2007-2011 Toyota Sienna, Highlander and Venza Engine Oil Cooler Pipe Leak LSC ZE2

L

Leslie

My 2008 very clean Highlander just had this problem last night during a heave thunderstorm. I took my vehicle to my mechanic who immediately diagnosed the issue. He stated that I lost 3 quarts of oil and got there just in time, seems no damage to the issue. I called Toyota after seeing that this was an issue with Highlanders, and other Toyota models. The representative from Toyota did a vin check and stated that my vehicle was not included in the recall. Wonder why!! I'm going to send in my receipt in hopes that I will be compensated for this issue that should have been solved by recall!

L

Leslie

Did you send your receipt into Toyota? I had my 2009 Highland experience this same issue and was lucky to make it home after the oil light came on. Toyota called me back today and said my vehicle was "placed into use" 12/8/2008 therefore my warranty is expired. I am a 2nd owner and knew nothing about this warranty extension. All they could say is "sorry". Oil is ALL OVER THE PLACE! so towing to shop to get fixed.

S

steven

My 2008 very clean Highlander just had this problem last night during a heave thunderstorm. I took my vehicle to my mechanic who immediately diagnosed the issue. He stated that I lost 3 quarts of oil and got there just in time, seems no damage to the issue. I called Toyota after seeing that this was an issue with Highlanders, and other Toyota models. The representative from Toyota did a vin check and stated that my vehicle was not included in the recall. Wonder why!! I'm going to send in my receipt in hopes that I will be compensated for this issue that should have been solved by recall!

I've owned a 2011 Sienna for 9 and half years and driven around 84K.I drove it last Friday afternoon and it was smooth at the beginning and then I smelt a burning smell. after minutes, no oil pressure alert light was on, I pulled off my car to a nearby parking lot and checked my engine and found it leaked all the oil with nothing left. I made appointment today's morning for check and was told my car got a broken Oil Cooler Pipe that was covered under ZE2 and I needed to pay nothing. I recommend all the others having the same issues pulling their cars to a local dealer for quick and worry-free service!

BGroot

I've owned a 2011 Sienna for 9 and half years and driven around 84K.I drove it last Friday afternoon and it was smooth at the beginning and then I smelt a burning smell. after minutes, no oil pressure alert light was on, I pulled off my car to a nearby parking lot and checked my engine and found it leaked all the oil with nothing left. I made appointment today's morning for check and was told my car got a broken Oil Cooler Pipe that was covered under ZE2 and I needed to pay nothing. I recommend all the others having the same issues pulling their cars to a local dealer for quick and worry-free service!
This is because your Sienna fell under the secondary portion: The Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the (DOFU) Date Of First Use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first. I'm happy for you! :)

D

Derek Pearson

I’ll add to the saga. 2008 highlander here with 93k miles. Wife was driving, engine sounded wierd, then low oil pressure light came on. Luckily she was just a few blocks from home, pulled over. I took a look, determined I thought it was probably the oil cooler lines, had it towed to dealer. $560 later, oil cooler line replaced. My highlander was first in service 12/17, so I was over time, but under miles. I called Toyota cust service and they said they would not reimburse at all, not even consider a goodwill. I don’t know how this company got away with letting an obvious defect be dealt with by a warranty extension vs a recall. If my wife had been on the freeway and could t pull over safely this could have been driving an engine with no oil, leading to engine failure! If anyone has news on class action I think it should be considered.

D

Derek Pearson

I had the same thing happen to me with my 2008 Highlander in 4/19 w/ 125,000. Dropped all the oil on the freeway and blew my motor w/o indication of oil being low. Was with my handicapped friend and am considering a lawsuit against Toyota if they will not make me whole. This is dangerous as I lost brakes and power-steering. VERY DANGEROUS SAFETY ISSUE TOYOTA. Do the right thing before someone dies from your flawed design. Anyone interested in joining forces please email me at derekspearson@gmail.com

P

Pete G

Call me a sucker but I purchase a 2017 sienna and have a 2007 - the 2007 (85k) just spewed 60 bucks work of oil from faulty oil cooling lines all over the street- which I know Toyota wouldn't cover, the sliding doors don't work because of their faulty cable designs (BTW dont think they fixed the sliding door issue with 2017 cuz its attaching up) - I've driven durrangos and explores into the dirt without as many issues that I have with the Toyota brand.. guess its time to wake up and buy American...

