2004-2010 Toyota Sienna Power Sliding Door Cable Warranty Extension ZTS

R

R. Aronson

I have a 2010 Sienna with 90,000 miles on it. Both sliding door cables have broken. I can open the doors maunally, but with 2 small children that is not why I got this van. One cable broke around 75,000 miles and the other at 87,000. The dealer wants over $3500 to fix them. This is ridiculous. I have always been a toyota fan because of their reliability and this has really given me a pause.
The dealer says that my vehicle is not eligible for the warranty enhancement according to my VIN number. What is the best recourse for this problem?

See my post on page 3 - the info I got is that there is a pending RECALL for this problem. Has anyone else gotten information about that?

S

S.M.

I also have issue. I bought a 2nd hand 2008 sienna last year and the driver side power sliding door cable broke. Dealer quote ~2k to fix it. The extended warranty seem to cover only 04-07 model for cable issue. Anybody had luck getting it fixed under it?

On top of this have power steering fluid leak which is another 2k. This sucks.

S

S.M.

We are have the same issue with 2008 Toyota Sienna power sliding door. Cable broke and my son's hand got stock between the door opening/closing. Is Toyota going to fix this issue?

Anne Bennett

In stationary mode my sliding doors will not open, or will open intermittently, or will not open at all or will not close at all or will not latch. The passenger door would not close all the way and so I had to drive home with the door unlatched and beeping at me staying part way open even while operating the vehicle. I see that the 2005 Toyota Sienna was given an extra 9 years warranty for this issue or 120K miles, my car has only 110K miles and has the same issues as the NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V858. Both doors were affected within a week of each other. The dealer diagnosed the actuator motors on both sides as coincidentally going out at the same time but replacing the actuator motor on the passenger side did not fix the issue. After removing the passenger door they say that the cable is bad and the clutch is worn out on the motor/part that moves the door is bad or broken. The first night I saw the problem the car alarm came on really muffled and ran the battery down so the battery had to be replaced. This may have been associated with the door is my thinking since all this happened within a few hours of each event. (This door has been frozen shut twice since I have owned the vehicle and had to wait for it to thaw to get it to open or shut.) This vehicle has not had heavy use, only light use. Dealer has had my van for a week and doesn't have a resolve for who should pay for this. Toyota needs to step up.

Y

Y.W.

I have a 2009 Sienna LE, with 90,000 miles , right sliding door cable was broken. I could open the doors manually. I really need a Van to send kids to school and pickup them . I am waiting for a recall to fix it . If Toyota cannot fix it and I am going to buy a new VAN ~ Honda Van instead

J

JP Hawk

Well, it happened to us yesterday. Got out of a movie and opened the driver side sliding door with the key fob. Snap, cable broke. I called my dealer and said that we are out of the Customer Support Program as it only covers up 2007. I know you all have said it but it is ridiculous. How can the same part not be covered for the model years after 2007. No changes were made to it.

I called Toyota not 15 minutes ago and while she understood and took my pissed-offness well, she basically said unless more folks are losing complaints nothing will happen. I even asked about pending recall or additional model years being added to the Customer Support Program. However, she just said "they may in the future, but there is no guarantee. They look at the repairs and complaints people are having."

So frustrating. I am tempted to do the repair myself than shell out way to much money for what should be straightforward.

J

jimtoyota

2010 toyota sienna, under 120,000 miles. cable bad, corroded plastic sheath wore off. sliding door jammed and door would only open about 8 inches had to break cable to get door opened.
COMPLAIN TO NTSHA - cite this safety defect and how it traps the passengers. https://www.nhtsa.gov

J

jimtoyota

Well, it happened to us yesterday. Got out of a movie and opened the driver side sliding door with the key fob. Snap, cable broke. I called my dealer and said that we are out of the Customer Support Program as it only covers up 2007. I know you all have said it but it is ridiculous. How can the same part not be covered for the model years after 2007. No changes were made to it.

I called Toyota not 15 minutes ago and while she understood and took my pissed-offness well, she basically said unless more folks are losing complaints nothing will happen. I even asked about pending recall or additional model years being added to the Customer Support Program. However, she just said "they may in the future, but there is no guarantee. They look at the repairs and complaints people are having."

So frustrating. I am tempted to do the repair myself than shell out way to much money for what should be straightforward.

