OishiiJPN

Staff member
Warranty Enhancement Letter ZH2

Subject: Customer Support Program ZH2
Certain 2005 – 2011 Model Year Tacoma
Coverage for Propeller Shaft Universal Joints

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for Propeller Shaft Universal Joints on certain 2005 – 2011 model year Tacoma vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding Propeller Shaft Universal Joints on certain 2005 – 2011 model year Tacoma vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated that there is a drivetrain vibration and/or drivetrain noise. If the vehicle continues to be driven with the aforementioned condition, there is risk of severe damage to the propeller shaft.

Although the Propeller Shaft Universal Joints are covered by Toyota’s Powertrain Limited Warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now providing coverage for repairs related to this condition.

Customer Support Program Details:
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the Propeller Shaft Universal Joints. The specific
condition covered by this program is a drivetrain vibration and/or drivetrain noise.

If the vehicle continues to be driven with the aforementioned condition, there is risk of severe damage to the propeller shaft. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with new Propeller Shaft Universal Joint(s) under the terms of this Customer Support Program. In limited instances the Propeller Shaft Assembly may be replaced if damaged due to the universal joint condition described above.
The Primary Coverage will be offered until April 30, 2019, regardless of mileage.

After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 12 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage.

Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in TSB 0302-17 Revision 1

This coverage is for work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only. It is subject to the same terms and conditions set forth in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Section of the Owner’s Warranty Information booklet. For example, damage from abuse, an accident, theft and/or vandalism is not covered.
Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 894,700 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. Approximately 12,300 vehicles involved in this Customer Support Program were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will send owner notifications by first class mail (in phases consistent with parts availability and repair capacity) starting in early November, 2017, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

M

Mike durante

Our shop has been changing these all week... Just stop in and your Dealer should take care of this repair for you.
Is it the whole drive shaft?
I've had vibes since new
Replaced u joints and center support bearing
What's included

Lewis

Staff member
Is it the whole drive shaft?
I've had vibes since new
Replaced u joints and center support bearing
What's included
It depends on what is needed to fix your concern and based on the inspection. It would be either all new U joints (center support bearing is not included in this repair) or a whole new driveshaft (which would come with a new center bearing if it has one).

This is of course assuming that the cause of your vibration is indeed the driveshaft and not something else.

S

Shorerunner

Toyota Canada is screwing people that have lifted their trucks by refusing to do the necessary repairs. I would like to know how many people this affects so we can start a protest against Toyota.

78bullshark

My truck is being denied service because bad U-joints that I replaced (out of pocket) a year ago. Caused excessive vibration in drive terrain and today my truck has "excessive play at Center Support" Toyota is telling me they will not cover the Center Support and New U-Joints because mine look fine.
Center Support will inevitably fail because of the previous bad U-Joints I had from toyota.
Also the replacement parts I used were OEM so if the originals were bad the replaced parts are probably bad also (since I ordered before this ZH2 Program). Which means ultimately I will have to pay (out of pocket) for U Joints Twice and Center Support Once only because the timing of my U Joint Failure was off.

S

Speedtriple1050

Is Toyota making people pay for replacing the U-joints? They're calling it a warranty enhancement.

Our shop has been changing these all week... Just stop in and your Dealer should take care of this repair for you.

N

nothappy

Heard the noise and found this thread. Toyota did their inspection and said the U joints were fine and the noise was from the left front wheel bearing and would cost me $1100. The service guy said it took a lot of labor to press out the bearing, blah blah blah.

I am no mechanic, but I can hear. The noise was most noticeable through the back window and went away at about 20 MPH.
Once, when I was young and poor (VW Beatle), I heard the shriek of a failed wheel bearing, walked to a NAPA, walked back and replaced it on the side of the road.

I am no mechanic but I am a google-fu master. A wheel bearing and hub assembly replacement for a 2010 Tacoma is a relatively cheap and simple job I could do myself,
by the side of the road if necessary.

