2013-2015 Toyota Rav4 Transmission Shudder Warranty Extension ZH1

B

Brandon Curtis

Just broke 100K on my 17 Rav where Torque convertor shutter began at about 80K. It's been to the dealer now two times for that reason, but the tech can't replicate the shudder... Just get in the car with me for a few minutes! After the second visit the tech and my advisor mentioned yes, it's probably the torque convertor. Unfortunately nothing posted by Toyota yet for this generation of Ravs.

D

Donna

Well - we have a 2015 rav4 with the exact issue but toyota refuses to help. They say the vin is not one of the covered vehicles. Dealer said it is ridiculous. They wont budge. Guess it is the last toyota I buy.
I am had the same experience in November, 2019. Repair cost 2300 dollars. They said my vin number was not included. I am really upset also.

K

Karin C

Just broke 100K on my 17 Rav where Torque convertor shutter began at about 80K. It's been to the dealer now two times for that reason, but the tech can't replicate the shudder... Just get in the car with me for a few minutes! After the second visit the tech and my advisor mentioned yes, it's probably the torque convertor. Unfortunately nothing posted by Toyota yet for this generation of Ravs.

I have a 2010 Rav 4 and I was told that it is going to cost 3200 to repair. Seems that this issue has been going on for awhile now!

A

accuratepi

I have this issue with my 2014 RAV4. I just got off the phone with my local dealer's service department. He said my vehicle is covered, they will evaluate it in the morning and then perform the repairs the same day. They're also going to provide me with a rental car while I wait on the repair.

A

accuratepi

Update: My local Toyota dealer took care of the problem. No fuss, no muss, no cost and no more shudder!

K

Kevinlip

I’ll try to remember to update.. bought a used RAV4 2013 in January 2020 noticed shudder right away, dealer fixed no hassle what so ever I hope this doesn’t happen again paid this car outright in cash...

B

Brad Guy

So I bought a brand new 2013 Rav4 right off the lot. In late 2017 I heard about this shudder issue. I felt it periodically but very faint around the start of 2018 but was not overly concerned. As of late 2018, the shudder is so bad it feels like you are driving over rumble strips between 60km and 80km. The hoops that Toyota is making people go through to have it repaired is absolutely ridiculous. So you take it in, they CHARGE YOU $120 for the diagnostic fee - yes you heard me right. They said Toyota wants to know "I am invested to repair my vehicle for the right reasons". That is a direct quote. They build defective vehicles and then want you to pay to have it diagnosed. How is this a warranty repair if I have to pay someone to determine it is happening? Completely ridiculous and shows me that Toyota does not care about their customers. We should be out NOTHING to deal with this issue. As it is I have to take time off work to bring the vehicle back and forth. Today they are trying a bandaid approach of doing a transmission flush and a software upgrade instead of just replacing the torque converter straight away. So let me guess... bandaid it today so that down the road when it starts happening again, I have to go through all of the hoops again. Fantastic. Time to buy a Honda I think.
It seems that Toyota card and trucks h ave some big dollar problems. Bad transmissions, and valve timing vvt,gears, and they treat you like carp ,just like other brands, Toyota sells lots of junk the same as the others do . Same bad service.

K

Karen

Amazing I got the shudder 2015 any updates??? I just found this it's 2019 anyone out there hope Toyota will honor this and repair .... Smh anyone have any new news this would be appreciated....
Just found the problem on my 2015 and Toyota will not cover it. Anyone else have this problem?

B

Bhjazz

Same problem here, 2011 Rav4 auto, AWD, 69700 miles, Canadian mfg, waiting on a response from Toyota USA.

B

Bhjazz

Toyota USA says SOL, 5 years, 60k miles , not covered. Local dealer quote for new torque converter is $2500. As this problem is wide spread and known for quite a long time by Toyota; and they chose to do nothing, my families will not ever buy a Toyota again. F**k Toyota.

N

Nasry

I purchased a 2013 Rav4 US specs 93000 miles in Dubai and unfortunately I found out that it has this problem! This repair is expensive in Dubai and not even sure that someone would be able to do it and the local dealer is not servicing US cars! When I contacted TOYOYA US the reply was very confusing as in the same email they told me they are responsible only for the cars that are manufactured according to the US specs and they can't help me and advised me to contact the local dealer though I provided the information that the car is a US specs car!!

O

Odiplata

Regarding the last post, you guy had no chance. I bought a 2014 rav4 and I got no diagnostic charge and they will repair it for free. It does not cover the wheel alignment though. I still believe Toyota produces the best reliable cars so far. It is just bad that some concessions suck and let some customers down. This is my 2nd Toyota and I will not try anything else!
Maybe because the diagnostic done to your Rav4 shows that there is really a problem with the torque converter and they did not charge you for a fee. Hopefully mine will have the same experience too since I called already Toyota and the customer service rep told me that my 2014 Rav4 is still covered for the warranty and no diagnostic charge if there's a problem on the torque converter.