G

I am amazed at what shops are charging to replace these oil cooler line (not to replace the engine). I have seen the parts kit go for about $60 and it is about an hour job, 2 the most. There is another problem like this, it is called the vvt-i oil line that has a rubber section that is known to leak oil as well. Research into that and replace it with all the metal line before it is too late.

P

PMLewis

The oil cooler tube just blew on my 2010 Highlander. 162,000 miles, 122 months. $485 to fix at the dealer. Luckily, it happened close to home and most of the oil wound up on the driveway and no damage to the engine. Seems like a plastic tube should be a lifetime part. But at least the dealer took 10% off when I complained!:eek:

T

Thomas French

Same issue with the oil cooling line on my 2011 Highlander with 94K miles on it, Fixed at Lou Fusz Toyota in St Louis for 939.00plus my 125.00 tow. Called Toyota Assistance line and talked to Lou Fusz, no help from Toyota. A real shame since this is a known issue with them, they never did a recall, just an Enhanced Service Campaign which means they sent a letter to the Dealers to fix any issues customers have at no charge, after you lost all of your oil a ruined your vehicle

MG

Same issue with the oil cooling line on my 2011 Highlander with 94K miles on it, Fixed at Lou Fusz Toyota in St Louis for 939.00plus my 125.00 tow. Called Toyota Assistance line and talked to Lou Fusz, no help from Toyota. A real shame since this is a known issue with them, they never did a recall, just an Enhanced Service Campaign which means they sent a letter to the Dealers to fix any issues customers have at no charge, after you lost all of your oil a ruined your vehicle
How to Report a Safety Problem on a Toyota Vehicle

J

JT Mathews

We have had 2 Toyota's with this same issue. Toyota will NOT stand behind their vehicles and cover the repair because the 2nd one fell 2 months outside of the window. This should've fallen under a recall and been repaired by Toyota. Instead they send an advisory bulletin to the dealers instructing them to repair it if the issue arises AND ONLY if it occurs. They fail around the 10 year timeframe and that is the expiration Toyota conveniently puts on the bulletin because they are hoping they won't have to cover the costs of the repair. I called Toyota several times and they simply DO NOT CARE if the consumer gets screwed by a faulty part in their vehicles and has to pay the cost of repair for a known issue.

D

David st

I am not only being reimbursed for the repair of my 2010 Sienna, but they are also reimbursing me for rental car, hotel bill, and towing. The engine was blown and I also got a brand new small block put in.
I had a local mechanic repair the first oil line that leaked, Toyota said they would reimburse me, but no matter what paperwork I submitted, it wasn't enough. When the second line burst, that was when I found out about the recall and took it to the Toyota dealership. They KNEW this was a problem that very well could lead to a totally destroyed engine, yet they failed to notify me. I guess their bean counters crunched the numbers and figured it was cheaper to replace the a few thousand ruined engines than to issue a recall for hundreds of thousands.

N

Nina Hall

I bought my 2010 Toyota Highlander in March of 2021. I have had to replace the engine oil cooler pipe 3 times as of today. Since I just got my car at the beginning of the year and had no clue about this problem what should my next step be to get this fixed permanently before my engine blows up?

AutoMod

Staff member
I bought my 2010 Toyota Highlander in March of 2021. I have had to replace the engine oil cooler pipe 3 times as of today. Since I just got my car at the beginning of the year and had no clue about this problem what should my next step be to get this fixed permanently before my engine blows up?
This seems to be highly unusual for this to be needed three times. Please make sure that you are using a genuine Toyota part ( Genuine Toyota 15767-31020 Engine Oil Cooler Pipe) and you may want to seek help from the Dealer to see what is going on.

