2011 Toyota Tundra Driveshaft Recall B0F

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Subject:
Safety Recall B0F
2011 Model Year Tundra Vehicles Inspection and Possible Replacement of Rear Propeller Shaft

On April 26, 2011 Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall on certain 2011 Model Year Tundra Vehicles. The purpose of this communication is to inform you of the Safety Recall and request your assistance to immediately begin inspections of Tundra vehicles covered by this Safety Recall.

Background:
On certain 2011 Model Year Tundra vehicles equipped with a 3-Joint type propeller shaft, the rear propeller shaft slip yoke may have been improperly cast. The improperly cast yokes are from a specific production lot. In vehicles with a slip yoke from that lot, there is the possibility that the slip yoke may break and the rear propeller shaft may separate at the joint. If this occurs the propeller shaft could contact the road surface, which could increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy:
Any authorized Toyota dealer will inspect the rear propeller shaft to determine if it might contain an improperly manufactured slip yoke. Based upon the inspection results, in a limited number of cases, the dealer may need to replace the rear propeller shaft. The inspection and, if necessary, replacement will be performed at NO CHARGE to the vehicle owner. The following vital information is provided to inform you and your dealers of this campaign and your degree of involvement.

Owner Notification Mailing Date:
The owner notification will commence in mid-May 2011.

P

Paul M

I just had the driveshaft on my 2010 Tundra break at the rear joint. From what I can tell, this recall is only for 2011 Tundras