2006-2007 Toyota Highlander, 2004-2009 Prius Brake Actuator Warranty Extension ZG1

Lewis

Staff member

Subject: Warranty Enhancement Program – ZG1
2006-2007 Model Year Highlander Hybrid &
2004-2009 Model Year Prius Vehicles
Extension of Warranty Coverage for Brake Actuator Assembly

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for the Brake Actuator Assembly on certain 2006-2007 MY Highlander Hybrid and Certain 2004-2009 MY Prius Vehicles. The ABS and VSC warning lights may be illuminated with codes C1391, C1252, C1253 and/or C1256 may be found in the ABS ECU.

Background:
In these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports where various brake system related warning lamps illuminate due to internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator assembly. Although the Brake Actuator Assembly is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for repairs related to internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly.

Warranty Enhancement Program Details:
This Warranty Enhancement Program provides enhanced coverage to the vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Warranty” as it applies to the Brake Actuator Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program are repairs related to an internal malfunction of the Brake Actuator Assembly. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new Brake Actuator Assembly at no charge under the terms of this Warranty Enhancement Program. See TSB 0032-16 Rev 1

• The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until December 31, 2017, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage end, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in late April, 2016 and will be mailed over several months.
There are approximately 736,000 Vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

In these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports where various brake system related warning lamps illuminate due to internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator assembly. Although the Brake Actuator Assembly is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for repairs related to internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly.

What is Toyota going to do?
Owners of vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program will receive an owner letter via first class mail starting in late April, 2016. If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will replace the Brake Actuator Assembly with a new one at NO CHARGE to the customer under the terms and conditions of this warranty enhancement program.

What should an owner do if they experience this condition?
If an owner thinks that they have experienced the condition described in this Warranty Enhancement Program, they should contact their local Toyota dealer for appropriate diagnosis and repair. If the condition is verified as being in accordance with the terms of the warranty extension, the repair will be performed at no charge under the terms and conditions of this warranty enhancement program.

What if I previously paid for repairs related to this Warranty Enhancement Program?
Reimbursement consideration instructions will be provided in the owner letter.

R

RJ Ga

Could you places define primary/secondary coverage, as my vehicle has been diagnosed with this issue and I've been told that it's not covered.

Thanks in Advance

OishiiJPN

Staff member
The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until December 31, 2017, regardless of mileage.

After the Primary Coverage end, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

R

RJ GA

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until December 31, 2017, regardless of mileage.

After the Primary Coverage end, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I get the "rules" as explained before, just still not sure what exactly the coverages are, the service person gave me the "rules" of secondary coverage as to why I wasn't covered. I think I'll get more info from the corporate number than I will talking to the dealership service dept, they just seem to want money.

R

RJ GA

I get the "rules" as explained before, just still not sure what exactly the coverages are, the service person gave me the "rules" of secondary coverage as to why I wasn't covered. I think I'll get more info from the corporate number than I will talking to the dealership service dept, they just seem to want money.

I just wanted to Thank You Again, I called Toyota and they in turn called the dealership, just got my truck back yesterday. NO LIGHTS, and NO BILL!!!!

J

John McLean

I have the same problem, as do many others, in the 2008 Hylander Hybrid. No warranty extension, please explain. I'm perplexed, and my 16 year old is stuck with an 8 year old quality car and a $3500 quote

Lewis

Staff member
I have the same problem, as do many others, in the 2008 Hylander Hybrid. No warranty extension, please explain. I'm perplexed, and my 16 year old is stuck with an 8 year old quality car and a $3500 quote
John, sorry to hear this has happened. I don't know why Toyota cut the year/VIN range shorter than your vehicle. Have you tried to call Toyota about this yet? (1-800-331-4331)

Leeda Safa

Does this apply to owners of 2004 prius' who bought used from previous original owner? I am wanting to confirm that no matter what, if you are an owner of a 2004-2009 Prius, then this ext warranty can apply to you even if you are not the original owner? Fingers crossed! This ext warranty would mean the world to me. Thank you for your help!

