Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Can they even order the parts without having my engine apart to see the piston size?
The parts needed can be broken down into two parts 1) the gasket set and 2) the pistons. The Dealer can order the gasket set right now. In order to order the correct pistons, the engine will need to be torn down and inspected to see which pistons are needed A,B or C sizes.
Can you get a conformation that they at least ordered the gasket set?
Then maybe you can push the Dealer to teardown the engine down and order the pistons. Yes, they will provide you with a rental car.

Kyle Whitley

I just received this letter in the mail for my wife's 2008 XB. We have been having to add oil in between oil changes for the last couple of years due to this issue, so we are definitely going to have the test done. I am a little confused by the "Warranty" information and wanted to see if we are eligible if it does indeed fail the test. We bought the car when it had about 90,000 miles on it. It currently has around 155,000 miles on it. I do not believe we have any warranty on it, as we bought it used from a dealer. Is it still eligible to be fixed if it does fail the test?

Randy

Yes, I've seen close to 40-50 engines rebuilt under this warranty extension.
Interesting. I'm in Quebec Canada. I was told, after completing the oil consumption test, that my vehicle qualified for the repairs around the middle of June this year. I asked Customer Service about it this week (more than four months later) and was told that "At the present time the remedy parts are not yet available, ... we do not have an exact date when the parts will be available." Why would they reply like that when as you say 40-50 engines have been done under the program?

Randy

I just received this letter in the mail for my wife's 2008 XB. We have been having to add oil in between oil changes for the last couple of years due to this issue, so we are definitely going to have the test done. I am a little confused by the "Warranty" information and wanted to see if we are eligible if it does indeed fail the test. We bought the car when it had about 90,000 miles on it. It currently has around 155,000 miles on it. I do not believe we have any warranty on it, as we bought it used from a dealer. Is it still eligible to be fixed if it does fail the test?
Yes your car should be eligible. this is an enhanced warranty program specific to this engine type and this problem.

Patslife

Owners should not wait around for a second letter notification. I have rarely ever heard of an Owner actually getting a second letter. :eek:

I'm not sure that harassing the Dealer is a good idea but "staying in touch" with your Dealer on a weekly basis is. Here's how it should go, take the vehicle in for the test and get the results documented in a repair order. Keep that repair order(receipt) and the contact info of the Service Adviser that helped you. Stay in contact with him/her every 1-2 weeks.
I finally got around to contacting the dealership again, and got the company line from someone who's title is Warranty Administrator:
I have checked into your inquiry in regards to the oil consumption results for your vehicle from June 26 2015.
Unfortunately this program is still in it’s first phase which is the test itself which you have completed, “phase 2” will be the remedy phase which Toyota has not yet released.
Toyota Canada has confirmed that all affected customers will receive a letter from them when the remedy becomes available, so you should see that letter in the future.

I suspect Toyota is hoping a certain percentage of people get rid of their oil guzzler before the work is done, and at this pace I might be one of them. I don't suppose there is any reason to hang onto the receipts for all the oil I am purchasing during this period.

Jordan Stickney

I have a 2007 Solara 2.4L that my daughter drives. Long story short, it blew the engine last weekend after being 3.5 qts low and is at the local Toyota dealer. They just got the ok from Toyota corp to tear the engine down to find out what happened.

My question is, if they decide they won't cover repairs and I need to replace the engine, should I look for a pre 2007 2.4 2AZ FE? I wouldn't want to replace with like and run into the same issues. It seems as though the 2.4 from 2001 - 06 would work. Would I be better off with one of those engines in the long run?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Interesting. I'm in Quebec Canada. I was told, after completing the oil consumption test, that my vehicle qualified for the repairs around the middle of June this year. I asked Customer Service about it this week (more than four months later) and was told that "At the present time the remedy parts are not yet available, ... we do not have an exact date when the parts will be available." Why would they reply like that when as you say 40-50 engines have been done under the program?
Because my experience is from the U.S. and they may have a different situation up North. It might help if you actually spoke to a tech at the local dealer and see if he/she has been performing these jobs. That would give you a better idea as to what is going on.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I suspect Toyota is hoping a certain percentage of people get rid of their oil guzzler before the work is done
That very well could be a motivation.
and at this pace I might be one of them.
See, it just might work....o_O
Don't let them win! :mad:
LOL
I don't suppose there is any reason to hang onto the receipts for all the oil I am purchasing during this period.
Yes, it will help if they ever need 'proof' that you had an oil change performed. Put it this way, it can't hurt.

