2016 Toyota Tacoma Prices Leak Ahead of Launch

OishiiJPN

Staff member
i-rw9kDMG-M.jpg

Ever since Toyota unveiled its all-new 2016 Tacoma compact pickup in January at the Detroit auto show, many questions remained, including which models would carry over to the new generation and, of course, how much Toyota plans to charge for them when the truck goes on sale this fall. Now, thanks to some documents provided to our buddies at Jalopnik, allegedly from a recent dealer meeting (complete with hand-scribbled notes), we may know a little more about both matters.

For starters, some cheaper Tacoma variants will be dropped, namely four-cylinder Access Cabs that aren’t Pre-Runner models. Ditching those low-profit versions allegedly will allow Toyota to build more Tacomas and make more money on the ones that are built. Good for Toyota. Also gone is the off-road superhero TRD Pro model, which we fully expect to reappear later in the product cycle.

For the models that do make the cut, prices start at $22,200 for the Access Cab SR 4×2, which is $1235 more than today’s cheapest Tacoma model, though that price now includes a six-speed automatic transmission to go along with the 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine (five- and six-speed manuals are reserved only for 4×4 models). At the top of the range is the $39,375 V6 Limited 4×4. Some 28 other permutations are planned, combining the Taco’s two available cab lengths, short or long bed sizes, four-cylinder or V-6 engines, and two- or four-wheel-drive power trains. Scroll to the bottom for the full rundown, but note that these are the MSRP prices, presumably not including the destination and delivery charge (currently $885 for 2015 models).

One interesting bit that the documents reveal is that Toyota needs 30 percent of all Tacoma's to roll off the lots with a tri-fold bed cover, apparently “required to meet CAFE requirements.” It will be a $650 option on most Tacoma's but will be included on all Limiteds and any TRD model with the Premium & Tech package with the JBL sound system.

As for the rest of the things we have yet to learn about the Tacoma, namely power, torque, fuel economy, and what goodies will be included in these prices you see here, we should find out closer to the time the truck goes on sale this fall.

i-nZtVXWL-L.jpg

i-K2WLCKB-L.jpg

i-WbJr5CX-L.jpg