Lewis

Staff member
Does this apply to owners of 2004 prius' who bought used from previous original owner? I am wanting to confirm that no matter what, if you are an owner of a 2004-2009 Prius, then this ext warranty can apply to you even if you are not the original owner? Fingers crossed! This ext warranty would mean the world to me. Thank you for your help!
Yes, if you are the owner, original or the one who just bought it or even the one who bought it after the one who just bought it, you're covered. The warranty enhancement is for the vehicle itself regardless of how many people have owned it.

L

LoraLee

I'm struggling with this warranty enhancement for the brake actuator assembly for my 2006 prius. I recieved the notice in summer of 2016. My car was put into service in January 2016. Already 6 months after service and I hace 160,000 miles. I have the brake problem...what the enhancement notice doesn't indicate is that it is not just the dash lights that indicate the problem. There is also a noise when the brakes are applied while standing. A groaning, talking, noise. This detail is in the TSB.

My local toyota dealership has told me that this warranty does not apply to my situation. They did what the TSB indicated to do...bleed the brake lines and see if the noise would go away. The noise is still there. The dealership indicates that the warranty enhancement is not applicable because the car has been in service more than 10 years.

That's not how I read the notice from Toyota...it says that the PRIMARY coverage warranty goes until 12/31/17 regardless of mileage...
SECONDARY ends 10 years from date of service or 150,000 whichever comes first.

HELP me understand why the Primary coverage doesn't apply?

T

Tar

I'm struggling with this warranty enhancement for the brake actuator assembly for my 2006 prius. I recieved the notice in summer of 2016. My car was put into service in January 2016. Already 6 months after service and I hace 160,000 miles. I have the brake problem...what the enhancement notice doesn't indicate is that it is not just the dash lights that indicate the problem. There is also a noise when the brakes are applied while standing. A groaning, talking, noise. This detail is in the TSB.

My local toyota dealership has told me that this warranty does not apply to my situation. They did what the TSB indicated to do...bleed the brake lines and see if the noise would go away. The noise is still there. The dealership indicates that the warranty enhancement is not applicable because the car has been in service more than 10 years.

That's not how I read the notice from Toyota...it says that the PRIMARY coverage warranty goes until 12/31/17 regardless of mileage...
SECONDARY ends 10 years from date of service or 150,000 whichever comes first.

HELP me understand why the Primary coverage doesn't apply?

Charles Jones

I have a 2004 Prius that I took in to Toyota to get the brake actuator replaced under the enhanced warranty. The brake actuator was running continously making the buzzzzzzz knock knock knock knock knock sound over and over interrupted briefly if you pushed and released the brake pedal. If you pressed and held the brake down the knocking when speed up to a softer puttering sound until you released the pedal.

Toyota bled the brakes with the scan tool hooked up to clear any trapped air in the actuator but the problem continued and they concluded it must be a internal defect or leak in the actuator assembly not allowing for it to accumulate enough fluid therefore continuing to run excessively. They were about to order the actuator but some pencil pushers at headquarters would not allow since the lights were not lit up although they had shown before but the codes were cleared when I had another hybrid battery installed.

I wondering if these warning lights are so reliable why are they not lighting up for an obviously malfunctioning actuator?

So if no warning light are on according to them it must not have any problems thus safe to drive even though their own mechanics identified a problem through physical diagnosis.

So Toyota would rather put their bottom line ahead of my bottom's safety.

Also with the actuator running non-stop it will fail eventually and their perfect light warning system will finally detect something that a trained mechanic has identified.

I called customer service which was like speaking to a robot reading prepared scripts, talking over me and basically blowing me off. There is no considerations or appeals process or anything.

I need to bring this to the attention to the regulatory agency over recalls or enhanced warranties about this dogmatic narrow-minded stipulation restriction.

I wonder if the person or persons that wrote this knew their daughter was driving a car in this condition would they think differently.

Again if the warning lights are so reliable why have the obviously missed something my own listening skills caught and then a Toyota mechanic diagnosed.

R

Rizwan Mahmood

I have same codes c1256 & c1391 showing in my Toyota Prius 2008. The car was imported from Japan and I amusing it in Pakistan. Please advise if I can claim its worrenty from Toyota Pakistan?

Rizwan Mahmood

I have same codes c1256 & c1391 showing in my Toyota Prius 2008. The car was imported from Japan and I amusing it in Pakistan. Please advise if I can claim its worrenty from Toyota Pakistan?

