2004-2009 Toyota Prius Combination Meter Warranty Extension ZTV

B

Bill Connacher

Aside from the fact that Toyota is screwing us all over in this regard, there is a way to fix this problem for just $150 or even maybe $5 if you are at all DIY inclined. Check out these two videos: (1)
(2)
. The first shows how to remove the combination meter and replace it with one ordered from an 3rd party source online. The second show how you may be able to repair the combination meter yourself by simply replacing a single capacitor. I had been dealing with this issue for over a year, but now I feel that I can fix it myself. I haven't tried either of the two things yet, but I plan to try the capacitor first and then the whole part.

K

Kat Hug

Thank you for all this great information. This just occurred on my 2009 Prius.
Yes, my sweet car is now in a much colder climate (originated in South Florida and stayed there until 8 weeks ago) then it is used to. It seems from what someone else said that the cold climate causes this to occur. I really appreciate the advise about taking it directly to the Toyota Dealership to have them write up a service request because once we got the car to turn off it is now working properly. Maybe not tomorrow though.
Love knowing there are wonderful people out there helping us all with such great advice. Thanks again.

C

curtis

Same here, I missed by a year. it's the reason I will never buy a Toyota again, their customer service is terrible.

Great, Toyota must have had a reason to limit it to nine years. Mine started failing on the 10th year. F Toyota. Obviously the part is faulty, why aren't they being held accountable for crap parts? It also locks my key into the ignition since it can also effect the ability to turn the car off. i had to wait in a commuter lot this morning for almost any hour and watch each bus go by as i tried getting it to power off. My next car was going to be a Prius this summer, but I will get a Chevy Volt instead.

G

G Brookfield

Ditto, ditto. Toyota has a very serious safety issue with the failure of combination meters in the Prius. My vehicle does not have 35,000 miles on the odometer and yet this part has failed. Any company which cares about customer safety would recall the vehicles immediately. Will Toyota tell my four grandchildren I perished because I could not read the warning light on my dashboard, had no idea how fast I was driving, or ran out of gas in a dangerous area? Think about it, Toyota, and do the right thing. I waited all day for your Plano, TX supervisor to call me back...not dead yet and arising in revolt. G. Brookfield

J

Jane Brown

I started my 2008 Prius and drove it to the post office ( 1/2 mile) and it would not turn off. I took it to my local mechanic--next to my house and it did turn off so I drove it back to my driveway and again it would not turn off. I had the display go black. I tried to hold down the power button 3 seconds then 2 short pushed on the power button--as I saw on line. It didn't work so I drove it 20 minutes to the Toyota dealer where I bought the car 4 years ago. Of course it turned off for them and they could not re- create the problem in the two weeks i left it there. They found no codes are showing. They say the Combination Meter will only fix the display and may not fix the problem trying to turn off the car. They say it is $600 to replace the Combination Meter. This seems irresponsible that this repair is past the warranty. I am willing to pay 50%v but don't think I should have to pay 100%. I got the car back yesterday and have had no problem turning it off. the car has 117, 400 miles on the odometer.
This is very poor service from Toyota. We have owned or leased 6 Toyota Prius since 2004 and this is a first on this problem.
I can try to find a local mechanical w/ Toyota background to give me a better deal I guess....Any suggestions or help TOYOTA?

S

Steve

You could have had the instrument cluster as it is called replaced from a local Toyota mechanic for around $ 200. The dealership charges around $800.
However your cluster needs to be programmed specifically to your car. Highly not suggested.

K

Ken

However your cluster needs to be programmed specifically to your car. Highly not suggested.
No it does not. It just Plugs in. No Programing needed. It's a faulty Capacitor in the circuit board that goes bad. Can get a refurbished one on Ebay for about $150. Takes about 2 hours to change, Toyota warranty allowed 1 hour I believe.

J

Julie Gaethle

Hoping that toyota has released a solution to the dangerous and non-consumer related problem related to the failing Combination Meter, can anyone confirm if there is a new Extended Warranty or possible recal on this? The previous ext. Warranty was only good for 9 years from date of first use which did not help many drivers. Super negligent and ripe situation for class action lawsuits not to mention many potentially fatal accidents on the roads. :(
I agree
I just now am learning about this issue as my 2008 did it this morning and would not turn off!! How scary

M

Mary

Hoping that toyota has released a solution to the dangerous and non-consumer related problem related to the failing Combination Meter, can anyone confirm if there is a new Extended Warranty or possible recal on this? The previous ext. Warranty was only good for 9 years from date of first use which did not help many drivers. Super negligent and ripe situation for class action lawsuits not to mention many potentially fatal accidents on the roads. :(
File a safe report with the government a vehicle safe report the more people complain the better. Toyota may be forced to recall.

J

Janet Breger

J

Janet Breger

I went to utube and followed the instructions to get the combo meter (circuit board) out of the car. I sent it to a place in Texas. He fixed it & sent it back. I hope I can put the dash back together. cost $120.

S

Steve T.

I purchased a used 2008 Prius this past July. I called Toyota about the problem. They apparently sent a letter to original owner who never got it replaced. Now I'm stuck holding the bag. I can fix the meter myself, I just don't have the time to pull the dashboard apart. I would love to find a guy in Queens, NY to help me with that and give me a couple of days to replace the capacitor and get them the meter back.

P

Paul G

I am a little confused on if this warranty extension is valid for my 2004 Toyota prius. Is it valid or has it expired? Is there a current one? I need my combination meter replaced. Thank you.

This really is pretty bogus.... there are tens of thousands of people out there with this problem and they have no interest in renewing this warranty.... they're gonna stick customers with the bill. Pretty crappy of them to do. My 2006 needs a new one too.

P

Paul G

These Toyota people don't care. They're friendly on the phone and all... but they give everyone the "I'm sorry, the warranty extension is expired and there's nothing we can do."

There are tens of thousands of these cars still in use with this problem......... and they don't care. Really pretty crappy of them.

If anyone at Toyota is reading this, do the right thing... extend the warranty for another 5 or so years and notify all the current owners.

M

Martti

We're you able to get any help with this I called and I was literally one day late and they wouldn't do anything so I have no dash lights at all and it isn't safe nor is it ok for Toyota to just opt out especially since I was never notified of the issue they were having with there cars

M

Martti

So wrong and not right for them not to fix there issue they have with there cars and not safe either

D

Debbie Bates

You could have had the instrument cluster as it is called replaced from a local Toyota mechanic for around $ 200. The dealership charges around $800.
I was just told told by my LOCAL dealer $762.
Plus a new transmission $5700. I said did you look for used or rebuild, he said no but he could also said I need a new battery. The battery in there is hours old and...the combination meter worked just fine before it went in there. I just bought this 2007 prius 1.5 years ago. So is there an extended warranty and would I fall into this category, because I bought it from Toyota dealership.

S

Suzie

Does this problem cause the gas tank meter to malfunction? My daughter ran out of gas with 3 bars still lit!