2004-2010 Toyota Sienna Power Sliding Door Cable Warranty Extension ZTS

M

Matt Price

I submitted this issue to Toyota. Hope you all are doing the same.

Hello,

My passenger slide sliding door cable broke last week. My Sienna is a 2008 with 106,000 miles. I'd like Toyota to cover this under their extended warranty. This is not a "wear part" and not the the kind of repair a consumer should have to deal with in that time frame. Clearly it is a known defect.

How can I get this remedied?

J

Jackie

I have a 2009 Sienna that has the cable snapped and hanging outside the car. Door will not open. Still need to turn off the electronic option and try. Got an estimate from dealership today for $1898.80 to fix it. Have already reported to National Highway and called Toyota. Also wrote on their FB page. So far I have gotten nowhere. I was told it was in interim for newer models. When I asked why since nothing has changed since 2007, she basically said they know it's a problem, have no fix so aren't extending the years. I can pay to fix it and then hope it will pass so I am reimbursed. Gee, thanks! This is on top of dashboard issues with electrics. Never getting a Toyota again! Terrible customer support.

J

Jackie

Just emailed Consumer Reports to see if they can cover it. Not sure it will help but maybe if enough people ask them, they will investigate and turn on the heat.

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience. :(
Sounds like a lot of the owners of this vehicle experience this very same issue and response from toyota. Horrible absolutely astonishing. I'm apauled at what I've read in the little research into this issue.

N

Never Mind

My cable brook at 116,000, but the Sienna is a 2008! Sorry no warranty.
although the dealer has it in their records as a 2007, still not going to fix it because it really is an 08.
A known design problem that no one will fix! No wonder we have so many lawyers in this county!

F

Frustrated2009

Can anyone share the process of converting the door to manual? I know I'll need to shut off the button under the dash, but what's involved with the frayed cable? Right now, my driver's side door jams half-way when I try to open manually. Is the remaining cable obstructing the door? I'm hoping I don't have to open the entire door panel and remove the cable.
Thanks!

V

vp123

My power sliding door broke in my 2002 Toyota Sienna. At the time I chalked it up to bad luck. It just happened again in my 2008 Sienna. Now I think its more likely due to poor design. Am the voices of friends who said I should have bought an Odyssey ring true.
9 years is a long time but it still should have never happened.

VinodS

Both power door cables of our 2008 Toyota Sienna XLE snapped within a 24 hour period--drivers side on 9/2/2017 evening and the passenger side one on 9/3/2017. The car was purchased on 8/28/2008. So the cables broke a few days after this warranty extension period. The car has 99,348 miles (so within the 120,000 mile limit).

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Both power door cables of our 2008 Toyota Sienna XLE snapped within a 24 hour period--drivers side on 9/2/2017 evening and the passenger side one on 9/3/2017. The car was purchased on 8/28/2008. So the cables broke a few days after this warranty extension period. The car has 99,348 miles (so within the 120,000 mile limit).
Thanks for sharing your story and sorry to hear that your Sienna is just out of the warranty period. :(

G

gary

My cord frayed and broke and I'm probably outside the extended warranty. I don't really need an electronic sliding door anymore (kids are grown), so I'd like to just make the door open manually. But when I try, it seems to get caught on something. Do I need to remove the cord entirely, or what do I do to make it a completely manual door?

ozone

I have been reading this thread with interest since our cable snapped last night and now the door wont open at all. I assume that the cable has wound itself up and therefore, we are toast. As others have suggested, I filed a NHSTA report (with pictures!). My report number, in case people need a template, is: 11053605
The NHSTA site said it would take up to 72 hours to post, so dont get too excited ;-)
Does anyone have the link to fix this yourself? My wife wants to go to the dealer, but if I can fix this with some stainless steel cable, I would rather do it myself.

2009 Sienna XLE, 102000 miles

Jrlivin2

I joined because I see there are quite a few people looking for a solution after the sliding door cables break on their second generation Sienna.

Like many of you, I have a second gen Sienna (2007 LE) and the cables snapped outside of the warranty coverage period.

You can forget about getting Toyota to pay for it if you are outside the coverage period.

This leaves you with two options assuming you want to keep the van.

1. Cut the cables and use the doors manually.

2. Fix them.

If you choose option one, there are detailed directions on a different forum which can be found fairy easily by googling. It costs nothing and only takes about 5 minutes.

If you choose option two, you can pay someone to fix them for you or do the work yourself. Most estimates from Toyota are around $1,500 per door. If that seems completely unreasonable to you (as it did to me) and you are handy or know someone who is then there are directions on another forum for doing the repair yourself. I fixed one door for about $350 and the other door for about $65 doing the repairs myself. I will tell you it is not a quick repair which is why Toyota charges so much. It’s not an overly difficult repair but probably isn’t for beginners either.

Whichever option you choose, I feel your pain. This was actually the second issue I have had with my sliding doors and Toyota left me hanging both times. I will buy a Honda next time.

If it’s not against the rules to post links to other forums and a mod wants to chime in I am happy to post direct links to the repair sites.

Good luck to all.

J

JRLivin

The mods gave me permission to post the previously mentioned links.

Option 1 - Cut the cables. John over at ShareYourRepair has detailed instructions -

Option 2 - Fix them. Again, John over at ShareYourRepair has an amazing write-up on how to fix the sliding door cable issue.

John recommends using OEM parts and has links to everything. I don't disagree with him about OEM parts being easier and safer. If, however, you are adventurous and want to save some money you can get aftermarket cables on eBay from maampartsusa2012 for about $65. They worked great for me but of course there are no guarantees and you are trying this at your own risk. If your pulley cover or pulley are broken in addition to your cables I would suggest just getting the OEM part as John mentions. If it's just your cables you may be able to save some money using the aftermarket cables.

I have no affiliation with John or the eBay seller but wanted to share what I found because I keep reading about people in similar situations who don't know what to do.

D

Dattu Prajapati

I have 2010 Toyota Sienna. Cable are broken on both side for over year. Toyota is not covering any warranty.

E

E in CA

January 23, 2018

The warranty enhancement for the door motor and cable breaking was to 2016 and 120,000. Failure happened on December 24, 2017 and reported to Toyota dealership on 1/23/18. My current mileage is 125,000. I do not qualify for the repair. The repair quote from dealership is $3,500. I will not be replacing my 2007 Toyota XLE with another Toyota for this reason. I was hoping to be in the "golden years" of car ownership, paid off, low taxes, low repair costs. Instead, it's been one problem and then another.

D

Don12

Please leave me your email. I'm starting to find people with similar issues. This needs to be stopped before someone severs a limb, is decapitated, or loses a child. I just had the same thing happen to me and I"m fighting...

D

Don12

Please leave me your email. I'm starting to find people with similar issues. This needs to be stopped before someone severs a limb, is decapitated, or loses a child. I just had the same thing happen to me and I"m fighting...

D

Don12

M

Maria

I went to toyota Dealer in brandon fl . l asked them to check if there was anything to cover the problem with the sliding door. They say no. And my car was less than 120 000 milles. I rrealy desapointed with them.