2004-2007 Toyota Tundra and Sequoia Front Lower Ball Joints Recall 70B

Lewis

Staff member

SUBJECT:
SAFETY RECALL 70B (FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS)

Toyota will initiate a Safety Recall (Special Service Campaign) to replace the Front Suspension Lower Ball Joints on 2004 through early 2007 Model Year Sequoia and 2004 through late 2006 Model Year Tundra vehicles. There are approximately 533,000 vehicles involved nationwide.

Background:
On certain 2004 through early 2007 Model Year Sequoia and 2004 through late 2006 Model Year Tundra vehicles, there is a possibility that the Front Suspension Lower Ball Joint may experience excessive wear and looseness causing increased steering effort, reduced vehicle self-centering, and noise in the front suspension. In the worst case, if the vehicle is continued to be operated in this condition, the lower ball joint may separate causing a loss of vehicle steering control. Please note that the Front Suspension Lower Ball Joint is a wear item and must be periodically inspected and replaced in accordance with the vehicle's Scheduled Maintenance Guide.

Owner Notification Mailing Date:
The owner notification will commence in mid-January 2007.

D

Dan Nelson

The lower ball joints (on my 2007 Sequoia) are loose . . . again. Apparently my vehicle is not covered by the recall, yet the issue persists. I wish Toyota would take care of this known problem.

J

Joe Dunbar

The lower ball joint broke loose on my 2005 Tundra Double Cab LTD drivers side front wheel. 200,000+ miles. Fortunately, it was while I was backing up in my driveway and not driving on some highway. It destroyed my new tire, and my son and I were able to replace it with a new part. Is there anything Toyota is willing to do? Would pictures help?
Thanks, Joe Dunbar