2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma Rust Corrosion on Frame CSP ZTH

OishiiJPN

Staff member

Background
In a continuing efforts to assure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is enhancing its Tacoma Customer Support Program (CSP) and introducing an additional phase of the program to include 2001-2004 Tacoma models. This additional phase of the program contains specific inspection and repair procedures depending on Model Year and location of the vehicle; these procedures may include Frame Replacement (“FR”).

Owner Notification
The first customer letters to 2001-2004 Tacoma owners will be mailed out starting mid-December, 2008 and will continue on a rolling basis. This letter asks the customer to come in for an inspection if their vehicle is registered in the “Severe Cold Climate States” listed. For all other states, the letter advises that, unless the vehicle’s frame is perforated, the customer does not need to take any action at this time and to place the letter with their Owner’s Manual and store in glove box.

What is Toyota going to do?
Although the vehicle’s frame is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000
miles (whichever comes first), to assure customers that we stand behind our product, we will extend the
warranty coverage, to a total of fifteen years/unlimited mileage
, on the vehicle’s frame for this specific
condition, subject to the terms and conditions that are outlined in the Owner Letter.

M

Mike Oates

I have a 2001 Tacoma that the frame has actually rusted a hole large enough that you can almost place your hand through. I took it to the local Toyota dealer and they said "no excessive rust, campaign has expired". However on Toyoheadquarters it refers to letter ZTH that is an extension of their regular warranty of 15 years and unlimited mileage. Notice the word EXTENSION to their regular warranty of 3 years or 36000 miles. To me the word extension means they have extended their warranty where the total coverage period would be a total of 18 years and unlimited mileage. Now comes the question my 2001 Tacoma has 140, 264 miles and they tell me the campaign has expired. If Toyota is concerned with customer satisfaction, dependability and the quality of their product as they say they are they would not be splitting hairs as they are doing in this case. The vehicle manufactured date on my vehicle is 02/01.

This is my 4th Toyota vehicle and I am very disappointed with Toyota at this time. If I was purchasing a new vehicle today I don't know if I would purchase a Toyota today.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I have a 2001 Tacoma that the frame has actually rusted a hole large enough that you can almost place your hand through. I took it to the local Toyota dealer and they said "no excessive rust, campaign has expired". However on Toyoheadquarters it refers to letter ZTH that is an extension of their regular warranty of 15 years and unlimited mileage. Notice the word EXTENSION to their regular warranty of 3 years or 36000 miles. To me the word extension means they have extended their warranty where the total coverage period would be a total of 18 years and unlimited mileage. Now comes the question my 2001 Tacoma has 140, 264 miles and they tell me the campaign has expired. If Toyota is concerned with customer satisfaction, dependability and the quality of their product as they say they are they would not be splitting hairs as they are doing in this case. The vehicle manufactured date on my vehicle is 02/01.

This is my 4th Toyota vehicle and I am very disappointed with Toyota at this time. If I was purchasing a new vehicle today I don't know if I would purchase a Toyota today.
Mike, I'm sorry to hear that your Tacoma has this condition. Just to clarify this for other readers, the warranty extension is just that, the original warranty was 3 year/ 36,000 miles which was extended to 15 years/ unlimited mileage. That's an additional 12 years of warranty coverage with unlimited miles for this specific condition.

J

jackdoctor

I hear ya Mike...
I have an 04' Tacoma that got rejected 3 years ago when it was in for the spare tire carrier recall.
the dealership said it met all the requirements for frame replacement... but Toyota shot it down, so I had it welded by a friend who owns a shop. Fast forward to 2016... My rear shock mount broke off of the frame. I was going to have it welded back on also. The frame is SO rusted that its truly unsafe to drive. back to the dealership
where they, and regional rep are totally behind me... And Toyota shoots it down again. Note: The body and interior are Mint!!! Also NOTE: The truck was inspected in 09' buy a different dealership who said the frame was fine, and no recommendation for undercoating... It's documented in the vehicle history. This is my 4th Toyota truck.... And sadly the last.

