2008-2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Coverage for Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly CSP ZKC

MG

Please Read CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM BULLETIN ZKC

Subject: Customer Support Program / Warranty Extension ZKC
2008-2010 Model Year Highlander Hybrid Vehicles Coverage for Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly on certain 2008- 2010 model year Highlander Hybrid vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received reports regarding the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly on certain 2008 - 2010 model year Highlander Hybrid vehicles. These reports have indicated certain internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly.

Although the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for normal warranty coverage period, 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies.

Customer Support Program Details:
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program refers to certain internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly. In addition to certain internal malfunctions, specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) C1391, C1252, C1256 or C1253 may be stored in the vehicles memory to be used as verification. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

• The Primary Coverage offers coverage until December 31, 2020, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle’s date of first use, whichever occurs first.

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 44,200 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. There are approximately 160 vehicles involved in this Customer Support Program that were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in late June 2019 and will be mailed over several months.

Remedy Procedures:
Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in T-SB-0064-19

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

Toyota has received reports regarding certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies in certain 2008- 2010 model year Highlander Hybrid vehicles. In these reports, customers have noted various brake system related warning lamps are illuminated.

Which brake system warning indicator may be related to these conditions?
If the following warning lamps are illuminated, the vehicle may be experiencing a concern with the Brake Actuator Assembly or Brake Booster Pump Assembly that is covered by this Customer Support Program.

What is Toyota going to do?
Although the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for normal warranty coverage period, 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the certain internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly.

Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail starting in late June 2019, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will replace the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly with a new one FREE OF CHARGE.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Customer Support Program?
There are approximately 44,200 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program.

What are the details of this program?
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

• The Primary Coverage offers coverage until December 31, 2020, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle’s date of first use, whichever occurs first.

Which part(s) are covered by this Customer Support Program?
The specific components covered by this program are as follows

• Brake Actuator Assembly
• Brake Booster Pump Assembly

What should an owner do if experiencing this condition?
If an owner thinks that he/she has experienced the condition described in this Customer Support Program, a local Toyota dealer should be contacted for appropriate diagnosis and repair. If the condition is verified as being in accordance with the terms of the program, the repair will be performed FREE OF CHARGE to the owner.

What if the diagnosis is performed and my vehicle is not covered by the Customer Support Program?
Please be aware that if the condition is not covered by this Customer Support Program, you may be responsible for the initial diagnostic fees and any other repairs you may decide to have performed. Any authorized Toyota dealership can determine if a condition is covered by this Customer Support Program.

What if an owner HAS NOT experienced this condition but would like to have the repair completed?
This Customer Support Program only applies to vehicles that have exhibited the condition described above. If an owner has not experienced the condition, he/she is asked to tear off the sheet included in the owner letter and insert it into the Owner’s Warranty Information Booklet for future reference.

How long will the repair take?
The repair takes approximately two hours. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I previously paid for repairs related to this Customer Support Program?
Reimbursement consideration instructions will be provided in the owner letter.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

P

Peter Frano

MG, my Toyota dealer (which I've been going to for all service since 2011) can't seem to locate one of the parts required to complete above referenced Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly repair for my 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid (~140k).
The dealer originally told me that they had the parts when I brought the car in to show them all the lights etc on the dashboard. I was told me it would cost ~$2,000.00, I had to let them know it was covered. I left the car at the dealer that same day, Tuesday, 3 Dec 2019. The Dealer called back the next day to say "we don't have one of the parts, we will have to order it".
I was also informed that my rear brakes pads needed to be replaced, which I knew from the previous service and they ended up turning one rotor, replacing one rotor and obviously installed new pads.
It is now Thursday 12 Dec 2019 (9 days) and they still can't locate the part in the system. I find it absolutely incredible that they can't get visibility into the Toyota parts system to (1) locate the part, (2) get the part shipped and (3) give me an ETA for the part and subsequent repair.

P

Peter Frano

Dealer just called ...not 10 minutes after I posted above...that the part had arrived. WOW

R

RyanIL

Hi - is this real? My booster/actuator just went out while out of town earlier today. This is the only mention I can find anywhere on the internet, other than in the YouTube comments that brought me here.

Please post a link the Toyota that I can take to the dealership first thing Monday.

