2019 Toyota Rav 4 and Rav 4 Hybrid Backup Camera System May Not Operate Recall K0N

Dread Pirate Roberts

Staff member

On August 6, 2019, Toyota filed a Noncompliance Information Report (NCIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety (Noncompliance) Recall on certain 2019 model year RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid vehicles.

Condition:
The involved vehicles are equipped with a back-up camera system which activates to show the area behind the vehicle when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. In these vehicles, there is a possibility that a damaged connector in the audio unit display is causing the back-up camera system not to activate. If the driver reverses the vehicle without checking his/her surroundings when the vehicle has this condition, there can be an increased risk of a crash. Also, this condition would lead to a noncompliance with certain safety regulations.

Remedy:
For all involved vehicles, if the backup camera system is found to be inoperative as a result of this condition, Toyota dealers will replace the audio unit display with a new one, FREE OF CHARGE.

Note: To reduce owner inconvenience, the owner notification will include instructions on how to confirm the operation of the backup camera and notify Toyota if the backup camera is functioning normally. Some owners may prefer to have a dealer inspect the vehicle for them, in which case the dealer should perform the inspection as outlined in the Technical Instructions.

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 14,200 vehicles covered by this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall. No vehicles involved in this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will notify owners by early October 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

The involved vehicles are equipped with a back-up camera system which activates to show the area behind the vehicle when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. In these vehicles, there is a possibility that a damaged connector in the audio unit display is causing the back-up camera system not to activate. If the driver reverses the vehicle without checking his/her surroundings when the vehicle has this condition, there can be an increased risk of a crash. Also, this condition would lead to a noncompliance with certain safety regulations.

What is the audio unit display?
The audio unit display is the display unit for the audio system. Also, the backup camera system shows the area behind the vehicle when the vehicle is shifted into reverse through this display unit.

What is Toyota going to do?
Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail by early October 2019, providing owners with instructions on how to confirm the operation of their backup camera system and notify Toyota if the system is functioning normally. Any owner who is uncomfortable inspecting their vehicle is advised to make an appointment with their authorized Toyota dealer to have the backup camera system inspected for this condition, FREE OF CHARGE. For all involved vehicles, if the backup camera system is found to be inoperative as a result of this condition, Toyota dealers will replace the audio unit display with a new one, FREE OF CHARGE.

Are there any warnings that this condition exists?
Yes. If the vehicle is in reverse and an image of the rear view of the vehicle does NOT show on the audio unit display, the vehicle may be affected by this condition.

Can I determine if my vehicle is affected by this condition?
Yes. If the vehicle is in reverse and an image of the rear view of the vehicle does NOT show on the audio unit display, the vehicle may be affected by this condition. If the vehicle is in reverse and an image of the rear view of the vehicle does display, the vehicle is NOT affected by the condition.

What should I do if my vehicle is NOT affected by this condition?
Toyota will include instructions in the owner letter asking that you send a response indicating your backup camera is operating normally. This will remove you from any follow up mailings.

What if I cannot determine if my vehicle is affected by this condition?
Any authorized Toyota dealer can inspect your vehicle to determine if it is affected by this condition FREE OF CHARGE.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall?

There are approximately 14,200 vehicles covered by this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall.

How long will the repair take?
The inspection will take approximately 15 minutes. For vehicles where the backup camera system is found to be inoperative, the replacement of the audio unit display will take an additional 30 minutes in addition to any inspection. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.