2011-2017 Toyota Prius C Maintenance Required for Hybrid Battery Cooling Parts at your Dealer

BGroot

If you own a 2011-2017 Toyota Prius C and a warning message pops up on your display that reads.."Maintenance Required for Hybrid Battery Cooling Parts at your Dealer", don't freak out. The problem will be with the Hybrid Battery Cooling fan that is located on the drivers side rear seat at the bottom. You will either see that a plastic bag, gym bag or a box is covering the opening or that lint/hair debris has clogged the fan screen. Clean the screen and then drive the vehicle and the warning message will clear itself.

i-9ZSpFjd-M.jpg

i-6rv9kNP-M.jpg

i-5q53hM7-M.jpg

i-TKtDw9c-M.jpg

i-JKBPwXt-M.jpg

J

jen

hi. will this be the same set up for a 2017 prius II (not c)? i just got the same error message. appreciate the video if so!

S

Sea Star

Thank So Much MODERATOR B GROOT. I Purchased A 2016 Prius C On July 1st, So I've Only Had It For About 2 Weeks When I Saw That Message On The Dashboard:
MAINTENANCE REQUIRED FOR HYBRID BATTERY COOLING PARTS AT YOUR DEALER... I Almost Did Freak Out! I Thought Maybe I Purchased A Lemmon, I Was Just Gonna Let It Get Repossessed If Fixing It Would Be Too Costly, I Was So Bummed Until I Decided To Look Up The Message Online And This Page Popped Up First.

I Read Your Message, Watched The Video And Looked Behind The Driver Seat And Sure Enough, My Fuzzy Round Pillow Had Fallen Just In Front Of The Vent After I Washed With The Laundry This Morning. I Removed It And Opened The Pannel As The Video Instructed. There Was Some Lint And Debris So I Cleaned It And Closed It Back Up Just To Be Sure, Though I'm Certain It Was My Pillow That Caused The Message To Pop Up.

The Message Hasn't Cleared Off Yet, Because I Haven't Driven It Around Yet, But I Will In The Morning. Hope It's All Cleared Up Then. Thank You For Easing My Thoughts For Tonight.

S

Sea Star

Thank So Much MODERATOR B GROOT. I Purchased A 2016 Prius C On July 1st, So I've Only Had It For About 2 Weeks When I Saw That Message On The Dashboard:
MAINTENANCE REQUIRED FOR HYBRID BATTERY COOLING PARTS AT YOUR DEALER... I Almost Did Freak Out! I Thought Maybe I Purchased A Lemmon, I Was Just Gonna Let It Get Repossessed If Fixing It Would Be Too Costly, I Was So Bummed Until I Decided To Look Up The Message Online And This Page Popped Up First.

I Read Your Message, Watched The Video And Looked Behind The Driver Seat And Sure Enough, My Fuzzy Round Pillow Had Fallen Just In Front Of The Vent After I Washed With The Laundry This Morning. I Removed It And Opened The Pannel As The Video Instructed. There Was Some Lint And Debris So I Cleaned It And Closed It Back Up Just To Be Sure, Though I'm Certain It Was My Pillow That Caused The Message To Pop Up.

The Message Hasn't Cleared Off Yet, Because I Haven't Driven It Around Yet, But I Will In The Morning. Hope It's All Cleared Up Then. Thank You For Easing My Thoughts For Tonight.
UPDATE:
I Followed All The Instructions On This Page And Cleaned The Air Vent Screen But The Warning Message Would Not Go Off Until I Removed The Inner Screen The Covers The Tube Vent Then Replaced It. Eventhough I Had Already Sent It, It Seems Like The Car's Sensor Needed To Sense The Inner Screen Being Removed In Order To Reset.

Thanks A Lot For The Help On This Page. Hope My Experience Helps Others.

C

Christina

I have a 2015 Prius V and am seeing this message as well. It just started popping up this week. I recently had the oil changed and when they ran the diagnostic, they mentioned nothing about the message. Do you think I'm safe to drive on it for about 600 miles or so? I'm driving out of town tomorrow and need to know if it should be checked before then. Thanks!

D

Dee

How do you get the little clips back in, to secure the big plastic frame piece back on?