Thanks!!

MG

Hi - is this real? My booster/actuator just went out while out of town earlier today. This is the only mention I can find anywhere on the internet, other than in the YouTube comments that brought me here.

Please post a link the Toyota that I can take to the dealership first thing Monday.

Thanks!!
Here you go...

R

RyanIL

Thanks a million for posting this. I spent hours last night searching for information. I can't express how grateful I am, because there's no other way I'd know before dropping a boatload of cash.

By the way, how does one join this site. There was a banner suggesting visitors become members, but I still haven't found a signup button. lol

BGroot

Thanks a million for posting this. I spent hours last night searching for information. I can't express how grateful I am, because there's no other way I'd know before dropping a boatload of cash.

By the way, how does one join this site. There was a banner suggesting visitors become members, but I still haven't found a signup button. lol
Not op but admin took away the new member signups awhile ago due to spam, trolls and the constatnt need for forum cleaning from what i remember.

R

RyanIL

All of the warning lights had disappeared this am when I took it to Toyota, but the codes were stored. Replacement will be 100% covered. If it takes more than a day, they'll give me a loaner vehicle.

Thanks MG for bringing me here with your YouTube comment. I really appreciate it!

C

Chris1

The ABS actuator on my 2007 Prius is also failing, code C1256, estimated repair cost is $2,603. The enhanced warranty program ended two years ago. Just because mine failed later than others, I have this huge repair bill? I called Toyota's "customer care" people and got absolutely nowhere. The actuator is running most of the time, brake action disturbingly unpredictable, dash lights on but not constantly yet, and I have all of the noises described in this forum. Car is fine otherwise. Now I see they have extended the program for Highlanders but not for the Prius, through 2020!

The pressure on Toyota needs to be turned up. If you own a Prius, PLEASE take five minutes to file a complaint with the NHTSA. It might help.

M

Macky

The ABS actuator on my 2007 Prius is also failing, code C1256, estimated repair cost is $2,603. The enhanced warranty program ended two years ago. Just because mine failed later than others, I have this huge repair bill? I called Toyota's "customer care" people and got absolutely nowhere. The actuator is running most of the time, brake action disturbingly unpredictable, dash lights on but not constantly yet, and I have all of the noises described in this forum. Car is fine otherwise. Now I see they have extended the program for Highlanders but not for the Prius, through 2020!

The pressure on Toyota needs to be turned up. If you own a Prius, PLEASE take five minutes to file a complaint with the NHTSA. It might help.

G

George K

Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly
My 2008 Highlander Hybrid had all of the mentioned warning lights come on in addition to "Check Brake System, Check VSC System, and Check Hybrid System". I had this towed to a local Toyota Dealer who diagnosed this with their Computer to be a problem with the Hybrid Inverter or the Transaxle. The cost to repair would be between $7,000 to $10,000 to which I said I would get another opinion. After doing some research I found this CSP-ZKC Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly. The Brake Booster Pump running frequently even after the vehicle was parked caused the 12 Volt Battery to drain and causing the error messages. I took it to another Toyota Dealer who diagnosed that the Brake Booster Pump was running every 10 seconds due to "LOW ACTUATOR PRESSURE. VEHICLE WILL NOT HOLD PRESSURE. FOUND INTERNAL BRAKE LEAK BETWEEN BOOSTER PUMP ACTUATOR" I pointed out the CSP-ZKC to the Dealer, but unfortunately they said without having the "CODE" in the Computer they could not repair this under Warranty. Since this was a safety issue involving the Brakes I had them do the repair to replace the Brake Actuator Assembly and the Brake Booster Pump Assembly for $3,468, but I would really like to see how I can claim this back under this Customer Support Program? I have pictures showing all of the Warning lights and Error Messages indicating the EXACT problem in this CSP-ZKC. This seems to have fixed my problem

Can someone please help me with how to file this claim?

Thank you!

F

Frank H

I have a doubt about the Warranty
My 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited presents the symptoms of the faulty codes mentioned in this article and i would like to send my car to my Toyota dealership so that they may repair my car, but i would like to know if the Warranty mentioned and all the benfits mentioned are applicable to other countries outside the US; in my case Panama. I'm concerned about the risks of driving my car with the faulty codes and i would like to repair my car as soon as possible.

