1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2004-2010 Toyota Sienna Spare Tire Carrier Cable Recall E0S

Discussion in 'Recalls' started by OishiiJPN, Jun 12, 2014.

1. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Moderator Staff Member

Background

The original remedy for Safety Recall A9E launched in Mid-April, 2010, included certain 2004 to 2011 Model Year Sienna 2WD vehicles equipped with a spare tire. This Safety Recall was conducted to address excessive corrosion of the spare tire carrier assembly cable. Toyota will be re-notifying all owners of 2004 through certain 2011 model year Sienna (2WD) vehicles covered by Safety Recall A9E to return to the dealership for an improved remedy procedure. Additionally, Toyota will also notify owners of certain 2011 Model Year Sienna (2WD) vehicles not included in Safety Recall A9E that their spare tire carrier requires replacement. Model Year 1998-2003 Sienna models also included in recall A9E have the spare tire carrier in a different location and are not included in this new action.

Toyota has received reports indicating that some vehicles experienced symptoms of the recalled condition after being inspected or repaired. Due to the variation in the placement of the light-weight, foam water splash protector which is installed in front of the spare tire carrier or loss of the protector during normal usage, water splashed rearward with high concentrations of road salt can reach the spare tire carrier and corrode the spare tire carrier assembly cable. In limited instances, the spare tire stowed under the floor may become separated from the spare tire carrier and become a road hazard that could cause a vehicle crash. Based upon this information, Toyota has revised the inspection and remedy procedures. To ensure all vehicles receive the proper remedy, Toyota is requesting all owners of affected vehicles in Severe Cold Climate States to return to the dealership. Toyota dealers will be requested to replace the
    entire Spare Tire Carrier with an improved one. This replacement will be performed at NO CHARGE to the customer.

2. Charles Ranheim

Charles Ranheim New Member

As of today, 7/05/15, it is my understanding the new spare tire carrier for the Sienna van is not available, and there is no projected date of when the new carrier will actually be available to the dealers for the final repair. In the meantime, if you bring your Sienna in for this recall, the Toyota Dealer may cut your outdated spare tire carrier cable, and relocate the spare tire inside the van where the third row of seats normally lower into the floor. Once this relocation is completed, you can no longer easily use the full floor for cargo because the spare tire is in the way. To use the van for cargo, you would have to remove the tire along with the holding strap, and drive the van without the spare tire. If all this is still true, Toyota may lose many unhappy customers because of the parts available problem.

3. OishiiJPN

Your telling me. o_O Its been a long time coming as is the rear leaf springs for the Tacoma Recall. Wasn't there like a 1 year road side assistance given to Sienna customers as part of this? (and its been almost a whole year)

4. Charles Ranheim

Is there anyone on this forum that may have inside information about if, or when, Toyota will provide the updated Sienna spare tire cables they keep saying will be coming in the recall notices? I have asked Toyota via email twice with no answer. The dealers say they hear nothing about the problem fix date even though we get recall notices to contact the dealers. I need to use of my 2004 Sienna for cargo 98% of the time with the rear seat folded down in the floor. If the dealer were to cut my cable and relocate the tire, I would lose my main use for the van. As it stands now, I will have to lower the spare tire from time to time and make sure the cable is lubricated so it will not corrode as part of a new maintenance requirement. I feel I have lost a feature I bought and paid for when I purchased the van. I liked my two Toyota vehicles very much until this recall issue surfaced. It might be time to rethink about the support not being what it used to be, and switch brands.

5. OishiiJPN

It looks like the Remedy (i.e. Parts) just became available and the letter to Owners are being sent out as of July 7, 2015.
    See here...

I would call you local Dealer and see if they have the parts needed and/or put one on order.

6. Charles Ranheim

Thanks for the update. I live in CT. The chart shows an "Interim" mailing type, not a remedy type. The third column labeled "Anticipated Remedy Date" shows Mid-July. Is this saying the parts will be available in CT in mid-July, and not just another inspection for a relocation? I want to make sure I don't end up with a cut cable and relocated tire like some others have experienced. To be safe, I lowered my tire today and re-lubricated the cable to make sure it was safe to use. It looked good. Now, all that is left is for me to verify the dealer has the necessary part in stock before taking it in for service.

7. Charles Ranheim

Now that Mid-July has passed, and my Toyota dealer has no idea when I will be able to get my cable replaced, I'm glad I serviced (Lubricated) my carrier cable. I spoke with the parts manager, and he said he has some of the new carrier cable parts in stock, but they cannot use them until we get the final recall notice from Toyota in order for Toyota to pay for it.
    My daughter also has a 2004 Sienna, and goes to the same dealer. Just last week she took her van in for routing service and specified they do not relocate her spare tire. The person she spoke to said it will probably be another four months before they start replacing cables. At this point in time, I will never trust anything Toyota says. Playing this silly game since 2010 is a bit too much for me to handle. Again, we both live in CT.

8. OishiiJPN

Charles, I just wanted to follow up and see if you have gotten your spare tire cable replaced yet as I have seen a few of these replaced recently. Thanks

9. MG

MG Moderator

I just wanted to add that with the new spare tire carrier comes with a 5 sided lug that may or may not need a new tool. The tool is pictured below. Some of the old carriers were 6 sided and need this too while others were already 5 sided and don't need it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Johannie Galan

Johannie Galan New Member

Hi
    In my case, the carrier was replaced on monday but my spare tire was already missing. What is the procedure on this case???

11. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Staff Member

Do you know what happened to the spare tire? Did you just purchase this Sienna?

12. pfb

pfb Guest

I took may vehicle in today (June 13,2016) to get the recall done and was informed that I had no spare tire and the cable was cut. WTH?!?! I have been driving for 10 years without a spare tire and just been lucky?!?!?

I just bought a spare from ebay and waiting for it to arrive. I have no idea how to get it installed back in the under carraige.

13. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Staff Member

If your spare tire was missing and it was because it fell off due to the corrosion issue, then Toyota would order you a new spare tire and install it as part of the recall.

14. jimburns

jimburns Guest

has anyone had issues with carpet staining immediately above the spare tire lifting mechanism? the issue started after i took it in for spare tire recall service (but possible source wasn't immediately apparent) which was a long long while ago. i cleaned the carpet thinking the kids spilled something there but then the dark oil-like stain reappeared and has spread and worsened over passage of time. i just recently put 2 and 2 together to SUSPECT a leak as it's immediately above the tire lifting mechanism. Possible? Anyone know? Short of pulling up the carpet, I haven't confirmed this.

So that asked and suspected, what exactly was the repair procedure? Was it a complete replacement of the lift? If so, could there be a leak immediately above the lift mechanism.
    thoughts??

15. OishiiJPN

Yes, it was.

Could be? Yes but I think unlikely are the access hole the lowering nut goes into is not that big and the lift has a seal where it mounts to the under-body. Here is a pic of this style assembly. (2nd picture down, on the left side, you can see the nut and the seal around it)