Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I have a Camry 2009 and it burns oil. I bought the car used in May 2015 and I have 115K on the car. noticed the extended warranty, but have not received a letter from Toyota. am I still covered and can I present my case to a dealer without having received a letter.. Thanks
Yes you can, just take it in and have the oil consumption test performed. No letter is needed.

Joseph Reyna

I have a Scion XB 2008 that has been excessively consuming oil for several years. In early November of last year I took the test that confirmed the problem. It has been nearly SIX MONTHS waiting for word on when I might expect the repair kit to be installed. I have recently learned that there are TWENTY TWO vehicles ahead of me in the queue. Are there simply not enough repair kits available? Given the number of vehicles ahead of mine, how much longer should I expect to wait before this situation is addressed? I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that I've spent quite a bit of money on oil. Looking at the cost of a 5 quart container of oil, having to fill my vehicle in between regular mileage oil and filter changes, over the last 4 years I estimate that I have purchased and used at least 5 quarts extra every 2-3 weeks in the first and second year of this problem, and 5 quarts EVERY WEEK in the 3rd year to the present. This equates to approximately 156 in between refills times $21.00 (conservatively) per 5 quart purchase, so this has so far cost me over $3000. Please give me some hope that I might expect to see this issue resolved soon. I have owned Toyota vehicles for over 30 years, but I need to know that Toyota stands behind their product enough to appreciate the need to expedite resolving this now long-standing issue. Thank You.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
have owned Toyota vehicles for over 30 years, but I need to know that Toyota stands behind their product enough to appreciate the need to expedite resolving this now long-standing issue.
Joseph, that is such an excellent and thought out reply. I'm not sure exactly where the problem lies in getting your Xb fixed but we have not seen many issues in our neck of the woods. What I would suggest is that you contact Toyota directly and open a case with them. I would suggest a 3 way call between Toyota, the Dealer and yourself and tell them exactly what you just stated here. Ask them to expedite the needed parts. That's about all I can give you as for trying to resolve this. I hate to hear this is your experience so far.

LMB

We have a 2007 Scion TC with 122k miles. we just performed the first oil consumption test. The car burned .5 qt of oil in 1100 miles. So needless to say we didn't fail the test. I am concerned as this car has consistently been low on oil at every oil change since 50,000 miles. It's usually 1-1.5 qts low at every 5k oil change. It now has severe piston slap going on. We are now doing the 2nd test. They have asked us to return in 5000 miles. I am concerned that this car will not fail the test and I will stuck with a car that more less has a motor that is worn out before it's time. We have owned several Toyotas, in fact my 2003 Sienna with 205k miles is still running strong. I am highly disappointed in the fact that I have a 25k invested in a car that is literally a POS.

speedoguy

It didn't take that long considering they rebuilt the engine. I dropped it off on a Monday morning, picked it up that Saturday morning.

I paid 98 bucks out of pocket, to have a new serpentine belt put on, I figured might as well do it since it had 112k on the original . Oddly, my service advisor tried to talk me out of it, he said the tech said my belt looked as if it had another 20k miles left on it, but I told them to just do it anyway, because I didn't want to have to deal with it in a year.

I asked if they would replace the radiator hoses while the engine was being done and was told they wouldn't do it for just the cost of the parts, and I would be paying the full labor rate on the hoses, so I passed on that.

I've had the back for just over a week, I've put about 500 miles on it, I have been driving it very conservative to break in the engine, but It seems as though everything went really smooth. I notice more power, as well as less engine noise. prior to the rebuild I would hear engine chatter similar to when an older car was in need of a valve job. I no longer notice that at all.

so far, my experience was an exceptional one. Hope it stays that way and I don't have any of the post rebuild problems others have had.

Well, that was short lived, shortly after this post was made, I developed a shutter/shake while accelerating, my car will be dropped off again so they can diagnose the problem.

I'm hoping it's something simple like a motor mount not tight.

There isn't a check engine light, and it doesn't appear to be misfiring. It just shake's while I'm accelerating, and goes away at cruising speeds/ real light throttle

Lewis

Staff member
Well, that was short lived, shortly after this post was made, I developed a shutter/shake while accelerating, my car will be dropped off again so they can diagnose the problem.

There isn't a check engine light, and it doesn't appear to be misfiring. It just shake's while I'm accelerating, and goes away at cruising speeds/ real light throttle
Make sure they take off the oil pan and check for any balance shaft damage/debris.

desi garrett

I own an 07 scion tc and I've had it for 5 years it has 124xxx miles on it now and when i bought it it had 41xxx miles on it. I never rec'd a the letter for the excessive oil consumption either. I used to check my oil every other month because my oil light would come on if i made a turn. I had just changed my oil about 1-2 months ago. Well last week my car started making this tapping/knocking sound and now my car is sitting at the toyota dealership that I bought my car from. I never had a chance to get the 1st process done because I didnt know about it until I found this. Do you think they will still accept my car for repairs due to the amount of years I've own the car or because my engine failed due to the excessive amount of oil that my engine was burning?

Patslife

That very well could be a motivation.

See, it just might work....o_O
Don't let them win! :mad:
LOL
Well, I am still waiting (even if I haven't posted since October) Anyone else in Canada getting close to a year since failing their oil consumption test? Last update I got was from April 11th stating Toyota still doesn't have a timeframe for parts.

MG

Well, I am still waiting (even if I haven't posted since October) Anyone else in Canada getting close to a year since failing their oil consumption test? Last update I got was from April 11th stating Toyota still doesn't have a timeframe for parts.
Thanks for the update.

tonyctli

I am from Mississauga Ontario Canada. My 2007 Camry failed the test on Jun 23, 2015 and has been waiting since then. I have to go back to the dealer every 2 weeks (or 1,000 km) to top up the oil, it's getting bad. Don't know when my car be fixed.

