Toyota 5S-FE Timing Belt marks 2.2L

Lewis

Staff member
The following thread will explain how we set up the Toyota 5S-FE Timing Belt marks when replacing the timing belt. We set the timing marks in place with the engine at TDC.

5SFE-L.jpg

These first marks are where you want to line up the crank pulley at TDC....

IMG_2025_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2024_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now when you take the crank pulley and last timing belt cover off, you will see the crankshaft TDC marks here....

IMG_2016_cleaned-L.jpg

IMG_2018_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2019_cleaned2-L.jpg

and a close up pic without the arrows.....

IMG_2020_cleaned-L.jpg

Now let's look at the timing marks for the camshaft pulley.....

IMG_2012_cleaned-L.jpg

When lining up the cam timing marks, you will see a small hole in the cam gear that lines up with a small notch just behind it. At TDC, you should be able to see the notch through the hole...

5SFE%20timing%20marks%20Cam2-L.jpg

IMG_2013_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2014_cleaned-L.jpg

Well that about wraps this one up. This post was just designed to show you how we did this job lining up the timing belt marks. Please consult a Toyota Dealer and/or the Toyota repair website www.techinfo.toyota.com for more information.

J

jeffrey madison

I recently replaced the water pump on my 91 toyota celica. 2.2 5sfe, lined marks up on cam shaft and crank. rotated motor 2 360 degree turns, to make sure marks remained in place on both cam and crank. put everything back together, drove the car and noticed the valves was rattling upon acceleration, checked timing with a timing light, and the mark on the crank was no where near the top dead center mark on the timing belt cover, so i crossed te1 and e1 and addjusted the timing, only to find its worse than before addjustment. so i checked the timing after driving and the mark on the crank is jumping back and forth a few degrees, so ive started over, i have it torn back down. and my marks on both the crank and cam are where they should be. any ideas what to do? the car ran fine before replacing the water pump and timing belt.

Lewis

Staff member
I recently replaced the water pump on my 91 toyota celica. 2.2 5sfe, lined marks up on cam shaft and crank. rotated motor 2 360 degree turns, to make sure marks remained in place on both cam and crank. put everything back together, drove the car and noticed the valves was rattling upon acceleration, checked timing with a timing light, and the mark on the crank was no where near the top dead center mark on the timing belt cover, so i crossed te1 and e1 and addjusted the timing, only to find its worse than before addjustment. so i checked the timing after driving and the mark on the crank is jumping back and forth a few degrees, so ive started over, i have it torn back down. and my marks on both the crank and cam are where they should be. any ideas what to do? the car ran fine before replacing the water pump and timing belt.
I would just make sure that you are using the correct parts for this application (vehicle) and check for any loose or worn parts. This does sound unusual.