12 minutes agoReport
LikeReply

Subject:
Warranty Enhancement Program – ZG1

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for the Brake Actuator Assembly on certain 2006-2007 MY Highlander Hybrid and Certain 2004-2009 MY Prius Vehicles. The ABS and VSC warning lights may be illuminated with codes C1391, C1252, C1253 and/or C1256 may be found in the ABS ECU.

Background:

This Warranty Enhancement Program provides enhanced coverage to the vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Warranty” as it applies to the Brake Actuator Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program are repairs related to an internal malfunction of the Brake Actuator Assembly. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new Brake Actuator Assembly at no charge under the terms of this Warranty Enhancement Program. See TSB 0032-16

• The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until December 31, 2017, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage end, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Toyota will begin to notify owners in late April, 2016 and will be mailed over several months.
There are approximately 736,000 Vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

What is the condition?

Owners of vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program will receive an owner letter via first class mail starting in late April, 2016. If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will replace the Brake Actuator Assembly with a new one at NO CHARGE to the customer under the terms and conditions of this warranty enhancement program.

If an owner thinks that they have experienced the condition described in this Warranty Enhancement Program, they should contact their local Toyota dealer for appropriate diagnosis and repair. If the condition is verified as being in accordance with the terms of the warranty extension, the repair will be performed at no charge under the terms and conditions of this warranty enhancement program.

What if I previously paid for repairs related to this Warranty Enhancement Program?

D

DAW

Hi-
I just brought my 2006 Highlander Hybrid in to the dealership for this, the dashboard lights and the "Check VSC System" lights came on. The dealership told me it was the brake actuator and that the cost would be about $2500.00 +tax to fix (which brings the total closer to about $2700+ since I live in Southern California).
I came across this thread and was wondering if I should just bring a copy of the letter in to them and inquire about it since I don't remember receiving a letter like this... If so, do I just ask about this warranty enhancement program? I guess my question is, since I didn't receive the letter to begin with, can I just go in with a copy of the letter?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

S

Sue Allred

We had an error message "VSC Warning", I think, come up on our 2006 Highlander Hybrid recently. Then it wouldn't start. Hubs did some research and ended up replacing the battery. At about the same time, an occasional thumping noise would occur when the brakes were depressed - moving or not. The only way to get it to stop is to release the brake completely.

Suspecting that it was an ABS issue and not the brakes themselves, we took it to our mechanic who reluctantly told us we had to take it to the dealer as they were unable to get a reading off of the computer. At the dealership they told us that we most likely were covered by the Warranty Enhancement Program, but that they couldn't do anything without the codes. Said codes were wiped out when we replaced the battery. Dealership claims that the vehicle is still safe to drive.

The noise is getting worse and when even moderate braking (which I try to avoid as much as possible), it creates a jerky stop - almost like it would feel if the brake pads were pressing on an oval shaped brake drum, rather than a round one. Not to mention the thumping. The really loud thumping.

We are not able to afford the roughly $3000 repair on a vehicle with over 200,000 miles on it. But I don't want to be driving an unsafe vehicle waiting for the mysterious codes to appear.

Does anyone know how to make the codes come back? Has anyone else had this issue? A different mechanic recommended that we try taking it to a Lexus dealership.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
should just bring a copy of the letter in to them and inquire about it since I don't remember receiving a letter like this... If so, do I just ask about this warranty enhancement program? I guess my question is, since I didn't receive the letter to begin with, can I just go in with a copy of the letter?
Yes and yes. They either don't know about this warranty extension or would rather have you pay, IDK.
Just print out the letter above and give it to them. If needed, get Toyota involved via a case number when you call them.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
At the dealership they told us that we most likely were covered by the Warranty Enhancement Program, but that they couldn't do anything without the codes.
This is true. Toyota has laid out a process that the Dealer must follow.

A different mechanic recommended that we try taking it to a Lexus dealership.
The is not true, Lexus will not be able to help repair this concern.

M

Mura

Does this apply for Puerto Rico?

Subject:
Warranty Enhancement Program – ZG1

Background:

This Warranty Enhancement Program provides enhanced coverage to the vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Warranty” as it applies to the Brake Actuator Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program are repairs related to an internal malfunction of the Brake Actuator Assembly. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new Brake Actuator Assembly at no charge under the terms of this Warranty Enhancement Program. See TSB 0032-16

What is the condition?