2006-2012 Toyota Rav4 Rear Differential Warranty Extension LSC ZF4

N

Nick rav4 07

Can anyone give me more information on this. I have a 07 rav4 that dose not have a growling noise but the coupler is loose and rattles. Any help would be appreciated

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Can anyone give me more information on this. I have a 07 rav4 that dose not have a growling noise but the coupler is loose and rattles. Any help would be appreciated
It sounds like to me it qualifies enough. If it is making noise like a rattle versus a growl, this I would believe should qualify. Have you had a Toyota Dealer check it out yet?

R

Renee

My 2011 RAV4 has been making a whining sound from the rear end and we thought it was the wear bars on my tires. Today I have new tires installed and the technicians at the tire shop said the sound is coming from the rear end differential. I have 75000 miles so I'm out the standard 60K warranty but also past the April 30, 2017 primary coverage date. Does this mean I fall into the secondary coverage? I have an appt with Toyota service on Monday to diagnose and I'd like to be armed with as much knowledge as I can. Also, toyota has performed every maintenance service until 5K miles ago and never once mentioned this extension to the warranty. I'll be anxious to hear if they offer it once diagnosed.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
My 2011 RAV4 has been making a whining sound from the rear end and we thought it was the wear bars on my tires. Today I have new tires installed and the technicians at the tire shop said the sound is coming from the rear end differential. I have 75000 miles so I'm out the standard 60K warranty but also past the April 30, 2017 primary coverage date. Does this mean I fall into the secondary coverage? I have an appt with Toyota service on Monday to diagnose and I'd like to be armed with as much knowledge as I can. Also, toyota has performed every maintenance service until 5K miles ago and never once mentioned this extension to the warranty. I'll be anxious to hear if they offer it once diagnosed.
I apologize for seeing this late. It looks like you should qualify for the secondary coverage till 2020 with unlimited mileage but your Toyota Dealer will have to verify that the noise is coming from the rear 4wd differential. If you see this reply, please let us know how your appointment went. Thanks!

L

lulu

Am having the coupler repair AND right rear wheel bearing replaced today on my 2011 RAV4. Fortunately, diff. work is covered by extended warranty. RRear wb is NOT covered. Am paying $450+ tax out of pocket for that work alone. Hoping it goes well... My RAV has 55,000 miles. We've been hearing the growling noise for some time. Is the r. rear wheel bearing problem related to the rear differential issue?
Thank you.

Lewis

Staff member
Am having the coupler repair AND right rear wheel bearing replaced today on my 2011 RAV4. Fortunately, diff. work is covered by extended warranty. RRear wb is NOT covered. Am paying $450+ tax out of pocket for that work alone. Hoping it goes well... My RAV has 55,000 miles. We've been hearing the growling noise for some time. Is the r. rear wheel bearing problem related to the rear differential issue?
Thank you.
The wheel bearing is covered by the power train warranty 5year/60,000 miles, so no, it wouldn't be covered.

K

Kyle

Good Morning-

I recently took my 08 Rav4 into my local dealership for grinding noise. Since I just bought the car, I didn't know if the coupling was replaced already under the warranty extension program. The service department did say that the work was done already and the only thing that they could do now was replace the whole rear differential. I asked them if maybe they could just go ahead and replace the coupling again and without hesitation the service tech said no because the part failed the only way to fix the problem is replace the diff. It is possible that my vehicle would be covered for the secondary warranty? I just cant afford a bill of $3400 to replace the whole differential.

Thanks.

J

Joanna

Hello,

I have 2011 rav4, issue with growl sound took in viscous coulpling leaking. No mention at dealership of this issue but it sounds like I could have a claim. Not sure, any feedback would be helpful

Details

Both front axel shafts making noise and leaking
Found viscous coupling leaking
Found right rear axel seal leaking

Work estimate 3500$

2006 rav4 owner

I just found out from my mechanic that my rear differential is having a problem. He said to contact toyota about the recall as he is aware that this problem is consistent with rav4 2006-2012. I would like to know how to address this. Is my car going to fall apart? What are my options.

MG

I just found out from my mechanic that my rear differential is having a problem. He said to contact toyota about the recall as he is aware that this problem is consistent with rav4 2006-2012. I would like to know how to address this. Is my car going to fall apart? What are my options.
This is not a Recall. It is a warranty extension and you will to visit your local Toyota Dealer to have them look at it. If it is covered, then they should fix this for free.

D

Donna

Subject: Warranty Enhancement Program – ZF4
2006 – 2012 RAV4 4WD vehicles Extension of Warranty Coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise

In our continuing efforts to help ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise on 2006-2012 model year RAV4 4WD vehicles.

In some of these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports that the vehicle may exhibit a growl type noise from the rear differential coupling when driving due to contamination of the front bearing.

Although the Rear Differential Assembly is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Powertrain Warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about our customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise in the covered vehicles.

