1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2016-2017 Tacoma with Ticking Noise 3.5L

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Lewis, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Staff Member

Some customers may have a concern of a "ticking" sound originating from the engine compartment at idle. This condition is most noticeable when at least one of the following conditions are met:

*One or more of the vehicles windows are rolled down
    *The vehicle is idling next to a large object like a wall or another vehicle.
    *The customer is navigating a drive-thru

The 2016 Tacoma's 3.5L engine is equipped with both direct and port fuel injection system. The ticking sound is a result of the self-cleaning direct fuel injection systems activation and is a normal characteristic of normal system operation. No repair is necessary to remedy this condition.

2. kooljoe

kooljoe New Member

Hello, I purchased a 2016 Tacoma trd sport. This ticking sound is very annoying. I have not enjoyed riding this truck. Please find a solution to fix this noise. I want to continue driving Toyota in the future. Please restore my faith in your brand and stand behind your product.

3. Bobby H

Bobby H Guest

I hear you loud and clear. I just purchased a 2016 Tacoma limited. The clicking noise drives me nuts. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. It reminds me of valve tappits or bad lifter. It is sitting in the garage until I decide what to do with it. I traded a perfectly good 2013 TACO with 23K miles and I am so sorry I did.
    IF TOYOTA READS THIS,PLEASE HELP!!!

4. MG

MG Moderator Staff Member

Like this....

5. dennis

dennis Guest

my 2016 toy tac v6 does the same ?????

6. Kevin

Kevin Guest

Purchase 2016 tacoma trd offroad 4x4 3 months ago.........same issue, annoying ticking/squeeking noise from engine. Took it to two different dealership. Same issue, they said it's normal.......;-(
    $40k clunk

7. K P

K P Guest

I bought a 2016 Tacoma off road in Feb. of this year. It also has the noise reported by others. It is most noticeable when towing my 4800 # trailer. It is so loud I can hear it over the radio. Sounds like lifter noise to me. Dealer will not test drive with trailer attached but said he would get in touch with Toyota rep. Have not heard back from dealer. Don't know how to proceed.

8. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

The only thing I can think of is to contact Toyota Corp. and open a case with them. They may be able to mediate but in the mean time, just be sure that you can duplicate this condition at will. This way you can show them the noise on a test drive.

9. Luis

Luis Guest

I have my 2016 Tacoma since Dec 15 and I have been complaining since then about it's very noisy engine. More than that, mine is pinging which is even worst. I just got the transmission's software updated, which made it smoother, but didn't solve the problem at the engine. What bothers me is that there is no answer from Toyota's engineers; this is not a cheap vehicle and I expect more from Toyota as a brand. By the way, I do can produce the problem at will; just drive at 45/50 mph and accelerate, you will have the pinging; or, just be inside mine and you will hear most of the time the ticking.
    Thanks for your time Mr Administrator

10. My 2016 tacoma Trd has been to the dealer more than 12 times with so many issues i have owned 6 tacomas and this 2016 is the worse ever.

11. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

That's what we hear from quite a few Owners and Toyota Techs. :(

12. jessie

jessie Guest

13. jessie

jessie Guest

14. JESSIE

JESSIE Guest

15. jessie

jessie Guest

16. jessie

jessie Guest

2017 Tacoma. Thank You for the correct explanation. My first Toyota. F-150 man for 30+ years. I was getting doubtful I made the right choice. Great little truck. Long road trip to Vegas tomorrow. The real test.

17. andrew

andrew Guest

mine make the normal toyota injector tick , but on the passenger side of the engine near the fire wall theres a slight knock/rattle sound. I have listened to a few 3.5's and they all do it , but what is making that noise?

18. Kenny

Kenny Guest

I have a 2017 Taco TRD Sport 4X4, and it's rattling too. Could it be that my Tacoma was made in Mexico??? When it tick, I notice the truck loose power and it's harder to push it when changing lane.

19. Heather Wilkin

Heather Wilkin New Member

I also purchased a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and at first the noise was not so alarming. It seems as time has gone on the noise is louder and the truck idles rough. I took it to the dealership and they stated that this was normal as well. It is very annoying, I am embarrassed by the sound the truck makes, when I am sitting in a drive thru line (like Starbucks) I have had several friends complain about the sound in my truck as well. I am going to take to a different Toyota dealer to get a second opinion, although, with this forum I am going to believe I am stuck with this "New" truck and the noise.

Lewis likes this.
  20. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Staff Member

Taking it too another dealer is a good idea but more than likely this is just a characteristic of the vehicle. Yep, it sucks I know. I don't know many technicians that are found of these new Tacomas. These trucks are just having so many problems leading to customer complaints.