2010-2012 Toyota Prius Coverage for Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs CSP ZHB

J

Janeen

I have a question. If u never got that headlight extended warranty letter but it seems like it may be that issue, will toyota homor the repair without that extendd warranty letter?

R

Rob

I just bought a 2010 Prius with approx. 99k miles on it less then a month ago took it in for the software recall because the previous owner did not want to bother with it and the Toyota dealership saw that my left low beam was out and told me their was a wire harness they needed to install to keep my bulbs working correctly this was of course free of charge. (P.s ) I never received a letter about it if their true to their word they should just fix it end of story!

L

lagoose

I too am experiencing this and never got a letter for recall, but the dealer I took it to said my car would have been covered but I am too late. Well I am too late because I didn’t get the letter. They want to charge me $800 to fix this. What can I do?

T

Traci W

To all of those that visit this forum after 10/31/2019, while the problem still exists, Toyota will NOT cover it. This is a safety issue and should have been a recall. According to Toyota Customer Service, I apparently received the letter in 2017 (although I do not recall it). My car did not start experiencing the problem until right around the time when it expired. I don't know if it was before or slightly after, but in the Fall of 2019, I had to replace my headlights. My thought at the time was, makes sense, they are probably the original bulbs. Subsequently, I had to replace them a second time less than 6 months later, and I now have to replace them yet again. Of course these last two times are definitely after the program expiration. The only offer that Toyota made was that if I have the receipt for the headlights (and if they were replaced prior to the expiration of the program), they will reimburse me. This is little comfort given the expensive repair that I have to have completed. I understand that vehicles require maintenance, but when a design flaw is known and documented, it should be addressed in an appropriate manner and I don't feel that a Customer Service Program is sufficient. In researching this, the model years prior to 2010 also had issues with the headlights that led to a class action suit and I have seen similar complaints regarding 2014 and 2017 (via a complaint on the NHTSA website) models. Obviously, this is an on-going issue and I am extremely disappointed in Toyota, a company that I have always, until now, had a very high regard for. I hope that they change their stance on this issue.

F

fleeSeattle

I have a 2011 Prius. Took it to Toyota of Seattle for a 60K mile tune up in Dec 2017 and then an oil change in May 2019. Toyota Service recommended replacing the headlight bulbs, at a cost of $80, w/out once mentioning the recall/customer support program and offering to replace the harness and bulbs. I said no and had a repair shop near where I live replace the bulbs for $25 (1/3 of what dealer wanted to charge me). Have since had to replace the bulbs 3X. Yet Toyota of Seattle never once mentioned the recall program when I took my car in during the coverage period!!

Now the headlight bulb is out again, and I called Toyota of Lake City that informed me of the recall program but told me that it ended in Oct 2019 so they can't honor it but that I should speak to Toyota Corp. I did, they put me in touch with Toyota of Seattle who gave me some lame ass response that since I didn't mention the recall/support program, they didn't offer it to me. Really? I will be reporting this to the WA Consumer Protection agency as well as the CFPB.

L

Lonnie Wilson

i bought a brand new 2011 prius and have had several bulbs burn out over the years. When I got the TSB in the mail I found out why. I took the car to Rolling Hills in Saint Joseph MO and they refused to cover the repair because the bulb wasn't out at the time. Since then I have had several burn out but was out of town when it happened. Now I see they won't cover the bulb after 2019, wonderful. OK I bought two new toyotas maybe its time to buy something else. Oh yeah I currently have yet ANOTHER burnt out headlight low beam!!

M

Marne carstens

I am having the same issues with my 2010 headlights my passenger head lamp.has failed 3 times in the year since I purchased my prius. How do I get this recall work done now that it is past the stated date

AutoMod

Staff member
I am having the same issues with my 2010 headlights my passenger head lamp.has failed 3 times in the year since I purchased my prius. How do I get this recall work done now that it is past the stated date
Simply put, you will have do perform the work yourself or pay to have it done. This was a Customer Support Program (CSP) issued by Toyota for customer satisfaction. You can read about the differences between Recalls and Warranty Enhancements here.

This CSP is called ZHB and was offered until October 31, 2019, regardless of mileage. They even sent out letters to Prius owners beginning October 2017. If you would like to order the parts and read the instructions, you can do so here.

Also please consider supporting us if you would like us to be able to help other Toyota Owners. Thanks!