2014-2015 Toyota Camry and Corolla Radio Touch Screen not working

T

Toyo owner

2014 Camry and mine stopped working as well. Bought new iPhone 7 and tried to pair, unable to add because of dead key at bottom of screen. There's no way I'm paying $1000 to replace. Why hasn't this been recalled? How can those of us affected start a class action suit if it's a known issue and Toyota is complacent?

T

Toyo owner

2014 Camry and mine stopped working as well. Bought new iPhone 7 and tried to pair, unable to add because of dead key at bottom of screen. There's no way I'm paying $1000 to replace. Why hasn't this been recalled? How can those of us affected start a class action suit if it's a known issue and Toyota is complacent?

Hi there, has anyone here gotten any resolution to this issue. I have a 2014.5 Toyota Camry SE and just discovered I had the exact same issue when I tried to pair a new phone. The bottom half is unresponsive. It wouldn’t allow me to add or remove. Of course my car is out of warranty. If we could, I think that sounds like a great idea to file a class action. I have tried all the troubleshooting tips and none of them work. The service dept. said they can’t guarantee a fix unless they run a diagnostic test, charge $135. I’m so frustrated Toyota hasn’t issue a recall or another service bulletin to have this corrected free of charge.

R

Rod Russell

I am not sure how long this will work, but similar to using your fingernail in some of the earlier posts, I found that using a penny in my daughters 2015 Toyota Corolla works quite well.

D

David Hodge

I have the same problem. Was told it would cost $1,347. This is a HUGE safety issue. I almost got in an accident the other day bc I couldn’t hang up my phone call by hitting the hang up button. I had to grab my phone to do it. Toyota is damaging their name by not fixing this. I’m calling corporate Monday. If they don’t fix this, I will never buy a Toyota again... trust is gone.

V

Vishal

I have 2015 toyoto corolla and have same issue.. i agree that we should file case as it is known issue but toyota is not taking any action nor guiding customers about it

I

Israel

2015 Toyata Corrola with the same issue here. Can’t add phones because the touch screen won’t work on the bottom left. And of course I am over the warranty. Will try calling the HQ as well

N

Nate

Having the same issue. Had a Honda Accord and figured I'd be better off with a camry. Bought a 2015 Camry LE with less then 36k miles, but by the time I realized toyota would fix it, I was past the 36 mark! Bust.
Using a penny or fingernail, even if it works, is a ridiculous thing to have to do in the year 2018. The trick worked for me a few times,but not always

M

Morfin51

I got a new phone, tried to pair it to my car, the add button doesn't work because the touch doesn't work on the lower part of the screen. I am at 38300miles. WTH. Took it to my local Toyota, and they said,"the warranty is the warranty". I was like WTH. They said they will call Toyota HQ and ask for a good faith repair. So we'll see in an hr. I can't believe it's a known issue, and they didn't do a recall etc. If they are not willing to cover the repair, I will go to Twitter, social media about this.

Did you ever get this fixed? I’m having the same problem. And the buttons i can use to pair it with, ‘the tune button manual says work’ does not work.

M

Morfin51

2015 Toyata Corrola with the same issue here. Can’t add phones because the touch screen won’t work on the bottom left. And of course I am over the warranty. Will try calling the HQ as well

Same issue i’m Having. I got a new phone and now i can’t add it.

M

Morfin51

worked here as well! saved 1100.00
The fingernail thing to pair, ‘bottom left hand corner’ does not work for me. =( i have the manual and says i should be able to pair it with the TUNE button to select it, but the button doesn’t do anything.

Tim preston

It's ok. Honda makes an entire replacement car for my 2014 Camry SE with non-goodwill WARRANTY covered radio display failure... This is a very poor reflection on Toyota.

It will be interesting to see how this model fares in the coming issues of "in the bag for Toyota" Consumer publication.

K

Krista

I have a 2014 Corolla S and thr touchscreen doesn't work properly. I had to get a new phone due to my previous one no longer working and I cant use my bluetooth capabilities to use hands free because the add button on the screen no longer works. And my car has more than 36,000 miles on it. Another reason to dislike Toyota.

