2019 Toyota Rav4 Farting or Honking Noise when driving?

MG

*** This condition is now covered by a warranty extension for 10 years or 125,000 miles. Please see Customer Support Program 20TE03

Please see T-SB-0065-21 REV 1

Have any of you new 2019 Toyota Rav4 Owners experienced a Honking or Farting type noise when driving? Possibly just on the Adventure model... There are reports for quite a few of these with one TechTip (See Below) already released by Toyota with a TSB possibly on the way. Below is a video of the noise--check around the 3:15 and 3:48 time mark. Thanks

MG

Tech Tip T-TT-0539-19

This Tech Tip applies to 2019 model year RAV4 Adventure/Limited grade equipped with torque vectoring AWD system ONLY.

Some customers may experience a buzz/groan at 20-30 mph when accelerating from a stop and/or at 13-20 mph on deceleration after driving the vehicle for 15-20 minutes or more.

This condition occurs with “Normal” drive mode selected.

Note: to duplicate noise, it may be required to drive vehicle for 15-20 minutes with “Sport” drive mode selected. After warm-up, vehicle must be in Normal mode to duplicate if related to transfer case.

T

Tim Z

I am seeing the same issue. Also, a noise from the back on my 2019 Adventure. It sounds like it engages the rear axle when coming to a stop so it causes a thumping noise. I know it is designed to be in AWD mode at start off. So, it seems it is re-engaging the rear axle when slowing but shouldn't until it is a full stop. I took it in our my 5,000 check up and the maintenace folks can recreate it. They believe it is a software issue. They have had it a day and a half right now. I hope it is just software.

J

Joe Daugherty

I am seeing the same issue on my 2019 Toyota Rav 4 Adventure. I am getting ready to head in for my 15000 mile check and will ask the techs about it.

J

JJT

I’m having the same issue also. It was really random but it is happening a lot now and I’m feeling it in the pedals now. Appt is on Friday

B

BDS317

Same issue! Car is ready for 5k mile check-up... I will share this thread with them.

After 15-20 mins of driving when traveling around 20mph with light acceleration I hear the same "vvvvrrrrttttt" noise.

2019 Adventure model.

J

Joe B.

I have the same noise in my 2019 RAV4 Limited. I was told that the AWD clutch assembly was broke. They had to special order the part, but it has not come in yet. The noise happens when you slow down.

A

Ann M

I have this fart type buzz noise too. I noticed it doesn’t seem to make the buzz noise in temps under 75. Also on deceleration I hear a different clunking noise. Not sure if they have anything to do with each other. Both happen around the same speed and seems to happen around a transmission gear shift(buzz up shift and clunk down shift). Fart buzz isn’t there is sport mode. Have to admit I’m not happy that I spent good money on a vehicle that has a possible major issue before my first oil change.

F

Farmad

Same issue. Appointment booked for next week. CDN dealer wasn't seeing the issue attached to VIN.

C

Christe

Have them refer to TSB 0065-19 for the repair fix.
My dealer has contacted Toyota with this same problem but we haven't heard back. Does anyone know what the fix is? We are leaving for a road trip soon and am worried that this won't be fixed before then. Also, I can find information on TSB #T-TT-0539-19 but not TSB 0065-19.
The noise has gotten worse but doesn't occur in sport mode at all.

J

JJT

I am seeing the same issue. Also, a noise from the back on my 2019 Adventure. It sounds like it engages the rear axle when coming to a stop so it causes a thumping noise. I know it is designed to be in AWD mode at start off. So, it seems it is re-engaging the rear axle when slowing but shouldn't until it is a full stop. I took it in our my 5,000 check up and the maintenace folks can recreate it. They believe it is a software issue. They have had it a day and a half right now. I hope it is just software.
I just took mine in with the same issues and they had my car all morning. They just ordered $600 in new parts from Toyota. They told me the clutch has to be replaced. Brand new car and the clutch is bad? My first Toyota with 5000 miles on it and I’m ready to sell it.

D

Dan77

Have any of you new 2019 Toyota Rav4 Owners experienced a Honking or Farting type noise when driving? Possibly just on the Adventure model... There are reports for quite a few of these with one TechTip (See Below) already released by Toyota with a TSB possibly on the way. Below is a video of the noise--check around the 3:15 and 3:48 time mark. Thanks

I’m having the same noise. Took it to Toyota and they said they’re aware of the issue but are unable to fix it until Toyota comes up with a solution and a recall. Car has 4,000 miles on it and the other day was accompanied by two large booms as I was coming to a stop also. Not happy at all for a brand new car.

MG

I’m having the same noise. Took it to Toyota and they said they’re aware of the issue but are unable to fix it until Toyota comes up with a solution and a recall. Car has 4,000 miles on it and the other day was accompanied by two large booms as I was coming to a stop also. Not happy at all for a brand new car.
No recall yet but if you read through this thread, someone listed a TSB and Tech Tip that has the fix with part numbers needed.

A

Ann M

I just got done st the dealership. They confirmed that my vehicle has this issue. They are ordering parts. Looks like there is a new updated clutch assembly. I used to be a master Toyota tech so I’m pretty loyal to the brand. This does concern me that my vehicle has a major issue with less than 2,000 miles on it.

B

Bob Tree

Yep, started at about 3K miles on 2019 limited. Took it in for 5K check up and they couldn’t replicate it even when I told them to make sure it was good and hot and had video of noise too. Said bring it back when it’s more consistent.

R

Roxanne

My 2019 RAV4 LE AWD is doing the same thing and I just dropped it off to the dealership with approximately 1900 miles. Dealership thought I was nuts until they heard !! I’m just afraid to drive it until they figure out what it is. They told me that some type of code should have. And up to say there is a problem and nothing has warned me.
I can’t wait to tell them that other people are reporting this problem and see if they can diagnose it? I just want to be sure it is safe to drive.

J

JJT

The parts came in and they replaced the parts. Drove off and within a quarter of a mile my car warning system said my AWD system was not working and it was in 2WD and see my dealer. I don’t think they even drove it after they fixed it to see if the problem was fixed. Now I’m sitting in the waiting area pissed that I bought my first Toyota and wishing I had bought the Subaru I was looking at! Looking into the Ohio Lemon Law requirements.