1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2006-2011 Toyota Rav4 Rear Lower Suspension Arm Recall G0V

Discussion in 'Recalls' started by OishiiJPN, Aug 28, 2016.

1. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

This is a 3rd time Recall for this concern because some vehicles were found to not be repaired properly with the first two attempts. The first two were the C0J and then CSJ.

[​IMG]

Subject:
    Safety Recall G0V - Remedy Notice
    2006 to 2011 RAV4 Vehicles Rear Lower Suspension Arm (No. 1) Assemblies

On August 10th , Toyota filed an amended Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to change the remedy on certain 2006 to 2011 model year RAV4 vehicles.

Background:
    Safety Recall G0V applies to a specific population of 2006-2011 model year RAV4 vehicles involved in Toyota’s previous recall related to the Rear Lower Suspension Arm No. 1. The previous recall included the inspection of the suspension arm assemblies for corrosion and, if necessary, replacement of the suspension arm assemblies on the subject vehicles. In some cases, corroded arms may not have been identified and replaced. Moving forward, any vehicle that has not already had both rear lower suspension arms replaced under the previous recall remedy are now included in this new Safety Recall. Customers with these vehicles will be asked to return to the dealership for the revised remedy procedure. This remedy will be performed at NO CHARGE to the customer.

Condition:
    In the earlier action, if the nuts for adjusting rear wheel alignment were improperly tightened when an alignment was performed, rust could form on suspension arm threads. If this occurs, and if the condition is not identified and remedied during servicing or repair under the existing remedy procedure, the threads can wear over time, causing the arm to separate, which could result in a loss of vehicle control. Remedy The remedy will involve the replacement of BOTH suspension arms and encasing them in epoxy. An alignment will be performed, as well, and warning labels will be applied.

Covered Vehicles:
    There are approximately 329,000 2006-2011 RAV4 vehicles covered by this Safety Recall. There are approximately 9,400 vehicles covered by this Safety Recall that were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
    Toyota will notify owners in September of 2016.

2. Susan Hegg

Susan Hegg Guest

What the recall does not address is the issue performing a rear-end alignment on the vehicles affected by this recall. A rear-end alignment will now consist of REMOVING the epoxy applied for this recall, aligning the rear end and REPLACING the above. The cost of a rear-end alignment to the vehicle owner will now include $468 for the epoxy kit PLUS the added labor to remove and reapply the epoxy. This is the "fix" for the design or design implementation flaw in the rear-end control arm that Toyota has put in place. This is not acceptable. When I purchased the Toyota Rav4 the cost of a rear-end alignment was less than half the current cost with this "fix" in place. I feel that Toyota is just screwing their customers for their design flaw and I will be trading in my Rav4 as soon as I can. I will not be replacing it with another Toyota product because of this experience.

It is sad to think that this is the third try to repair this issue and this is the best that Toyota can come up with, make the customer pay more for the pleasure of owning a supposedly reliable and low maintenance cost vehicle.

Thank you

OishiiJPN likes this.
  3. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

Agreed.

5. On February 4th 2017 i took my toyota RAV4 into my dealership at Toyota Trinidad and Tobago Ltd. in Trinidad where i live to have the Rear Suspension Arm changed. I was given paperwork following the procedure stating that it was changed. On May 2nd 2017 while my son was driving the vehicle, the Rear Suspension arm separated causing him to pull off the road because the right rear tyre was bent out of place. On contacting the dealership, i was told that they had not changed the part but had put in a clip to hold it in place because they were given directive that on initial check when the vehicle was brought in for the recall, if there was nothing wrong with the part, to put a clip in place to hold it together. Today is May 25th and my vehicle is still down as they are trying to source the replacement part. I have lost all confidence in the TOYOTA BRAND.