J

jimtoyota

COMPLAIN TO NTSHA - cite this safety defect and how it traps the passengers. https://www.nhtsa.gov

We were at 120,000 miles when our cable snapped on our left sliding door. There was no recall at that time. They said it would be $900.00 to fix. We could not afford that, nor could we drive around with a snapped wire cord sticking about 18 inches out of the side of our van, and also be unable to use the door. We had the door "fixed" by having the wire cut by our regular service station who does not overcharge us as Safro Toyota in Brookfield, WI always does. And Safro offered us no other options but the huge cost to fix, or to not use the door.

When we were at $130,000 miles, and I believe at that time, below the 9 year ownership mark, we got the recall notice. Great! Now we can have our door fixed. Hmmm...not so much, now you are "over" the miles and we will not honor it, was the reply. Nice. A defect, clearly not our fault, but yet Toyota will not honor it? When we went in with it the first time, WE WEREN'T over the milage.

We now continue to drive around with a door that doesn't work, has been a hazard for our children, and is a major inconvenience. We also continue to share our story, over and over, whenever we can, to let people know that they should NEVER buy a Toyota. My husband and I are both in professions where we meet a lot of people. You can be sure, this HUGE lack of customer service is a continued source of irritation, that we readily share. While we are just one family, who now will never, ever buy a Toyota again, (AND we were returning, loyal customers; my first car was a Toyota), word spreads. Friends, colleagues, family members, everyone we know, understands what happened here. Customer service, is important, and this was the poorest example of a company standing behind their product that I have ever experienced. What would honoring this warranty have meant to us? Everything. What would honoring this warranty mean to Toyota? A returning customer, who now has upcoming drivers, who would have remained loyal.

And this is not the first time this has happened to us with Toyota. From the beginning, we had issues with our steering freezing up. We paid to have that fixed, too, two or three times, in fact, and then, just like this, a notice came out. "Oh, that part is different than the one we fixed on your steering wheel." they said. OK, perhaps, but now this?!? Really?

People buy Toyotas for their longevity. We wanted a reliable, safe care for our family. We thought we had that with Toyota. Everyday, as I heave the broken door open, and then, often with hands, full, struggle to get it closed, I think of Toyota. We are a middle class family. To us, every. penny. counts. We buy things to last. We buy things with good ratings. We buy from companies with good reputations.

In light of all of the accidents and lawsuits Toyota has been involved in the last years, I would think fixing a door cable that they know was faulty, would be an easy fix, in comparison with fixing families who lost loved ones due to faulty acceleration.

Now we will have to have the airbags fixed, due to the next recall. I hardly feel like bothering. I am sure we will get there and they will tell us since no one died yet, they won't honor the warranty, because, well, that is just how Toyota rolls...

~An Unhappy Toyota Customer

P.S. I love how on the back of the letter, they give you a number to call if you are unhappy with the service regarding the defect. Yes, I called that number, and it got me nowhere. Right, thank you, Toyota for your concern. Much appreciated.

J

jimtoyota

I just has this exactly same problem, sliding door cable (driver side) broke suddenly two days ago for my 2010 Sienna. Seems a very common problem. Dealer also said the repair (including motor and control device as parts and labor) would cost 3K!

Nicola Gilbert

I am the father of the owner of the van. My daughter and grandchildren are in South Korea. I had been having trouble with the driver side rear sliding door just like a lot of others owners I have been reading about. The car ha about 72000 miles on it. The passenger side worked worked until I took it to a Toyota Dealership to have it detailed. I drove it home and now neither door works. I see my this vans vin number 5TDZK23C87S085910 is not on your list. It is particular worrying when I read the door may not open at all in the case of an emergency.
What was this vin series number not included?
Will you include this VIN series and if not why.
As an FYI this is the first Toyota our daughter has owned and it has been a good one until now. I have a 2005 Camry with about 130000 mile that has been great.
I hope you will do the right thing.
Sincerely

J

jimburns

complain to the nat'l highway transportation safety admin, nhtsa, and spread the word to have others complain. force a recall. this IS a safety issue.

D

Dsharp

Just got the same news today regarding my 2009 Sienna. Cable/door broke but I'm at 130,000 mileage. I have been a huge Toyota fan and this is my second Sienna. If they will not honor this recall this will be my last.
PS - I'm still waiting on a freaking dashboard replacement as well. #NOThappy

M

Matt Price

Hello,

My passenger slide sliding door cable broke last week. My Sienna is a 2008 with 106,000 miles. I'd like Toyota to cover this under their extended warranty. This is not a "wear part" and not the the kind of repair a consumer should have to deal with in that time frame. Clearly it is a known defect.

How can I get this remedied?