C

Cindie

I purchased a used 2004 Toyota Tacoma last fall, and loved it. Fast forward to 2017 September. I found out that the frame was completely rusted. I had looked underneath when I bought it, and it seemed ok. (but I am a gullible woman!) Come to find out all the rust holes had been filled with BONDO and painted to look fine. I called Toyota Dealership after learning about the recall, which I had never heard of until I spoke to my loan company, and they refused to do anything. They sent a report however that showed that the truck had not ever been in for that recall. I took it to 3 separate body shops and all three said it was unsafe to drive!! One said there are actually parts that rusted OFF!!! I had been driving it to work (hour commute one way on heavily traffic freeways) I tried to see if I could get it totaled, but they won't. Nor would GAP insurance cover the difference of what I owe vs what it is now worth. Needless to say, I am paying on a loan for a truck, as well as full coverage insurance, that is SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY!! I had always wanted a Toyota because they hold their value and are supposed to be great vehicles. I am so furious! WHAT CAN I DO???????

R

riodelarosa

Sorry I just tried to reply to this thread and accidentally hit enter before I typed my response. Maybe a moderator can delete my accidental post since I'm only posting as a guest.

Anyways. I am dealing with the same issue on a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that is about to be out of warranty in 3 days. I've been dragged around in circles for 4 months by Toyota fighting to get this covered. One important suggestion would be to find out whether your truck was registered in a cold climate state when Toyota sent out the owner letters in 2008 advising of the frame rust issues. If your truck was in one of the cold climate states they have listed then the owner at the time would have needed to visit a Toyota dealership for inspection and have the frame coated with a rust resistance treatment by a certain date in order to continue eligibility for the warranty extension. HOWEVER, if your truck was registered in a non cold climate state this treatment was not required and the truck was automatically eligible for frame repair.

You can see my thread on TacomaWorld here. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2003-frame-replacement-denial.520173/

One important
I purchased a used 2004 Toyota Tacoma last fall, and loved it. Fast forward to 2017 September. I found out that the frame was completely rusted. I had looked underneath when I bought it, and it seemed ok. (but I am a gullible woman!) Come to find out all the rust holes had been filled with BONDO and painted to look fine. I called Toyota Dealership after learning about the recall, which I had never heard of until I spoke to my loan company, and they refused to do anything. They sent a report however that showed that the truck had not ever been in for that recall. I took it to 3 separate body shops and all three said it was unsafe to drive!! One said there are actually parts that rusted OFF!!! I had been driving it to work (hour commute one way on heavily traffic freeways) I tried to see if I could get it totaled, but they won't. Nor would GAP insurance cover the difference of what I owe vs what it is now worth. Needless to say, I am paying on a loan for a truck, as well as full coverage insurance, that is SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY!! I had always wanted a Toyota because they hold their value and are supposed to be great vehicles. I am so furious! WHAT CAN I DO???????

D

Donna

I noticed cracks in my Toyota Tacoma 2004 , 4x4 last week. I have an appointment tomorrow with Toyota service department. I have a four wheel camper the fleet on my truck and on a another site mentioned the corresion issue. The camper is spec’d to Tacoma so that’s messed up. I hope Toyota does the right thing.

J

John I.

I just purchased an 04 Tacoma 4dr 4x4 and just found frame rot, and so I can’t pass inspection. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow who will inspect it and advise accordingly. I told them I need an entire new frame, but they wouldn’t give me any specifics until I go in tomorrow. I too hope they do the right thing and replace the frame.

J

John I

I just purchased an 04 Tacoma 4dr 4x4 and just found frame rot, and so I can’t pass inspection. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow who will inspect it and advise accordingly. I told them I need an entire new frame, but they wouldn’t give me any specifics until I go in tomorrow. I too hope they do the right thing and replace the frame.

Update:
So Toyota wont replace the frame. They said the time to do so expired. Apparently there isn’t any 15 year warranty from the in-service date like some have written about. Toyota would only cover the recall on the spare tire holder. I advised them that it was pointless to do that if I cannot fix or replace the frame. Looks like I’m SOL now. All that’s left is to call corporate and document complaints in the hopes that Toyota will issue a full recall in the future.

