic with the old belt.

Thanks
If the marks on the belt line up with (match) the marks on the cam and crank, then you are good.

J

jerotoyo

Excellent write up. ...What if I hand cranked L and R cam pulleys, crankshaft pulley WITH timing belt removed ! 2006 4Runner V8 ((2UZ).. Stupid me??!! ...now what..

What I did:

1 With old belt in vehicle undisturbed, set Damper pulley to 50 deg BTDC mark on oil pump plate.

2 Marked up old belt and gears

3 Remove old belt, , transferred markings to new belt.

4 Leaving crankshaft gear undisturbed, install new belt.

5 A lot of difficulty getting all 3 pulleys aligned properly (off by at most 2 notches in one pulley) with the new belt. It is original Mitsubishi belt.

6 Hand crank L and R cam gear clockwise, without belt to try to align them. Sometimes one or more gears got stuck. I DID NOT FORCE it. Rather turn counterclockwise on the crankshaft pulley about 45 deg, then the cam pulley would move again (clockwise), still trying to align pulley mark to backplate mark.

Tried one time to crank camshaft gear counterclockwise. End up loosening big center oil seal bolt, and some motor oil shoot out (it is pressured). Tightened bolt immediately.

Each time after a few revolutions, the three pulleys seem to return to the original “old belt” position. Installing the new belt resulted the same: When cranked clockwise crank, one of the three pulleys will not lined up. Always off by 2 to 3 notches on one of them.

Below are photos of the latest pulley positions when I gave up.

Photo 1, crankshaft gear. Red arrows shows the markings transferred from the old belt in vehicle, tensioner undisturbed, and damper pulley set to 50 BTDC mark. Now they are off. Yellow arrows show new belt mounted with tensioner on.

P1060795_3.jpg

At the same instance, Photo 2 and Photo 3 showed new belt mounted, tensioner on.

P1060798_4.jpg

P1060799_3.jpg

Any damage done? How to salvage this?
Do I need to, and how to find out, if TDC #1 cylinder exhaust has been messed up by hand crancking without timing belt?
Releasing pressurized motor oil inside camshaft gear, does any harm?

Much appreciated !

Lewis

Staff member
Did your new belt come with timing marks on them? It looks like the CR mark is on but I can't see the other ones.

J

jerotoyo

Thank you for responding, Lewis.

The replaced new belt is from the same supplier that member “Bigpapa”’s wrote about on Feb 2016, with 3 markings. I have attached more photos to explain further.

BTW, all spark plugs are removed to ease cranking

Previous photo 2 R-cam, now photo 2B taken at a different angle shows the belt marking.

Photo 2B Rcamgear beltmark.jpg

Previous photo 3 L-cam, now same photo adding a blue arrow showing the belt marking

photo 3B Lcamgear beltmark.jpg

New photo 4 shows cam gear markings when I crank (clockwise), with belt, tensioner on, until the L and R cam gear marks are somewhat aligned with the belt markings,

Photo 4 camgears T mark.jpg

But then, new photo 1B shows crank gear TDC position, and “CR” belt marking way off..
Photo 1B crankgear belt mark.jpg

Earlier , with the belt off, hand cranking clockwise each cam gear separately would eventually locked up one, two or all 3 gears. (Interference engine, rod hit a piston??) . Only way to relieve that is to crank the crankshaft gear counterclockwise about 22 degrees, then one can continue. When the 3 gears can move freely and somewhat "aligned", one can put the belt on per instructions, and that is where I am, somehow out of alignment.

Thanks for your continual help

J

jerotoyo

To moderator, how do I withdraw/delete photos 4 and 5 submitted this morning cause they are incorrect?

P

pls help

pls help in a similar situation as jerotoyo was i took of the timing belt on a 2006 4runner 4.7 v8 and the cams turned on there own. the passenger side turned 2 teeth clockwise and the drivers side turned almost 90 degrees counter clockwise crank shaft was set at the 0 mark. how can i fix this??

OishiiJPN

Staff member
pls help in a similar situation as jerotoyo was i took of the timing belt on a 2006 4runner 4.7 v8 and the cams turned on there own. the passenger side turned 2 teeth clockwise and the drivers side turned almost 90 degrees counter clockwise crank shaft was set at the 0 mark. how can i fix this??
Did you get this back together yet?

L

Lara

Hey y'all! I'm in a pickle. In the middle of doing the timing belt on my 01 sequoia, and I can't seem to get the timing marks happily aligned with either method. The original guide I was following says to line up crank at 0 then the cams with the hash mark to the left of the T. Well, with my crank at 0, the cams were always just shy of the marks. Trying it this way, with the cam at the notch right of the 0, my cams are in between the mark and the T. I'm wondering if my timing has been off this whole tinge I've owned the car now. Thoughts and helpful input would be awesome. Thanks!

L

Lara

Sorry, that should say "timing" not "tinge." I apparently can't trust autocorrect while I have gloves on.