2001-2004 Toyota Sequoia Rust Corrosion on Frame Condition LSC CSD

Donald Faria

I replied on this in email but just the same talk to other sequoia owners cause they may not be aware of where to file a complaint.Thanks
has anyone replaced the rear window guide rails on sequoia How do I start a new question?I don't see where it says(start new post).

B

Brad Beatty

So glad I found this forum! About to complete a form on nhtsa's website. Have a 2002 tundra and I'm waiting any day for the frame to go out. This is ridiculous. I purchased a toyota b/c of the name. I've had a land cruiser and a few new tundras and didn't think to research these model trucks. I didn't find this out until I removed my stepsides. Was basically a bandaid covering a slug wound.

C

Charles

My Toyota dealer told me the frame was fine a few years ago (probably before the 2014 extended warranty expired). Now I had it in for brakes and told the frame is rusted out. Local body shop says they get them sent to them all the time from Toyota so why did they not do mine? Body shop will make repair for $800

D

donjoy

My Toyota dealer told me the frame was fine a few years ago (probably before the 2014 extended warranty expired). Now I had it in for brakes and told the frame is rusted out. Local body shop says they get them sent to them all the time from Toyota so why did they not do mine? Body shop will make repair for $800
What are they going to do?I had mine welded with plates and I used por 15 which i'll probably have to paint next year.

J

Jerry Yingling

Can you provide contact info for your body shop? Thanks. Jerry Y.

Donald Faria

I wanted to know if toyota changed the specific years.I called Toyota on my 2002 sequoia and was refused replacement then I called highway safety and filed a complaint to add to the other complaints.I hope more people do that.Thanks BGroot :)
I am writing this here cause I can't find out where to make a new post.Has anything happened to this frame problem?Maybe people should email the highway safety board and get them off their buts and do something with this.Seem to be going nowhere fast.

Donald Faria

I wanted to know if toyota changed the specific years.I called Toyota on my 2002 sequoia and was refused replacement then I called highway safety and filed a complaint to add to the other complaints.I hope more people do that.Thanks BGroot :)
again i'm posting on reply cause I don't see anything that shows to post.So I just sent an email to the highway admin for any updates on the frame.I'll come back when I hear something in the mean time can someone tell me where to post. Don

S

Shammah Parks

My 2004 Sequoia I BOUGHT in 2014 seemed to have a solid frame that had recently been coated. In MN within a year or two that all flaked off and severe rust was setting in. It came from Texas originally so that's why it hadn't rusted already. By 2017 there were holes in the frame behind the front tires where you can Jack it up. Now the sway bar end links I keep replacing keep breaking because of excessive frame flex I suppose. The rust is spreading like cancer, and with only about 140k, the rest of the vehicle is in great mechanical condition. We are going to file with the netsa also. Obviously the 01-04 have the same problems.

C

Christian013

Hey, like everyone else my 2003 Sequoia Limited has frame rot from all the rust. In the same spots by the front wheels where the sway bar connects back to the cross beam. Sway bar is barely connected. I bought my sequoia in 2018 but didn’t see any rust because they had covered all up when they did the coating. I called Toyota USA and they of course said the frame was serviced and to basically take a hike. Dealership said I should keep on them and they might after a year or 2 of argument and keep all documentation. I said my frame may only have a few months left. The dealership then said we will give a good amount for it on trade. (I only have 162k miles on it) I filed a complaint with FTC and the other. I guess my last resort is take it to a body shop.

D

doug m

Same thing here had it checked before the recall ended they said the frame was fine. When asked if the did the hammer test I was told they did not do that any more. The just did a visual and the didn't even coat it because the dealer in Smithfield RI did not have any of the coating. I called a few times and they told me the recall was over. I called Toyota USA when rear sway bar link mount fell out with half of the frame rail. They told me the recall was over and nothing they could do. I filed a complaint with the NHSB and nothing has come of it.

P

pman

I have a 2003 sequoia and the frame is rusted like crazy behind front wheels by cross beam and forward some. Terrible frame. Both sides but drivers worse. Its a pity that toyota bails on helping us with this mess.

D

Donna

I just came online to research my 2003 Sequoia with 144,000. I brought it to my mechanic today and he said it's got a total rotted out frame and
is to dangerous to drive. 144,000 miles???? My 4runner went over 250k and it was a great car. I've had this car since 2004 and clearly don't drive it a lot. Everything I've read said they are no longer replacing anything. Does anyone know the current situation. This post is clearly much later than most I've read. I live in MA.

H

Harry

I'm even later into this conversation. 2004 with 154000, in the same shoes. Good luck to both of us...changed spark plugs yesterday, still drive like a dream! such a waste to dump a nice car for rust.

D

Dawn

I urge all of you to please contact the National Highway Safety Administration. You can file a complaint online or call them at 1-888-327-4236. I filed a complaint online and also just got off the phone with them. If there are enough complaints that show this is a safety issue, they will investigate and force a recall.
Hello, I am new to this forum, I have a 2003 Sequoia and I see I am not the only one with the Rusted frame, and had the Corrosion treatment done in 2013, my frame is so rusted that it will not pass inspection. Not sure who else to reach out to, as there are no recalls or anything Toyota will do accept that 2013 Corrosion treatment. That did absolutely nothing. Any suggestions? Did calling the National Highway Safety Administration help in anyway?

S

Stevie B

Dracut Dave- sounds like you bought it from someplace/somebody that knew they had a bad frame on they're hands. Was the purchase date before or after the end of the service campaign?

All- I'm wondering if anybody has had success in repairing the frame by patch welding?

TIA
Yup. I have done plenty of patching on my 2002Toyota Sequoia frame. However, I am a welder and have the materials and equipment to fix the frame. Almost three hundred thousand miles and runs great.
In fact, I might see about buying a frame, or just make a new one.

K

kevin hood

I have a 2002 Sequoia and just recently found out from my mechanic who was replacing my rotors that the undercarriage is totally rusted out. I contacted Toyota corporate immediately because I never received a letter about the replacements. The customer service representative was very cool and told me Toyota was not responsible beyond the expired date. My car will not pass inspection because it's deemed "unsafe to drive" due to the rotted undercarriage! I am also looking for an attorney if anyone has already found someone. It's gross negligent on behalf of Toyota. Are they not still liable if people have accidents due to this issue? Perhaps they're okay with taking on the individual lawsuits and bad media press.
yes i have a 2002 Sequoia too and years back they painted some kind of rust protection i guess what a joke that was and all that did was to lock the moisture in so it would rust faster.. So if you or anyone got anything resolve was them or lawyers let me know, 09/12/21 Guess i way out of reach to have fix. Funny i have a 1963 dodge pickup and drove under same condition and not rotten out.
Kevin, 443-250-4579.

K

kevin hood

Yup. I have done plenty of patching on my 2002Toyota Sequoia frame. However, I am a welder and have the materials and equipment to fix the frame. Almost three hundred thousand miles and runs great.
In fact, I might see about buying a frame, or just make a new one.
yes i have a 2002 Sequoia too and years back they painted some kind of rust protection i guess what a joke that was and all that did was to lock the moisture in so it would rust faster.. So if you or anyone got anything resolve was them or lawyers let me know, 09/12/21 Guess i way out of reach to have fix. Funny i have a 1963 dodge pickup and drove under same condition and not rotten out.
Kevin, 443-250-4579. My son a welder well a steamfitter guess our next project......