Not a mechanic, but I have a phone. I called a nearby shop that said they could do both left and right for $800.
Skeptical of the wheel bearing diagnosis, I took my truck to the shop so they could look at it. They called me later with the good news that they greased my U-joints and the noise is gone. No charge.

The moral of the story is that in my humble opinion, Toyota should do a bit more to make sure their dealers are competent and honest. One or the other, maybe both, seemed to be lacking.

R

R. McCann

Had have the same issue with my 2012 Tacoma but the enhanced warranty is only through 2011. What is the recourse for 2012 owners?

J

Joel Horta

Does this cover if i am not the first owner on it i bought used from the dealership i work at and it just started to do this?

B

Benny

My truck is being denied service because bad U-joints that I replaced (out of pocket) a year ago. Caused excessive vibration in drive terrain and today my truck has "excessive play at Center Support" Toyota is telling me they will not cover the Center Support and New U-Joints because mine look fine.
Center Support will inevitably fail because of the previous bad U-Joints I had from toyota.
Also the replacement parts I used were OEM so if the originals were bad the replaced parts are probably bad also (since I ordered before this ZH2 Program). Which means ultimately I will have to pay (out of pocket) for U Joints Twice and Center Support Once only because the timing of my U Joint Failure was off.

B

Benny

I am facing that very same issue today. My 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner began to have vibration about 4 years ago. I replaced rear and front ujoints myself - wasn't aware of this program. The vibration got really bad a month ago and I replaced carrier bearing but no help. Took it to local dealership and am getting the run around saying they can't perform repairs under this ZH2 program without having the original ujoints. They told me that rear ujoint needed replacing and to take it up with Toyota Corp and gave me 800 # to call to get approval to cover my repair. Toyota Corp was of no help - told me to take it up with the dealer. So waiting for dealer to get back with me. Meanwhile I found one of the old OEM ujoints I replaced. Not sure if they can use that for their warranty coverage with the manufacturer. Also not sure if that lone ujoint will fix my total vibration issue.

N

Nathan C.

My 2007 tacoma has been vibrating terribly for months. The other day I drop the drive shaft to replace center Ujoint and front U joint and the center U joint had fallen apart gouging the yoke incredibly bad. I have two of the three original u-joints, but the truck isnt driveable in its current condition. I think I am just going to buy an OEM driveshaft after the local dealership wanted me to tow it in. What do you think the best option is? truck is lifted and I would be bringing driveshaft up there out of the truck? I have a feeling they wont want to cover any of it

Taylor Bretz

My 2006 tacoma started making this vibration last Tuesday, 4-9-19. Found this thread and went to Toyota. After a couple hours, they told me it was the U-joints and will be covered under warranty. They had to order parts, which took a week to get here. Picked up the truck yesterday, 4-17-19, and drives like it use to- no vibration! Fixed my issue 100%.. Also have 6.5" CST spindles up front and 1.5" add-a-leafs in the rear, still was fixed at no charge to me. They did recommend getting my drive shaft balanced as well as replacing the center support bearing, though.

C

Cody Hawes

Hi All, thought I would share my recent experience with Toyota on the U-Joint issue. Received the notice almost a year ago and wasn't experiencing issues at the time so I didn't want to pay the dealership for a diagnostic. About a month ago I began to experience the vibration in the driveline and immediately called my dealership to schedule a U-Joint/Drive Shaft inspection. I called on April 29th and the earliest availability the dealership had was on May 10th. Went into the dealership on the 10th and sure enough I had a bad U-Joint; unfortunately the warranty enhancement expired on April 30th and they could not perform the work under the warranty enhancement program. I explained how I called prior to the expiration date but the dealerships hands were 'tied'; so I called Toyota Headquarters. The first rep was very rude so I called back and spoke to a rep named Paige; she was very friendly and sounded like she was doing all she could to check into the issue. After two weeks I have found out that Toyota will not do anything to help resolve this issue.

Any suggestions from anyone on how to get Toyota or the dealership to acknowledge the warranty enhancement program would be appreciated!!