M

Mike101

Just found the problem on my 2015 and Toyota will not cover it. Anyone else have this problem?
I have a 2015 RAV4 with only 50.6k miles on it. Our main drivetrain warranty expired last May, 2020... Just got to know that my RAV4 has a shuddering torque converter in March of 2021, cause my son, a college student, driving it most of the time. He has not complained on having it, May be it just recently became more apparent and annoying.
I took the RAV4 for scheduled maintenance and, while driving it to a dealer, I understood our RAV4 has a mechanical problem. It was confirmed that shudder is coming from torture converter... Toyota ran a VIN number check and reported it is not covered by the extended warranty program ZH1. As I understand, the transmission has at least an updated logic in engine computer, which is supposedly took care of the problem. But apparently not. By miles driven it is not even out of drive train warranty range, 60k miles. Repair cost I am facing was cut down to $1000 from original $3k. I think it is shameful on behalf of Toyota USA even to not cover all 2015 RAV4s. Apparently the fix they attempted did not work in my case particularly. The problem just is waiting for another class action to be filed.

B

BG Robinson

Late to the party, but I've been having this shudder issue for about 1.5 years, nothing serious, shifts great, runs perfect at high rpms and highway speeds, only when I coast and then start to accelerate. Have been to the local mechanic but he can't find anything wrong.... btw been to this mechanic 4 times in the past 2 years for the issue -- today we'll take a drive with him in the car -- BUT of course I just turned my Rav over 150K last weekend and I find this.... sigh I'm still going to call to check on it...

P

Pal

Well - we have a 2015 rav4 with the exact issue but toyota refuses to help. They say the vin is not one of the covered vehicles. Dealer said it is ridiculous. They wont budge. Guess it is the last toyota I buy.
Same thing here.

A

Ana

I bought a 2014 Rav 4 in July of 2019 with just over 100k on it. I had zero issues with it. In June of 2020 I took it in for an inspection, tire rotation, alignment and I had a hinge on the back lift gate that was bent. I had put roughly 12000 miles on it since purchase. Had to have hinges replaced on lift gate so I made an appointment and the parts were ordered. Dropped it off and had hinges replaced 400+ dollars. A couple days later I'm unloading and notice the hinges look different. Sure enough only one hinge had been changed and the paint color was different. Long story short it took almost a month to talk to a manager as I continued to get the run around from the service advisors. So manager says he'll fix the problem, order new hinges, send them to be primed and painted properly and have them installed.

I get a call 2 weeks later that hinges are in and set up an appointment to install them. While on the phone I tell them I had noticed it started shake when I was driving at certain speeds. I like to be informed so I researched the issue when I noticed it. I told them I thought there may be an issue with the torque converter. They tell me they can diagnosis it when I drop it off. Again to make a long story short (I'm still dealing with and am not having a great experience with the dealership) My Rav has torque converter shudder and is covered they will order the parts. Repair is done and after many months I finally have my vehicle back.

2 days later I notice fluid on the ground. Call and bring it back, they replaced 2 seals on the water pump. I get it back and the next day it's leaking even more. Bring it back and they check it again. Water pump is shot. Have that replaced. Less then 3 months later I notice it leaking again, this time it's transmission fluid. I climb under to get a better look, there is a puddle in the plastic cover and the bell housing is covered in fluid. I had put less than 3000 miles on since the repair. I have to play tag for quite some while before it's looked at. Of course I didn't drive it in the mean time. Drop it off for diagnosis. Get a call $1600 to replace torque converter seal. I'm like woah what? Well the seal isn't covered by the warranty is what I'm told. I stop in to pick up my Rav and am given the RO. I'm reading the diagnosis and it talks about a possible worn pump throwing the converter of center and possibly needing an entire trans assembly due to metal chunks in the transmission from old torque converter. The mechanic is gone and nobody can tell me what this is supposed to mean.

More tag played till I could talk to the service manager. He pulls up record and I tell him how unhappy I am. My service records are inaccurate mileage is not recorded correctly, why do I need to pay $1600 for a seal? I get it may not have been covered by warranty, but the mechanic is still supposed to inspect the components and I should have been given the option to have it replaced during the repair for cost of the part and the extra labor to do it. Not to mention any competent mechanic knows that this seal can easily be damaged when removing or installing the torque converter. He agrees with me, but says that Toyota should be covering the cost due to the metal from the bad converter ruining the transmission. He opens a case with Toyota. And here I sit almost 3 months later with no information, no communication from the dealership, and no vehicle.

It has been almost a year since I first brought it in for hinges and it has spent the better part of the last year at the dealership. Only 6000 miles put on it in a year.

S

SPW

For those of you who are having this issue but it's not covered under warranty I would suggest having the transmission fluid changed or possibly flushed. You might also try LubeGard Instant Shudder Fix, reviews on RAV4s have been positive.

L

LB's Dad

Same thing here.
Same here...2015 Rav 4 VIN not on "list"...not going quietly though... Case reports issued with a total of 3 federal/state commissions and bureaus. Not my first issue with Toyota and I will never one another one.