M

Melissa W

I’ll add to the saga. 2008 highlander here with 93k miles. Wife was driving, engine sounded wierd, then low oil pressure light came on. Luckily she was just a few blocks from home, pulled over. I took a look, determined I thought it was probably the oil cooler lines, had it towed to dealer. $560 later, oil cooler line replaced. My highlander was first in service 12/17, so I was over time, but under miles. I called Toyota cust service and they said they would not reimburse at all, not even consider a goodwill. I don’t know how this company got away with letting an obvious defect be dealt with by a warranty extension vs a recall. If my wife had been on the freeway and could t pull over safely this could have been driving an engine with no oil, leading to engine failure! If anyone has news on class action I think it should be considered.

M

Melissa W

Bought my 2010 Highlander brand new back in 2010. Today I’m at 86000 miles it is June 16 2022. Yesterday my oil cooler line did this spilling oil everywhere. Shop wants almost 3 grand to fix. Taking this to the actual dealer tomorrow had no idea there was this thing! Why is this not a recall?!?!?!? Help!!!! Where is the lawyers?!?! Someone contact us! Toyota do something!!! I cannot trust a company that puts this much stress on a loyal customer! No way! Too many people here. That warranty which I never heard about and I always owned my suv, and always lived at my address and never got a notice about this!!! But whatever that is it’s looks like that ran out way before it should had for ppl like me. My 2010 is only at 86000 miles in 2022 is why mine is like this now! Fix it toyota! Make it recall! Class action something! Can I get a lawyer for this?

M

Melissa W

I agree that this is a considerable safety issue. A recall would be much more appropriate for both road safety and for consumer protection. A suspected blown cooler line just happened to me last night, and I was very distracted when I realized my 2011 sienna (about 125k miles) went from providing normal responsiveness to giving incomprehensible feedback within seconds. A "low oil" message flashed once on the center console as I was pulling out of a gas station into traffic. This light did not return. No other lights lit up at any time. Immediately, however, I noticed hesitation when trying to accelerate. I thought that it was an electrical problem at that point, perhaps it was affecting the fuel injectors. Then I noticed a clicking noise coming from the engine. At that point, I pulled over at the next safest opportunity and turned off the vehicle. I popped the hood and noticed oil everywhere toward the bottom of the engine compartment/underside of the vehicle. The dip stick was dry. This all happened within .75 miles on a two lane state highway (one lane in each direction) with a 55 mph speed limit. I certainly wasn't driving defensively during this time, and I had very minimal awareness of any vehicles around me. The acceleration issue could have been catastrophic if I had tried to beat traffic that was far enough away to proceed, yet close enough to think twice. Fortunately, I'm not an aggressive driver, and I waited. The whole experience has baffled me as I've never experienced such a complete and sudden failure while driving a vehicle. I will report this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). A quick search shows that you can report your safety concerns here (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/) or here (1-888-327-4236). Please speak up where it matters.
I totally just reported mine here! I hope everyone does! Thank you sooooo much for sharing this.

M

Melissa W

I had the same thing happen to me with my 2008 Highlander in 4/19 w/ 125,000. Dropped all the oil on the freeway and blew my motor w/o indication of oil being low. Was with my handicapped friend and am considering a lawsuit against Toyota if they will not make me whole. This is dangerous as I lost brakes and power-steering. VERY DANGEROUS SAFETY ISSUE TOYOTA. Do the right thing before someone dies from your flawed design. Anyone interested in joining forces please email me at derekspearson@gmail.com
Yes did anything ever happen for you? That is terrifying this just happened to me! I just complained on that safety site! The nhsft or whatever someone had posted the link previously I added all my info vin and estimate for repair incident report everything