2001-2004 Toyota Sequoia Rust Corrosion on Frame Condition LSC CSD

A

ARinaldi

I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. Today it was diagnosed with a severe rust problem. So severe that I can no longer drive it. I had it towed in, and the mechanic stated that it was not driveable and the wheel was about to fall off, because it was so rusted. He took pictures and it is a deplorable site, to know that I could have been hurt , maimed (r worse) in this car if I had continued to drive it. I will reach out to Toyota, since I was told that this was a common problem on the sequoia. The car runs fine, but it is unsafe to drive any further. Has anyone found a solution with Toyota. Recalls or class action. Need Help with this problem.
File an official complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/. Toyota won't respond to us individually.

A

ARinaldi

It may be to late, but I have a 2002 Sequoia and just saw the entire underside is rusted. I do not recall receiving any notice about this situation. Would love to know if there is anything I can do. Obviously, I can't take it in or it may be deemed not driveable. This is my only vehicle.
File an official complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/. Toyota won't respond to us individually.

A

ARinaldi

YES... also interested in a lawsuit against Toyota. How do we proceed?
I Own a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. Frame completely rusted out and my tie rod also came off frame from rust. A whole chunk of frame came right off. My mechanic says I was lucky I did not lose control of vehicle. Called Toyota. They gave me a case number and the following day promptly denied any responsibility. I inquired about the current settlement for 2005-2008 which Toyota is taking responsibility and at first there was denial that the case even existed, then told could not discuss as not supposed to be public. Really? It's all over the internet (ie NY Times, Nov 13, 2016 "Toyota Agrees to $3.4 Billion Settlement in Corrosion Case"). They are a corporation, and corporations do not like bad publicity. If enough people make noise ESPECIALLY on social media they will react. Frames are around 4k and another 4-5 to install. So, if your book value is 10k or less your vehicle is worthless. If you spend 30K - 40k on a vehicle there is no way someone is NOT responsible for the vehicle all of a sudden having no value. Either the owner or Toyota have to be responsible for the total loss in value because of frame. The owners are not negligent here so Toyota has to be. The fact that they are taking responsibility for the 2005-2008 and not before is despicable. I'm going on every possible website, blog, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to try to bring light to this injustice. I encourage everyone to do the same. I'm in on any group lawsuit and can help coordinate if enough interest. Else, I will go after them on my own.

A

ARinaldi

In the same boat as 20sequoia02. Have a 2002 sequoia, did what we were supposed to with the coating and now in danger of having the frame fail while driving. Is there no recourse for those who were able to follow thru with the LSC CSD and still have a pile of rust for a vehicle?

A

ARinaldi

I have a 2004 toyota sequoia for more than 8 years right now have 105,200 miles never get any letters from toyota or anyone went to get the inspection sticker and fail due Rust corrosion on frame I went to the dealer and ask they tell me nothing they can do only get it in trade in. Are you serious? I tell the guy and if I goin to buy other car won't be a toyota. Toyota need to do something about this

A

ARinaldi

If anybody get a lawsuit together. Please include me. I am a owner of 2001 Toyota Sequoia. I love the way it drives. I purchased this vehicle without looking under the bottom and it is rusted out. On the 12th of this month makes a year since I purchased it cash money. I paid $4800 that I feel like I just threw my money away. I keep replacing muffler pipes and o2 sensors and catalytic converters. My mechanic say it's not safe but it has been my only vehicle so I have no choice but to drive it and pray about it til I get something else.

A

ARinaldi

Can anyone help me. We did not see or receive this warranty, probably because we were new owners of the car. We brought the car in because the steering was tight and the dealership said the frame is completely gone, rusted, not safe to drive. Is there any opportunity at this point in time for help from Toyota? A cars frame should not go this early and we feel hopeless. A great truck that we love but we are sad and frustrated.

A

ARinaldi

Don't expect any help from the 800 people - I went from the normal support person to their supervisor who then informed me that anyone higher than her is proprietary information. I have owned 3 Toyota's and I have never received such bad customer service in my life directly from the manufacturer... Guess what? I am the original owner of my 2004 Sequoia and I NEVER received any letter(s) regarding this issue. Needless to say, if I don't get this resolved, I will be contacting an attorney. Sorry, a 12 year old high end truck with 170k miles on it with normal activity (no 4 wheeling etc) should not be rusted out. If they don't take care of this, they have indeed lost a VERY LOYAL Toyota customer for life and anyone I can reach by mouth or social media too... Very unsatisfactory experience. I expect more from Toyota

A

ARinaldi

I've had the same bad experience with customer service. I did get the letter and took my truck into the nearest Toyota dealership. They told me they could not service the truck at their location and that they would contact me as soon as they got a close location for me to go and have the necessary service performed. A year went by and I got no return call. I called to find out what was going on and they told me that I was out of luck and that there was nothing they could do to help and that it was my fault the truck wasn't serviced. Never again will this company get my money and I will at every opportunity spread the word on this company.. TOYOTA YOU SUCK!!!!!!

D

donjoy

Yes I did file a complaint to highway safety after I called Toyota.I,like you am encouraging people to do the same.I guess there has to be a number of complaints before they will do anything.Thank you for writing. Don

D

donjoy

Yes I did file a complaint to highway safety after I called Toyota.I,like you am encouraging people to do the same.I guess there has to be a number of complaints before they will do anything.Thank you for writing. Don
The phone number is (1-888-327-4236)

D

donjoy

I see that a lot of people have this rust problem.The dealership isn't going to give in to this cause it's not their problem.I had a recall on my 1996 4 runner for the steering damper well they put a new one in but it didn't work right( told me the problem was an after market bolt!!!!! come to find out they put an after market damper in (rats in the nest).Going through Toyota will get you nowhere the best thing to do is to notify the NHTSA.I called Toyota and wasted my time besides fore warned is fore armed.Like Mr Rinaldi says notify the highway safety.I'm pretty sure I read that the company that makes the frames used inferior metal.??We really need more complaints.

D

donjoy

I just remembered this.On my sequoia I noticed that the water that drains when the A/C is on comes out of a small tube on the firewall and drips onto a bracket below and also causes rust.To end this I went on line and bought a thin 1/2" OD tube ,cut it to length ,put silicone adhesive on the end and pushed it into the short drain tube and used a zip tie to attach it down below and that ended it dripping onto the bracket.

N

NemoF15

Own a 2001 Sequoia, purchased in 2004. Did receive notice in 2012 about potential frame rust and rot. Toyota knew they had a problem. Vehicle was undercoated and spare tire carrier replaced at a Toyota service center per Toyota instructions. Undercoating had come off within two years and by 2017 rust was becoming a significant issue. By 2018 I was informed by mechanics that the "frame was completely rusted through" and vehicle is "not safe to drive". I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

D

donjoy

I replied on this in email but just the same talk to other sequoia owners cause they may not be aware of where to file a complaint.Thanks