2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner Broken Rear Hatch Glass Warranty Extension ZG7

S

Samuel Herrera

Happened to me this morning the weather was like 78 degrees and the defroster was only on for like 2 minutes, my window was completely shattered :( It's going to cost me about $300.00 to replace and I don't have that kind of money. This sucks and my insurance doesn't cover it. :( all my searches say that the extended warranty ended last year. What to do?

S

Samuel Herrera

Happened to me this morning the weather was like 78 degrees and the defroster was only on for like 2 minutes, my window was completely shattered :( It's going to cost me about $300.00 to replace and I don't have that kind of money. This sucks and my insurance doesn't cover it. :( all my searches say that the extended warranty ended last year. What to do?
I contacted Customer service via email and am waiting to hear back from them. Doesn't look promising :(

R

Rachelle P.

I had no idea this was even a problem, until this happened to me today. I recently purchased a used 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition. It was a chilly, rainy afternoon & I had the heater going in the front & decided to turn on the rear defroster, I started smelling a burning smell, (I originally thought it was some vehicle in front of me), but the smell kept getting stronger, then out of nowhere my entire back window EXPLODED glass all over the back cargo area, scared the shit out of me! I immedittly pulled off the highway to gather my wits and access the situation, I noticed that there was some cracking sounds still happening after the glass shattered. This is gonna cost me at least $200 to get a new rear window. Coincidently I have a 2007 Toyota Solara with a rear window defroster & I have used it multiple time without any incident. I'm just glad no-one was hurt.
When I do get the glass replaced I will NOT be connecting the rear defroster to prevent this from happening again.

K

Kevin Tye

Happened to me a few days before Thanksgiving and I’ve spend about 5 hours on the phone with Toyota over about 20 phone calls, only to be told that “Toyota will not be participating in the repair costs.” I even have a video of it happening from the security camera where it was parked!

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Happened to me a few days before Thanksgiving and I’ve spend about 5 hours on the phone with Toyota over about 20 phone calls, only to be told that “Toyota will not be participating in the repair costs.” I even have a video of it happening from the security camera where it was parked!
Upload it to Youtube and post the video here ;)

B

Barry Jensen

LOL! My back window blew out and shattered. Contacted toyota and said its your problem, out of warranty. Now I need to spend $800 to replace.

D

Dale

I bought a 2005 SR5 in Feb of this year. I used my defroster for the very first time two days ago and after about 15 minutes the boom hit. Felt like something hit the vehicle. I have tinted glass which held it together so I didn't even realize it was the glass. I figured the obscured glass was just water drops until I tried the rear wiper and the "water" didn't wipe away. Very disappointed to discover that Toyota put a time limit on the warranty extension and this repair will come out of pocket. Hey Toyota, if you make a faulty product you should be willing to remedy it no matter what. Very poor form!!

064runnerOwner

This same thing happened to me this morning with my 2006 4runner. Defrost was on, then after about 10 minutes I heard the rear glass explode and shatter. Since Toyota dealership said it was out of the warranty extension period (April 30, 2018), I filed a complaint with the NHTSA, BBB, and opened a case with Toyota Experience Customer Service. Toyota needs to step up and make this right for everyone who's been affected.