Could someone help answer my doubts?

Thanks

C

Chris1

I saw this exception, "Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first." But the first use of my 2007 Prius was around 12 years ago, and it has 150,645 miles on the car - Toyota "Customer Care" confirmed on the phone that I'm too late for the secondary coverage too. If anyone knows a way around this hair-splitting, I would like to hear it!

C

Chad Taylor

Subject: Customer Support Program / Warranty Extension ZKC
2008-2010 Model Year Highlander Hybrid Vehicles Coverage for Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly on certain 2008- 2010 model year Highlander Hybrid vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received reports regarding the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly on certain 2008 - 2010 model year Highlander Hybrid vehicles. These reports have indicated certain internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly.

Although the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for normal warranty coverage period, 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies.

Customer Support Program Details:
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program refers to certain internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly. In addition to certain internal malfunctions, specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) C1391, C1252, C1256 or C1253 may be stored in the vehicles memory to be used as verification. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 44,200 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. There are approximately 160 vehicles involved in this Customer Support Program that were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in late June 2019 and will be mailed over several months.

Remedy Procedures:
Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in T-SB-0064-19

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

Toyota has received reports regarding certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies in certain 2008- 2010 model year Highlander Hybrid vehicles. In these reports, customers have noted various brake system related warning lamps are illuminated.

Which brake system warning indicator may be related to these conditions?
If the following warning lamps are illuminated, the vehicle may be experiencing a concern with the Brake Actuator Assembly or Brake Booster Pump Assembly that is covered by this Customer Support Program.

What is Toyota going to do?
Although the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for normal warranty coverage period, 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the certain internal malfunctions of the Brake Actuator Assembly.

Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail starting in late June 2019, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will replace the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly with a new one FREE OF CHARGE.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Customer Support Program?
There are approximately 44,200 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program.

What are the details of this program?
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new Brake Actuator Assembly and Brake Booster Pump Assembly under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

Which part(s) are covered by this Customer Support Program?
The specific components covered by this program are as follows

• Brake Actuator Assembly
• Brake Booster Pump Assembly

What should an owner do if experiencing this condition?
If an owner thinks that he/she has experienced the condition described in this Customer Support Program, a local Toyota dealer should be contacted for appropriate diagnosis and repair. If the condition is verified as being in accordance with the terms of the program, the repair will be performed FREE OF CHARGE to the owner.

What if the diagnosis is performed and my vehicle is not covered by the Customer Support Program?
Please be aware that if the condition is not covered by this Customer Support Program, you may be responsible for the initial diagnostic fees and any other repairs you may decide to have performed. Any authorized Toyota dealership can determine if a condition is covered by this Customer Support Program.

What if an owner HAS NOT experienced this condition but would like to have the repair completed?
This Customer Support Program only applies to vehicles that have exhibited the condition described above. If an owner has not experienced the condition, he/she is asked to tear off the sheet included in the owner letter and insert it into the Owner’s Warranty Information Booklet for future reference.

How long will the repair take?
The repair takes approximately two hours. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I previously paid for repairs related to this Customer Support Program?
Reimbursement consideration instructions will be provided in the owner letter.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

My 2013 Highlander Hybrid is presenting the same problem; error message C1391, booster pump kicking on every 30 seconds, squeaky brake pedal when car has been sitting, warning lights: master warning, 2 brake system lights, ABS light and SLIP indicator. I see the program only covers Highlanders up until model year 2010, but my car's Brake Actuator has the exact same part number as those models. Can I get coverage under the program for my 2013?

C

Chad Taylor

My 2013 Highlander Hybrid is presenting the same problem; error message C1391, booster pump kicking on every 30 seconds, squeaky brake pedal when car has been sitting, warning lights: master warning, 2 brake system lights, ABS light and SLIP indicator. I see the program only covers Highlanders up until model year 2010, but my car's Brake Actuator has the exact same part number as those models. Can I get coverage under the program for my 2013? ??

D

Dakota

I can't seem to find reference to this anywhere else? When I type in my VIN on NHTSA It says that my 2008 Toyota Highlander Hyprid has 0 unrepaired recalls.

I'm hoping this link is true as I just got the c1391 error code. Is there any other source I can reference when I take my vehicle in?