Randy

I finally got around to contacting the dealership again, and got the company line from someone who's title is Warranty Administrator:
I have checked into your inquiry in regards to the oil consumption results for your vehicle from June 26 2015.
Unfortunately this program is still in it’s first phase which is the test itself which you have completed, “phase 2” will be the remedy phase which Toyota has not yet released.
Toyota Canada has confirmed that all affected customers will receive a letter from them when the remedy becomes available, so you should see that letter in the future.

I suspect Toyota is hoping a certain percentage of people get rid of their oil guzzler before the work is done, and at this pace I might be one of them. I don't suppose there is any reason to hang onto the receipts for all the oil I am purchasing during this period.
I emailed customer service Toyota Canada about that and they said that they wouldn't reimburse me for the extra oil I'm having to add until the repair is done.

Marsha Cohen

We sent in our perfect condition, never had a problem, never was in an accident, 2009 Toyota Camry for the Oil Consumption problem, there was no leak but there was a problem with the oil consumption, it took 3 weeks and an additional $1,000 for parts not included in the warranty upgrade (when your engine is in parts on a table you have no choice but pay whatever the cost to get it fixed!). We drove the car out of the Authorized Dealers garage and heard 'muffler like noises' we immediately returned and there were loose screws that they tightened at no cost. We drove the car for 1 week and the check engine light went on, returning to the dealer they tried to reset the check engine light with no luck after another 3 days in the shop they told us we need a new transmission, and of course they would 'help' us out by charging us only $4,492.74.
HELP! anybody know it this happened before? I heard the way the Camry is built the engine is over the transmission and they probably damaged it when they put the engine in.

James

Sorry if this has been asked but does this apply to secondary owners as well. I bought my 09 camry from a toyota dealer as is but it has already used 6 qts of oil in less then a month.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Sorry if this has been asked but does this apply to secondary owners as well. I bought my 09 camry from a toyota dealer as is but it has already used 6 qts of oil in less then a month.
Good question and yes, it applies to all Owners regardless if you are the 3rd, 4th or even 15th owner. It follows the vehicle itself.

N

n tendal

My 2008 Toyota RAV4 is burning oil like crazy, called dealer in southern California and they said my VIN isn't eligible. It has the 2AZ-FE engine. Do you know if some RAV4's are not eligible?

O2ngk

We sent in our perfect condition, never had a problem, never was in an accident, 2009 Toyota Camry for the Oil Consumption problem, there was no leak but there was a problem with the oil consumption, it took 3 weeks and an additional $1,000 for parts not included in the warranty upgrade (when your engine is in parts on a table you have no choice but pay whatever the cost to get it fixed!). We drove the car out of the Authorized Dealers garage and heard 'muffler like noises' we immediately returned and there were loose screws that they tightened at no cost. We drove the car for 1 week and the check engine light went on, returning to the dealer they tried to reset the check engine light with no luck after another 3 days in the shop they told us we need a new transmission, and of course they would 'help' us out by charging us only $4,492.74.
HELP! anybody know it this happened before? I heard the way the Camry is built the engine is over the transmission and they probably damaged it when they put the engine in.
I have my 2008 Scion XB fixed for the Oil Consumption issue, and like Marsha, the first day I drove the car out from the dealer it sounds like it has muffler noise from the engine area. It sounds like I have a racing header installed. I continue to drive the car for about 3000 miles now and the noise indeed is getting lower, but not completely gone yet. Anyone else has this same "muffler" like noise after the Oil Consumption fix?

Lewis

Staff member
I have my 2008 Scion XB fixed for the Oil Consumption issue, and like Marsha, the first day I drove the car out from the dealer it sounds like it has muffler noise from the engine area. It sounds like I have a racing header installed. I continue to drive the car for about 3000 miles now and the noise indeed is getting lower, but not completely gone yet. Anyone else has this same "muffler" like noise after the Oil Consumption fix?
Have you taken it back to the Dealer and had it checked?