B

Brndi20s

It worked on my 2016 Prius C, I drove about 70 mi after cleaning the vent then the message eventually went away just when I was about to go to the Toyota Dealer. I had given up! Thanks BGroot!

J

Jenn

If you own a 2011-2017 Toyota Prius C and a warning message pops up on your display that reads.."Maintenance Required for Hybrid Battery Cooling Parts at your Dealer", don't freak out. The problem will be with the Hybrid Battery Cooling fan that is located on the drivers side rear seat at the bottom. You will either see that a plastic bag, gym bag or a box is covering the opening or that lint/hair debris has clogged the fan screen. Clean the screen and then drive the vehicle and the warning message will clear itself.

i-9ZSpFjd-M.jpg

i-6rv9kNP-M.jpg

i-5q53hM7-M.jpg

i-TKtDw9c-M.jpg

i-JKBPwXt-M.jpg

Amazing. Thanks for the video. Easy enough to do myself. Can you do an oil change for 2016 prius c too?

T

Torsven

Hi,

I sure appreciate finding this forum.

My 2012 Prius C is at the dealership service department right now. I never got the overheating message, but I did get the 'check hybrid system, get off the road immediately' message (paraphrased, obviously), which is what took me to the dealer in the first place.

I just got a call from the service rep saying that my hybrid & auxiliary batteries failed due to the fan being clogged. They are telling me that the fan has failed completely and needs to be replaced. Parts & labor for this = $240. They were already replacing the auxiliary battery and the brake sensor as well as a damaged fender liner (long story for another day) and I'm at the end of my budget as it's now over $1000 in repairs.

Based on what I've read here, I don't doubt that the fan could be clogged. The car has nearly 90k miles on it and we had heavy shedding dogs for the first 50k.

I'm worried that the dealer may be trying to sell me more than I need. Is outright fan failure a reasonably likely scenario here?

They are replacing the hybrid battery under warranty still, but...jeez, this is killing me.

I guess, if nothing else, it's a very expensive lesson learned and checking that fan & cleaning the screen will be something I do regularly. Especially since we just started fostering dogs!

Otherwise, this car has been a stellar performer and I've only ever had to have routine maintenance done on it.

Your thoughts appreciated.

t.

J

Jonny

i-9ZSpFjd-M.jpg

i-6rv9kNP-M.jpg

i-5q53hM7-M.jpg

i-TKtDw9c-M.jpg

i-JKBPwXt-M.jpg
Thank you great video and instructions.

T

Tony Sirna

I thought it was easy getting the plugs to pop out, but it wasn't!
I have to figure out some way of the fan not clogging up again, without trying to put the cover back on!

T

Tony Sirna

Hi,

I sure appreciate finding this forum.

My 2012 Prius C is at the dealership service department right now. I never got the overheating message, but I did get the 'check hybrid system, get off the road immediately' message (paraphrased, obviously), which is what took me to the dealer in the first place.

I just got a call from the service rep saying that my hybrid & auxiliary batteries failed due to the fan being clogged. They are telling me that the fan has failed completely and needs to be replaced. Parts & labor for this = $240. They were already replacing the auxiliary battery and the brake sensor as well as a damaged fender liner (long story for another day) and I'm at the end of my budget as it's now over $1000 in repairs.

Based on what I've read here, I don't doubt that the fan could be clogged. The car has nearly 90k miles on it and we had heavy shedding dogs for the first 50k.

I'm worried that the dealer may be trying to sell me more than I need. Is outright fan failure a reasonably likely scenario here?

They are replacing the hybrid battery under warranty still, but...jeez, this is killing me.

I guess, if nothing else, it's a very expensive lesson learned and checking that fan & cleaning the screen will be something I do regularly. Especially since we just started fostering dogs!

Otherwise, this car has been a stellar performer and I've only ever had to have routine maintenance done on it.

Your thoughts appreciated.

t.
I cleaned the fan, but putting the buttons back on, is another matter. I'm keeping the cover off!

t.

W

Wei

How do you get the little clips back in, to secure the big plastic frame piece back on?
Press the bottom of the clip and pull the button out , the clip gets thinner, then put it back to the plastic, press the button back in