Owner Notification Letter Mailing Date:
The owner notification will commence in early January, 2015 and will be mailed over several months.

Warranty Enhancement Program Details:
This Warranty Enhancement Program provides a Primary and Secondary coverage to the vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Powertain Warranty” as it applies to the Rear Differential Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program is Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise.

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until April 30, 2017, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 9 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage.

Please note:
• This coverage is for warranty work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only.
• Damage incurred from abuse, an accident, vandalism or non-warrantable causes are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or this Warranty Enhancement Program.

There are approximately 670,000 Vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

D

Donna

i've been taking my car to the dealership for maintenance and oil changes. they have never completely performed all the recalls out there. i asked them on my last visit and the service writer looked them up and acted surprised. I asked why they hadn't been looking them up and completing them and he said "we'll do it next time you're here" since then i haven't gone back.
I did take it back this week and they performed 5 recalls and an oil change.
today when i was driving i could hear the growling still. in looking at the paperwork i noticed the differential bearing recall was not on the receipt. in looking it up here i see it is no longer covered, it's about 35 day past the secondary coverage.
would this be covered under Toyota "goodwill" as they never completed them when they had my car in the past?

R

Rav2009Owner

I have a 2009 RAV4 which was purchased via personal sale two years ago. I heard a growling noise over a year ago and took it to my local dealer. They were unable to replicate the noise, so I took time off work and drove it to create the noise. It stopped for awhile, but returned. I took it to a non-Toyota mechanic last week, got it to make the noise, and they informed me of the warranty enhancement. I called the local dealer today and was told that I was outside of the coverage period (one person told me it expired 8 months ago, the second one said May). After being directed to call the wrong department by my local dealer (extended warranty and I needed factory warranty), I spoke to someone at Toyota. Due to the note In the history of not being able to replicate the noise, there is nothing they can do for me. I am going to a dealer 40 minutes away tomorrow to have it looked at and determine if this is the issue. Seeing the possible costs out of pocket to replace this is disheartening, especially if it could have been taken care of under the secondary coverage. Just really disappointed...

K

karatetk

I have a 2010 RAV 4 4WD sport. just purchased a few days ago. it has a growl, took it to the dealership and they properly diagnosed it with this rear differential TSB. unfortunately they also told me that it is not covered and my coverage ended in September (9 years past manufacture date). told me it would be a $2400 repair that i cannot afford. is there any way to get this covered, even partially? and is it a safety hazard? im moving on january 11th and would be driving 3,000 miles. kind of in a panic. my last toyota lasted me 265,000 miles, still runs fine, just cosmetically falling apart and decided to upgrade. is there really nothing that can be done? how would i request a goodwill repair. looking for any and all loopholes here. thank you.

M

Mechanic's Girl

I have a Canadian 2008 Rav4. I bought it new and it now has 230,000 km on it. Shortly before Christmas 2018 the whining in the rear end started. I took it to the shop today for an oil change and asked that they check out the whine. Turns out that the viscous coupler is failing. Until today, I wasn't aware of the warrantee extension. I stopped taking my vehicle to a Toyota dealer a few years ago and pretty sure that I didn't receive anything about the extension in the mail. I've found this site to be a wealth of information. I'm going to contact Toyota and see if there's anything they can do for me. I'm well past the secondary extension so probably out of luck. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

K

Kristin

I purchased an used 2007 rav4 in 2015 and in 2016 the rear coupler went out there was no warranty so we had our mechanic replace it and now 3 yrs it has went out again and again no warranty what is going on with this part Ive complained to Toyota and see it is a problem but why haven't they issued a recall

K

Kristin

I purchased an used 2007 rav4 in 2015 and in 2016 the rear coupler went out there was no warranty so we had our mechanic replace it and now 3 yrs it has went out again and again no warranty what is going on with this part Ive complained to Toyota and see it is a problem but why haven't they issued a recall
Also everyone needs to file a complaint with the dept of safety 888-327-4236 hopefully this will push them to do a recall

L

Lynda

I bought an 07 rav4 sport in may 2018 and it needs the differential repaired. does the extended warranty apply to me?

A

allen johnson

My rav 4 with 183000 miles has growling sound and whistling
told it was diff coupling
was told it was 1700+ said I didn’t have warranty left buxt I read somewhere it was unlimited mileage.
i had taken this rav 4 in for oil change every time maitenance light came on
i did not see notice about this problem and when I seen notice I took inti dealership
i would have expeted dealer to check on this problem
so what is my recourse

OishiiJPN

Staff member
My rav 4 with 183000 miles has growling sound and whistling
told it was diff coupling
was told it was 1700+ said I didn’t have warranty left buxt I read somewhere it was unlimited mileage.
i had taken this rav 4 in for oil change every time maitenance light came on
i did not see notice about this problem and when I seen notice I took inti dealership
i would have expeted dealer to check on this problem
so what is my recourse
Please see this document.