X

Xiaohui

Recalls are only for safety related items, which the radio is not considered a safety item. Now, if enough Toyota owners have this issue and make their voice heard, Toyota may issue a warranty extension for this concern.

Yes, my 2014 Toyota Camry has the same problem, the radio touch screen does not work either.

C

charmian

I'm having the same issue with my 2015 Camry. I was told it would cost 800. I even purchased the extended warranty but of course it's not covered.

D

Danielle

Clearly they just don't care. Just called HQ even though I've had this issue since last year (about 200 miles over warentee expired) and they still have no recalls on it. When I called the dealership right after I noticed they said there was nothing they could do because it was past warentee ( by 200 miles!) It has gotten progressively worse and the whole bottom of the screen is nonresponsive. Being that it is a very common defect, you would think that they would replace the head unit for free. This thread has been going on for quite some time! The absolute LEAST they could do would be to notify owners to look out for signs of the issue so they could have caught it pervious to warentee expiring!

J

Jman

Wanted to give an update to my correspondence with Toyota HQ about this issue:

Near the end of 2017 I wrote on this thread that everyone should call Toyota HQ to complain. I called and told them that the LCD screen quit working and asked for financial assistance due to this being a known problem and defective part.

I was instructed to take my 2014 Camry to the dealership to determine the cause. I waited at the dealership for ~4 hours while they inspected the issue. It was determine that indeed the LCD screen needed to be replaced. When I called back to Toyota HQ, I spoke to a different representative who then proceeded to tell me they would not be able to assist with the repair.

THEN WHY DID YOU SEND ME TO THE DEALERSHIP TO HAVE IT INSPECTED AND WASTE A HALF DAY OF WORK?

After hearing this, I told the rep I would check back in 6 months to see if there were any updates. I recently called back, and this time spoke to a manager. She treated me with disrespect and could not give an explanation to why I was sent to the dealership to inspect the bad LCD screen if they had no intention of helping with the repair.

Over 3 hours on the phone wasted talking to these people, not to mention the time wasted at the dealership. My family and I have been Toyota owners for decades, but after this situation, I don't think I will ever buy Toyota again! Especially when their management treats customers with disrespect and could care less.

Furthermore, why is Toyota not honoring these repairs when apparently the manufacturer has produced a debunked LCD screen. There is a service bulletin so obviously a significant number of people have had this same issue. This is a safety issue. As a company, I would not want to jeopardize the safety of my customers. Shame on Toyota.

S

Siv Schwink

The bottom of my screen isn't working either as of about a year ago. What seems to be happening is that the sensors are lower than the buttons, so wherever you press, the button just above that is what actually gets triggered. Is there an extension to the warranty?

If not, is there any way to hard-reset the touch screen's operational system, so that it deletes the phones currently on there?
I can't pair my new phone. Everyone in my family has a new phone, so all 5 slots are taken up by non-existent phones that we can't delete, and I can't legally touch my phone while driving in the State of Illinois. This is so frustrating to know this is a known issue, with no resolution outside of paying about an eighth of the cars current value to fix it.

Thanks for any advice on a hard reset option.

T

TamaraH

I also have a 2014 Corolla S plus and the touchscreen quit working long ago. I wish I had known that it was a known issue as mine quit working before it was out of warranty and now the warranty is out on it. I am so upset. I was able to pair a new phone by shoving the long skinny plastic bit of a pen cap way inside the trim at the bottom left corner where the "add" button is, but how many times will that work? I would say class action lawsuit is in order for this. I should not have to pay $1000 to fix an issue that seems to happen on EVERY Toyota of these years in less than 50000 miles. I would understand if it were not a known issue. Come on Toyota. This is ridiculous. Bluetooth functionality is a safety hazard! Why market your vehicle with this feature if it doesn't work? What would Toyota think if they were required to disclaimer "Bluetooth guaranteed to quit working in 36000 miles, plan on spending $1000-$1500 to replace because we don't care"

C

Cindy

My touch screen doesn’t work. I’m out of the warranty period and basically am stuck with this piece of crap system. Toyota worked with my dealer and they offered to pay half. Well guess what???? I CANT AFFORD 800.00 plus dollars. I can’t believe that this has been a known issue for years and Toyota didn’t come forward with a solution to get it fixed!!