Why the Scion FR-S/Toyota 86 is a "One and Done" Model

Lewis

Staff member
Caveat Lector. I am and have never been a fan of the Scion FR-S/Toyota 86. Just the thought of Toyota using another automotive manufactures engine/transmission in one of "our" vehicles is just abhorrent.

I can remember the day the Toyota Dealer where I worked received the first Scion FR-S. The then Service Manager pulled into the drive and the crowd gathered to check out the newest vehicle Scion had to offer. Who wouldn't want to check out the first rear wheel drive sports car from "Toyota" since the Supra?

First the pro's, it just looks Good. Like with a capital G, Good.

I mean, just look at it. It's undeniably sexy.

This is the kind of car that you dreamed of owning since you were a kid showing off your Hot Wheels at Show-and-Tell. Side note: My personal favorite Hot Wheel was the 1968 Corvette with it's sleek curves. You wouldn't be too far off if a red one reminded you of Jessica Rabbit.

Secondly, it's a Toyota.

Well, it's supposed to be.
But its not.
The End.

Ok, now for the Cons.

Lets start with the Biggest one. The engine.
From day one the critics have castigated the FR-S/86 as being under powered. There are numerous articles and YouTube videos of car enthusiasts engine swapping everything from a LS1 engine, the Ferrari-Powered GT4586 by Ryan Tuerck and let's not forget what every Toyota sports car fan first thought about, the 2JZ powered FR-S into this vehicle. Can you blame them?

Lets also not forget other detractors like having to use premium gas, a high pressure fuel pump that sounded like
Mulan's cricket Mushu, to not being a comfortable daily driver. I cant see this car being geared toward everyone but to tout this as a sports car only hurts the brand. (and they're still marketing it this way! Not for everyone.)

Lastly, the sales numbers. This industry is driven by sales, aka moving metal. As in Show me the money numbers. And that is where we can see the death of this vehicle. The peak sales year was 2013 and as of this past December, sales were halved. Even the Canadians are starting to give up.

frs%20sales2_cleaned-S.jpg

* Includes Scion FR-S and Toyota 86 sales

Listen, people can say what they want about a second generation Toyota 86 but I'm not buying into it. This is Toyota's modus operandi. They have built better vehicles than the Toyota 86 that never made it into a second generation- i.e. FJ Cruiser and MR2 Spyder, Venza.