Lewis

Staff member
I bought a 2011 5.7L in August from a small private dealer. Now has 130k miles.

Just had the engine code P2443 for bank2 valve stuck closed come in last week.

this thread looks promising that the warranty might cover me but I can't find any publication online from Toyota that says they are extending it to model year 2011? Latest I could find was POL11-05, which only covers 2008-2010 for 10 years/150k.

I called my local Toyota dealer and they won't tell me anything unless I bring it in for a diagnosis (which they want to charge me $125 for). Does someone have a link to a formal Toyota update that extends warranty issue to 2011 models?

thanks
Will
Use this website and you should find it....
https://techinfo.toyota.com/

Kevin McVey

Our 2011 Tundra has 154,000 miles and this goes out!!! Over $2000.00 to repair. Just got our estimate a few days ago. Now I find out this is a pretty common problem! This is ridiculous!!!
Had a 2008 Tundra and at 96,000 miles the bank2 valve stuck closed error code cropped up. Toyota said it was a $2,000 fix and they fixed it under warranty. At 152,000 miles the same error code came back and Toyota told me the warranty is only good for 150,000 miles and I would have to pay for it myself. I was furious that the new air intake system they put in only lasted for 56,000 miles and they wouldn't help at all with the cost because I was 2,000 miles over warranty! I had to pay the $2,000 to get it fixed myself.

A few months later my Tundra was totaled in an accident and I'm looking to find a replacement. Can't afford a new truck and the Tundras in my price range fall in the years in which this problem still exists (2008-2012). Maybe its time I look at different manufactures.

Good Luck!

A

Albert

I have the same problem with my 2013 Tundra. 4.6 only 52500 miles on it. See what the dealer tells me. And apparantly it goes for all gen2 4.6 motors.

A

Annette

Just had our Tundra repaired under this warranty. The dealer tried telling me that it was not under warranty and I called Toyota Headquarters and had the issue resolved. The ONLY other problem was a rental. The dealer had the vehicle from Wednesday - Wednesday the following week and I had to pay for the rental. But after reading this thread it was better to pay $200 for the rental and not over $2k for the repairs. Try calling the Toyota Headquarters rather than listening to the dealership tell you its not under this warranty program. I was blessed to talk to people with the patience to help resolve the issue. Good luck!!

Phone/Fax

Phone: 800-331-4331
Fax: 310-468-7814

M-F 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT
Sat. 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CT

TTY/TDD Users: Dial 711, then request the operator dial 1-800-331-4331

G

Gabe Martinez

Does this warranty over the P106B generic EVAP code? Or do I have to dig a little deeper to find a specific code? I can definitely tell the air intake is dulled down now when I start her up.

A

Andrew Bullock

2011 Tundra 5.7 just got quoted $2700 for the fix. 151,410 miles....very disappointed. I have had incredibly good experience with all 7 of my Toyotas....This one takes the cake!

A

Andrew Bullock

WOW !! Just called Toyota and found out the warranty was extended to 150K...so I am 1410 miles out of warranty

A

Alexlinny

Hewitt-Tech makes a bypass kit which fixes this problem for good. I am buying one today

BGroot

Hewitt-Tech makes a bypass kit which fixes this problem for good. I am buying one today
Just so everyone is educated....

Section 288 – Enforcement: (b) TAMPERING WITH VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROLS –
(1) Section 203(a)(3) (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3)) is amended to read as follows:

'(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or

'(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or '

Now you do you.

H

Heather M

** I am not a mechanic by any means as you will see in this post, so if you reply please keep it in easy terms ***
I have a 2011 Toyota tundra that had the 4lo light blinking and check engine light on, and the traction icon on, but we saw on a page to try disconnecting the battery to reset the codes and reconnect (I know it sounds stupid but we tried) now the vehicle will start up but not stay running and every time I press on the gas it makes a weird sucking sound right in the middle back of the engine towards the top of the engine. But by disconnecting the battery it reset the codes and now it wont turn those errors lights back on the dash board and it wont give is a code when we connect it to a OBDII reader.. help Im thinking after some crazy research on what it could be, wondering if this could be part of the air intake problem that would be covered in this extension of the warranty, we are at 9 years and 124K miles. any help will be appreciated if anyone is willing to give some advise. Thanks in advance
also if I cant keep the vehicle running, would I have to tow the vehicle to the closest dealership, or will this warranty cover it and how would I know if this is the true problem without the code

D

Dan P.

Warranty Enhancement Letter ZG6

See TSB 0160-11

Subject: Warranty Enhancement Program ZG6
2011 Model Year Tundra and Sequoia Vehicles
Extension of Warranty Coverage for Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves on Certain 2011 Model Year Tundra and Sequoia vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves in certain 2011 Model Year Tundra and Sequoia Vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated concerns regarding the illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Light) due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves.

Although the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Basic Warranty* for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) and by the California Emission Warranty* for 7 years or 70,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for repairs related to illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Light) due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves.

The following information is provided to inform you and your staff of the program notification schedule and your degree of involvement.

Warranty Enhancement Program Details:
This Warranty Enhancement Program provides enhanced coverage to the vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Basic Warranty” as it applies to the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves. The specific condition covered by this program is illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Light) due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with new Air Injection Pumps and Switching Valves under the terms of this Warranty Enhancement Program.

