1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2010-2014 Prius Excessive Oil Consumption on 2ZR-FXE Engine

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Lewis, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Staff Member

Toyota just released two Technical Service Bulletins on the excessive oil consumption issue regarding the following vehicles...

2010, 2012-2014 Prius PHV (Plug-In)
    2012-2014 Prius V
    2010-2014 Prius

These two Technical Service Bulletins are 0168-16 (Prius Oil Consumption Inspection Procedure) and 0169-16 (Prius Excessive Oil Consumption Repair Procedure) and they outline how to perform the oil consumption test and how to install the updated piston rings and pistons.

We believe, much like the 2AZ-FE LSC ZE7 campaign, that this bulletin release could be a precursor to a warranty extension for excessive oil consumption in the Prius 2ZR-FXE engines. We will keep you informed when we know more.

2. rommel

rommel Guest

I just finished phase 1 oil consumption test and failed 2.2 qt in 1200miles. Now, Both dealer and Toyota headquarter stalling and delaying actions in replacing defective pistons

3. dncallico

dncallico Guest

Did Toyota ever fix your car or give you any feedback yet? they told my fiance if her car failed the oil consumption test the problem would be fixed for free. after her car failed the test they wanted her to pay for it so we didn't have it done.

4. Misty Cramer

Misty Cramer Guest

My 2012 Prius V is consuming oil quickly. I go thought a quart in 800 miles. It's clogging up the inside valves with carbon. The car now shutters. I'm interested to know what Toyota plans to do about this.

MG likes this.
  5. MG

MG Moderator Staff Member

Not a Tech but your symptoms do sound like this warranty extension ZF3.
    With the oil consumption, my guess is that they will replace the pistons much as they did with the Camry ZE7 warranty extension.

2ZR-FXE Engine Oil Consumption Inspection Procedure

2ZR-FXE Engine Oil Consumption Repair Procedure

6. Jennifer1234

Jennifer1234 Guest

I sure hope they issue a warranty extension on this problem soon. For Toyota to be aware that there is an issue, but to only cover it for the 60,000/60mo warranty when a 2010 vehicle has already exceeded 60 months when this TSB was issued is nonsense. This issue has caused my catalytic converter to be clogged so now that needs to be replaced as well. So frustrating. I had an appointment to take my car to the dealer tomorrow to address the oil consumption but after everything I have read tonight from other 2010 Prius owners it seems like a waste of time to even deal with Toyota on this until a warranty extension is issued.

7. SCGirl

SCGirl Guest

I have had my 2012 Prius V treated for the warranty extension ZF3 referred to in the reply by MG. All the dealer did was reset the valve.

Now my Prius is suffering from excessive oil consumption. I have been through the Engine Oil Consumption Inspection twice and it passed both times. Car was serviced in June 2017 with an oil change at 130,000 miles. Took the car in for the 135,000 mile service this week. Oil lite had been blinking in the mornings for about 2 weeks - once engined warmed up the lite did not show. The dealer is telling me that it only had 1.5 quarts of oil left.

Are you telling me that the the repair referred to as technical service bulletin 0169-16 will not apply to my car because it already has 135,000 miles on it even though this problem was known by Toyota as far back as November of 2016. This first time we did the oil consumption test was in August 2016. The second one was in March 2017 when they reset the valve referred to in the warranty extension ZF3.

I am very unhappy with Toyota right now and I've been driving Toyotas since 1996.

8. Ryan

Ryan Guest

I have a 2010 Prius, and it failed Toyota's oil consumption test. It consumes oil way so quickly that I have to add oil 2-3 times between scheduled oil changes.

I was quoted $3,600 to repair the pistons, rings, etc.

I am really angry that Toyota isn't taking responsibility for the problem.