MG

I am from Mississauga Ontario Canada. My 2007 Camry failed the test on Jun 23, 2015 and has been waiting since then. I have to go back to the dealer every 2 weeks (or 1,000 km) to top up the oil, it's getting bad. Don't know when my car be fixed.
Unfortunately we don't know when parts become available but you can contact Toyota directly and stay in contact with your Dealer.

Patslife

The dealer tops it up??! They never offered that to me.

D

Deb Nakano

My 2007 Rav4 4 cyl has been diagnosed with the oil consumption problem now covered under warranty. I have been very happy with my dealership's handling of this problem, the attitudes and willingness to go the extra mile during the testing phase.

Now having failed the test I'm eligible for the rebuild to correct this problem. Having been assured that the rebuild is all is covered by Toyota including a loner, how could anyone say no. HOWEVER....with the engine now torn apart, a call to me "suggested" that "since the engine is torn apart, I should consider getting seals and gaskets replaced and a water pump to a tune of close to $1,000! Seals and gaskets don't come with a rebuild? So how was this overlooked for a vehicle of 150,000 miles BEFORE the engine was torn apart?? Being an "elder" and living on SS, I would have made another decision (fed it more oil, a trade in....) if this had been approached as a possible scenario for additional costs. Now I have to beg and borrow. It will be a week with the loner...Who else has gone through this part?

D

Deb Nakano

For those of you who failed. About how long did you have to wait till the parts where ready. I called my dealership and parts are still on backorder. I failed on December 29th, so I know I have a long time to wait :p
Had good luck with my dealer so far. 3 day wait was all, now lets see how long it takes to fix it and if additional problems come up...

speedoguy

Just an update on this, I took my car back to the dealership , after they checked out the car they told me the shutter was cause by a bad front passenger side axle, and that it was in no way their fault. and that the repair was going to cost my around $1300.

I explained to them this didnt start until after the rebuild, and was pretty much told that it was not their problem, and I could pay them to fix it, or pay someone else.

I told them I wasn't going to argue, toyota paid them a lot of money to fix mar car, and they gave me back a car in worse condition then it was in before the repair. So I would just contact toyota, and let them deal with it.

The service manager got real upset at that, and told me he'd have my car pulled out front immediately. I walked outside to wait for my car, and the service advisor met me at my car and told me they would replace my axle for free, but it would take a few day's to get the part in.

I took the car back this saturday, and they replaced the axle in about 5 hours, my car is driving great now. I installed a pair of trd struts and shocks on sunday, this car really feels like a new car now, engine has great power, ride is smooth. I feel like it breathed new life into my 2008 xb

While it sucks my axle broke in the process of the repair, and the dealership gave me a bit of the run around. in the end, I got a rebuilt engine, a new axle, and a car that runs like it was new. So I'm not going to complain.

Lewis

Staff member
While it sucks my axle broke in the process of the repair, and the dealership gave me a bit of the run around. in the end, I got a rebuilt engine, a new axle, and a car that runs like it was new. So I'm not going to complain.
Nice! I am glad to hear this and for you to share this with other Toyota Owners. This is how to stand your ground and be firm without just going nuts. It sounds like you kept your head and it all worked out. Great job!

Victor Garcia

hello, I took my 2008 Toyota Camry car for the Excessive Oil Consumption Test and after 1200 miles, the low Oil light comes on intermittently and when I took it back, they claimed that they only have to put a quart for it to be "full". So they said it is NORMAl. Now, how come that when I do my own oil level consumption test after 1200 miles, I have to add 2 quarts and a half to "full"? Why can't the dealership be transparent on this? I know they are being truthful about this. I know this going to be costly for the company, but we are willing to pay a portion to correct the issue rather than lie about this.

Last edited:
M

Michael

Hi all,

My 2008 Tc started to misfire about a month ago. I changed the plugs and the coils, and everything felt okay. Yesterday, it began to misfire again (cylinder 2). I swapped plugs and coils with no luck.

I took it to the dealership and the service manager said they get paid a lot of money to fix these, so we'll run the test and see what happens. I asked about the misfire, and he said it's okay, just drive it.

I'm wondering if that's a smart idea or not. Will a misfire cause more damage or will it eat oil and help it fail? Not sure what to think here. What are your thoughts?

-Mj

Jeff LoBello

Hi all,

My 2008 RAV4, 96000 miles, never had any oil issues and so I really didn't understand the letter that went out last December. I believe it may have been because of low use. It really wasn't driven too far and we always changed the oil after 3 months even though the mileage hadn't been reached. That changed in March -- with a longer commute. My car had been serviced in Feb by the dealership -- oil change & inspection. Now the engine is dead - ran out of oil. When we finally realized what the problem was, the dipstick didn't measure any oil at all! We added 3 quarts, but it was too late. We noticed the low oil light a few times while braking, but then it very quickly went away & so we forgot about it & thought it was a fluke. When the engine died, it still had 500 miles to go to the next oil change.

I called Toyota corporate and explained everything to them & opened a case & had it towed to my local dealership. Toyota corporate was insistenting that they would only cover oil consumption repairs after it was ceritfed that it failed an oil consumption test and that I would have to pay for all repairs to get it fully running before an oil consumption test could be performed. I couldn't believe that, but they insisted that there were no exceptions. Anyway, my local dealership handled the rest very, very well. Somehow they proved it failed the oil test & a new engine & rod was ordered last week. They also provided me with a rental car starting this week. The parts just arrived yesterday & I may get the RAV4 back Sat or next Mon.

I wanted to thank everyone who posted here! It was so helpful to me.

Thanks,

Jeff