2014-2015 Toyota Camry and Corolla Radio Touch Screen not working

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Yes please - I am another left out because the service dept did not know and i want to show them
You can see the TSB Here....

2SMpVrp.jpg

A

Ali T

I should have read all the postings here before I go to the dealership with my 2014 Corrolla and tried to get the head unit fix. I have wasted 4 hours and US105 for the diagnostic and learned that I will need to pay another US1,500 to get it replaced/changed.

I am looking to join call action lawsuit, anyone has the link so I can join?

R

Rhonda Young

I have a 2015 Toyota Corolla S+ and I had to get a new phone and when I went to add my new cell phone for hands free that's when I realized the add button on my touch screen is not working, got so frustrated didn't check to see which other buttons were not working. I agree, if Toyota knew this was an ongoing issue with these radio's why did they not do a recall. Anyone have a resolution? If not my warranty is expired so this repair is on me!

M

Musa

I have 2015 Toyota Corolla but lower part of the screen not working. Pls what is the way out ?

J

Jeff

Press the corner of a credit card underneath the plastic that surrounds the screen. The calibration has moved to a portion of the screen that is below that plastic housing. You can get the button to work. The touchscreen control has dropped down. it's no longer in synch with the video display. This hack works, but Toyota still should fix this.

B

Bob C

I bought my car two Octobers ago. It was working fine until about April. Then the whole screen seemed to shift. So basically I would touch it and it would register the touch about 1/4 higher than my finger. I found that the issue is the heat. Once the temperatures got to below 40 for a couple of hours the touch would reset. So October through April mine works fine, since I live in a winter climate. the rest of the year the bottom of my screen only works if it has had time to "cool down" enough. You would think they would have tested a radio to be in a car that sits in the sun.

P

Paul O

My 2015 Toyota SE just started doing this. Can’t select the bottom center of my screen. So whenever I go to select DEST for my gps it thinks I’m selecting a location on my GPS map. Really annoying. It appears to have happened after a really hot day so not sure if that has anything to do with it but won’t know until it gets colder. I’m in the Chicago area. Is the radio essential for maintenance for my car; in the sense that there are settings required to select after repairs or oil change? If it’s not I’d rather get a new radio with Car Play. If it is essential for the car’s maintenance then I might look into replacing the digitizer myself.

A

Apollo Crete

I have read many forums asking about this issue. If it was a known issue, why wasn't it recalled and corrected? Why does it have to be under warranty to have it fixed for free?
Yes, it’s safety functions make it pertinent recall precedence?? Why isn’t there a recall in this?

M

Mallow

I slid the edge of a penny down between the screen and edge of the molding just under the "ADD" phone feature. After previous futile attempts to pair my new iPhone, this worked. The touch screens seem not to be aligned with their icons. Pressure applied below the ADD phone icon allowed me to pair my phone with my 2014 Corolla.

C

CorollaS

I see many of you had this problem 3 years ago. My Toyota corolla S touch screen just stopped working. The screen is all black and it looks like it powers on but then shuts back down. I Drive enough where the Bluetooth is a necessity, not a luxury. Did any of you guys find a way to get this fixed by the dealer by not having to pay about 1k?

V

Vickie

I can't believe Toyota has not address this, Of course I didn't even notice the issue until it was out of warranty, I've always loved Toyotas and the customer service, but if they don't do a recall or something this will be my last Toyota. Anyways I have the 2014.5 Toyota Camry, bought a new phone yesterday and had no way to pair it. So on a whim, I took a butter knife out to my car and turned the car on and went to the area where I would add a Bluetooth device. I slid the knife down in-between the touch screen and the outer casing and sort of applied pressure with the knife right under the add button about 1 inch and it activated the add button and I was able to add a new Bluetooth phone. Its not the ideal way that the touch screen should work but I was able to do what I needed. Its a shame that Toyota will not own this problem and fix it.. Ron Ronsu@aol.com
God bless you, Ron! The butter knife trick worked. I was just about to shell out money for a replacement. I couldn't get the knife tip between the outer casing and the touch screen. I ended up using the handle end of the knife to press the add button getting as close as I could to the bottom of the button. It took several seconds but it worked. Thank you, Ron, for posting this.

D

danis

I've been having this problem with our Corolla for several years now, whilst it already came out of the warranty - but only slightly due to age. To me, as others has hinted also, this seems to be a safety issue as well and not just an inconvenience and reduction in car value. The screen plays an important part in being able to setup hands-free communication, which is impacted by this problem. Has anyone tried submitting the NHTSA complaint or organizing a class action lawsuit. I think the first mode of submitting a NHTSA en-masse might force Toyota to take action.

D

danis

Hands free phone operation is a safety issue, it is state mandated in most states and is, therefore, an issue that must have a recall without warranty involved. If the buttons don't work properly, the phone can't be paired.

Exactly. Have you tried submitted an NHTSA complaint?

M

Michael Survant

I have a 2015 Camry with the same issue of the lower part of the touchscreen not working but was told by local dealer that it was out of warranty so I was out of luck. Is there help for this?

D

Dspice

I got a new phone, tried to pair it to my car, the add button doesn't work because the touch doesn't work on the lower part of the screen. I am at 38300miles. WTH. Took it to my local Toyota, and they said,"the warranty is the warranty". I was like WTH. They said they will call Toyota HQ and ask for a good faith repair. So we'll see in an hr. I can't believe it's a known issue, and they didn't do a recall etc. If they are not willing to cover the repair, I will go to Twitter, social media about this.

D

Dspice

I have a 2014 Camry and have had the same issue for close to 2 years. I’ve been procrastinating taking to the dealer because I know it will cost a pretty penny to repair. But yes in fact this is a safety issue, and I will be contacting Toyota HW and blasting them in social media. I need this fixed yesterday.

L

Lina

Some 2014-2015 Toyota Camry, Camry Hybrid and Corolla vehicles may exhibit a partially inoperative radio touch screen (usually the lower right hand side) on vehicle with the base audio option. Updated head units (radio) are available through your Toyota Dealer. Please see Technical Service Bulletin 0172-16

This repair is covered under the Toyota basic warranty which is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles.

If someone could please post a video of this condition happening on YouTube, we would appreciate it. This would let other owners see what is happening.Thanks