This Warranty Enhancement Program offers coverage for 10 Years from the Date of First Use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 108,000 Vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program. There are
approximately 200 vehicles distributed to Puerto Rico covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in mid-June 2017 and will be mailed over several months.

D

Dan P.

I really like the way my 2011 Tundra drives, pulls, and gets through every snowmobile trail, seasonal road in winter, and anywhere else I drive it. I pulled a 23 foot camper all over the US last summer, including ion the Rockies without any problems. However, I recently keep getting intermittent engine light accompanied with 4 low light, and loss of power. I can barely get up a hill at 45 mph, and can't get above 55 mph on flat surface roads. Then, the lights stay on but have full power, then the lights go off. Then, all starts over again. This is a common problem, to which Toyota has admitted. I've owned several Toyota cars prior to this truck, and loved them! I speak about Toyota vehicles as if I owned the company, they have been that good. Unfortunately, I have had to put more money in repairs in this truck in the less than 2 years I've owned it than in all three Toyota cars which I owned for about 5 years each, and two F-150's combined. My truck has 158,000 miles and is outside of the extended warranty. I guess Toyota believes that if one is lucky enough not to have the problem until after 150,000 miles, then its ok to screw you. I can't express the depth of my disappointment with Toyota at this time. And, much as I like the Toyota brand, I will not buy another Tundra solely because Toyota has left me to pay for repairs of a problem it knows is caused by its own engineering.

D

Dan P.

** I am not a mechanic by any means as you will see in this post, so if you reply please keep it in easy terms ***
I have a 2011 Toyota tundra that had the 4lo light blinking and check engine light on, and the traction icon on, but we saw on a page to try disconnecting the battery to reset the codes and reconnect (I know it sounds stupid but we tried) now the vehicle will start up but not stay running and every time I press on the gas it makes a weird sucking sound right in the middle back of the engine towards the top of the engine. But by disconnecting the battery it reset the codes and now it wont turn those errors lights back on the dash board and it wont give is a code when we connect it to a OBDII reader.. help Im thinking after some crazy research on what it could be, wondering if this could be part of the air intake problem that would be covered in this extension of the warranty, we are at 9 years and 124K miles. any help will be appreciated if anyone is willing to give some advise. Thanks in advance
also if I cant keep the vehicle running, would I have to tow the vehicle to the closest dealership, or will this warranty cover it and how would I know if this is the true problem without the code
Hey Heather: That's the problem I've been having. I had a mechanic reset the code and it worked for a little while, but the problem came back. It's the secondary air pump issue. Get it fixed fast! My truck is now out of the extended warranty, so I'm screwed and have to foot the bill myself. Much as I love the Tundra, thinking I'll be getting another F-150 next time.

N

NVaugh

Another 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6 AIP failure here. Codes P2440 repaired twice at 72-74k miles, now P2441, P2443, and P2445 codes at 93k miles. So I'm already thousands of $$$ in repairs, and starting repair #3, stuck in limp mode. Went round and round with 2 dealers, then Toyota corporate back and forth for weeks the first time with zero resoluton from them. It's ironic that Toyota knows the defect but also cuts off the extended warranty at 2011 models/150k miles. They also won't honor the EPA emissions warranty or their own certified used vehicle warranty stating the problem is not drivetrain related. But on the telephone, corporate admits it's an ongoing defect.
After 20 years of loyalty and 4 vehicles, I can no longer support them.

J

JD77

I really like the way my 2011 Tundra drives, pulls, and gets through every snowmobile trail, seasonal road in winter, and anywhere else I drive it. I pulled a 23 foot camper all over the US last summer, including ion the Rockies without any problems. However, I recently keep getting intermittent engine light accompanied with 4 low light, and loss of power. I can barely get up a hill at 45 mph, and can't get above 55 mph on flat surface roads. Then, the lights stay on but have full power, then the lights go off. Then, all starts over again. This is a common problem, to which Toyota has admitted. I've owned several Toyota cars prior to this truck, and loved them! I speak about Toyota vehicles as if I owned the company, they have been that good. Unfortunately, I have had to put more money in repairs in this truck in the less than 2 years I've owned it than in all three Toyota cars which I owned for about 5 years each, and two F-150's combined. My truck has 158,000 miles and is outside of the extended warranty. I guess Toyota believes that if one is lucky enough not to have the problem until after 150,000 miles, then its ok to screw you. I can't express the depth of my disappointment with Toyota at this time. And, much as I like the Toyota brand, I will not buy another Tundra solely because Toyota has left me to pay for repairs of a problem it knows is caused by its own engineering.
I could not agree more. Every part of this is the same for me except my boat is 18 feet long. It was incredibly dangerous to go into limp mode while pulling a boat on a busy mountain road. No help from Toyota because it is outside the extension. I have less than 150k miles but more than 10 year old truck. I spent hours, plural, on the phone with Toyota and they are fully aware of this issue but because they already extended the warranty, there are no exceptions if you are outside that. I spent 1700 to have mine fixed and less than a month later the other code has popped. I was 2443 and not 0419.