Lewis

Staff member
Update:
So Toyota wont replace the frame. They said the time to do so expired. Apparently there isn’t any 15 year warranty from the in-service date like some have written about. Toyota would only cover the recall on the spare tire holder. I advised them that it was pointless to do that if I cannot fix or replace the frame. Looks like I’m SOL now. All that’s left is to call corporate and document complaints in the hopes that Toyota will issue a full recall in the future.
Did you show them this... ZTH

T

Tom Timberman

I hear ya Mike...
I have an 04' Tacoma that got rejected 3 years ago when it was in for the spare tire carrier recall.
the dealership said it met all the requirements for frame replacement... but Toyota shot it down, so I had it welded by a friend who owns a shop. Fast forward to 2016... My rear shock mount broke off of the frame. I was going to have it welded back on also. The frame is SO rusted that its truly unsafe to drive. back to the dealership
where they, and regional rep are totally behind me... And Toyota shoots it down again. Note: The body and interior are Mint!!! Also NOTE: The truck was inspected in 09' buy a different dealership who said the frame was fine, and no recommendation for undercoating... It's documented in the vehicle history. This is my 4th Toyota truck.... And sadly the last.
Great you have still 1 year of warranty on the frame for corrosion. It is a warranty not a recall or anything else.

T

Tom Timberman

Update:

You have warranty for 1 more year. Trust me, I have mine in a dealer and new frame is in and work is almost complete. Mine is 2003 Tacoma bought August 20, so I still have 1 month of warranty. Contact Toyota with the VIN number and ask for warranty on frame or on anything.

D

Dawn

D

Dawn

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma with 53,495 mile and was just told the frame is rusted and a danger to drive.
What a shock, esp with such low milage. This was a flaw in the manufacturing. Very poorly made frames.

B

Birddog

Does anyone know when the time for the Corrosion Resistant Spray had to be applied by a Toyo Dealer in the state of IL?
Toyota extended a bunch of them past the 10/31/10 date.
I have seen 03/31/2011 deadline for NH and I have found NY and WV.
Would be great if a bunch of us Taco owners could list the final dead line for the "cold" climate states.
Late 03's are coming to the end of the 15 year warranty, and 04's should mostly still be within the warranty time frame.
I had my 03 read to be replaced and then Toyo Corp found out it was registered in IL for 4 months before I purchased it, and put the kibosh on the reframe.
Not mad, but disappointed.
Countless hours on the phone with Corp, and totally get it.
Last ditch effort, anyone have the date for IL?
Should be 2010 or 2011

BG-Truck

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. I was told by my mechanic that the frame has corroded to the point where I should not do any other repairs. I found out that there is a warranty enhancement program letter CSP ZTH which is specifically addresses this issue. How would I go about verifying that my truck qualifies for this program. The engine and the rest of the truck are in good shape. I’ve got a little over 300,000 miles on the truck but my record with a Toyota truck is 374,000. I want my 2004 to beat that record and it will if I can get the frame fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

R

Reggie

Mike, I'm sorry to hear that your Tacoma has this condition. Just to clarify this for other readers, the warranty extension is just that, the original warranty was 3 year/ 36,000 miles which was extended to 15 years/ unlimited mileage. That's an additional 12 years of warranty coverage with unlimited miles for this specific condition.

Mike they dont care there given alot of people the run around. Myself included. Ive bought 7 toyotas since 95 or 96 it dosent matter to them they all ready have or money. I have a 04 tacoma been try to get something done since last January. Nope nothing now they tell me its unsafe to drive. Im done with Toyota and from reading online forums I'm one of many. I bought in 2012 . recently retired now im stuck. Thanks toyota, i should you loyalty 25 years and this is how it ends. Sickening.

R

Reginald miller

[/QUOTE .
My regards on what happen to you. Same thing happened to me. They wont do a thing for you. Maybe from where you bought if your still under the 30 day warrenty. That truck should have Never been sold to you. Thats the problem with 2000-2004 Tacoms all the frames are crumbling. People are buying them cheap turning around and selling them for a great profit when they know there junk. There trying to pull a fast one,scammers pcs of crap,dirt bags, karmas a bitch. Please post dealer you bought from to save someonelse a headache.

R

Richard dd

You have warranty for 1 more year. Trust me, I have mine in a dealer and new frame is in and work is almost complete. Mine is 2003 Tacoma bought August 20, so I still have 1 month of warranty. Contact Toyota with win and ask for warranty on frame or on anything.
You have a 03 and there fixing it now or when you posted. Hard to believe that. What city and state and dealer if you donr mind. Ive been trying since january2018 and i have a 04. Your info would help many if true!