2010 Toyota Prius ABS Brake Warning Light On with Codes C1391, C1252, C1256, or C1253

MG

Some 2010 model year Prius and Prius Plug-in Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a condition where the brake, ABS, and/or TRAC warning light(s) are on and/or a Check VSC message displays. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) C1391, C1252, C1256, and C1253 may be stored. This condition may be caused by a small internal brake fluid leak inside the brake booster assembly with master cylinder. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin T-SB-0079-18 Revision 1 to address this condition.

Replace the Brake Booster Assembly With Master Cylinder
Replace the Brake Booster Pump Assembly, and Reprogram Skid Control ECU

Toyota has issued a Warranty Extension on this vehicle condition. Please see Warranty Enhancement ZJB

J

Jusepe

Is there a way to “encourage” these codes to come on? My brake system has all the telltale symptoms of the booster leaking and the pump runs well it should not but I am not getting any codes. Is there anyway to sort of get that ball rolling so I can get this done before the bulletin ends?

D

Diego

I have the same light issue and I diagnosed it and 2 codes showed up C0200, C0215.
Some people are saying it’s from the cold weather, and other are thinks from ABS pump.

K

KRen

I just have the same problem: abs, brake and slip indicator lights are all on, then all off another day, on again after driving for a while. Dealer checked, told me it needs to change sensor, costs $750. Any suggestion?

T

TSB guy

Jusepe, to "encourage" the codes, with the car off disconnect both connectors on the abs booster assembly. Then turn the car on and repeatedly hit the brake pedal until your day lights up with warning lights. Then turn the car off and reconnect the connectors. You should have the codes now.

J

jlg

I just have the same problem: abs, brake and slip indicator lights are all on, then all off another day, on again after driving for a while. Dealer checked, told me it needs to change sensor, costs $750. Any suggestion?
Same issue here following replacement of left and right rear wheel bearings this past summer. Brake, ABS, and Slip lights started come on and off in Feb. Took it to Toyota and they said the left rear sensor/harness/bearing assembly needs replacement, codes were C0215 and C1239.. Paid $750. Didn't make it half way home from the dealer and the same darn lights come on and off intermittently. Took it back to Toyota and they now say the right rear sensor assembly needs to replaced at another $750 with codes C0210 and C1238. What is the probability of two sensors failing within days of each other. I've been driving 2 weeks now and the abs, brake, and slip night haven't come on. It is also considerably warmer now. I'm now thinking a loose cable connection. I have no issues braking or traction control. Thoughts.