Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

OishiiJPN

Staff member
OK, I just got back from the dealer saying that my car "failed" the oil test which means they will pay for the rebuild. They told me someone would call me to schedule an appoint for the repair and set me up with a rental car. FF to later that afternoon they call and inform me that I have to have proof of oil changes for at least the last 5 oil changes. I have 5 exactly but they do not fall inside the 5000 mile recommendation for oil changes. Am I screwed?
I don't see why. Just provide what they are asking for and then wait to see what they do.

P

PRATIK CHAUHAN

I have 2007 Toyota Camry. Last few months, I had noticed the drop in oil levels. I added oil for last five months+. Today I decided to research the cause for oil loss and discovered this matter. I never received anything from Toyota. I had purchased this vehicle used from local Toyota dealer. Can you confirm that this is still covered under warranty.

J

Jbrowneng

I have 2007 Toyota Camry. Last few months, I had noticed the drop in oil levels. I added oil for last five months+. Today I decided to research the cause for oil loss and discovered this matter. I never received anything from Toyota. I had purchased this vehicle used from local Toyota dealer. Can you confirm that this is still covered under warranty.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I can tell you that it is still covered provided you are under 150,000 miles and less than 10 years from date of first use. Your toyota dealer should be able to look up your date of first use from your VIN. I came in at 144K miles and my DOFU is September 2007. I made it by the skin of my teeth. They will require proof of oil changes for the past couple years though. I had roughly 8 that I could prove. They were NOT within the 5,000 mile recommendation of oil changes either and they still accepted it. I have an appointment to take the car in this Friday to start the work.

J

Jbrowneng

Just a followup. I was able to find about 8 oil changes that were NOT within the 5000 mile oil change parameter and they still accepted it and will start work on Friday.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Just a followup. I was able to find about 8 oil changes that were NOT within the 5000 mile oil change parameter and they still accepted it and will start work on Friday.
That is great to hear this news! Please take the time to read through this forum post to learn about all the do's and don'ts that other Toyota Owners have experienced with this repair. There's a lot of good information posted here.

J

Jane

I have a 2009 Matrix with an engine that qualifies for an extended warranty repair for excessive oil consumption. I called Toyota and asked them to waive the need for the oil study and do the repair because the car stalls coming out of first gear and is dangerous to drive. An independent mechanic has told me the stalling is related to the engine failure, but Toyota refuses to honor the extended warranty unless I drive it until the oil is low. The car burned 5 quarts of oil in three weeks but they will not take my word for it and are insisting that I need to replace a clutch for 2000.00 at their dealership before car will drive without stalling. I spent 800.00 with them, and they did not fix the problem of the car stalling, and the clutch is their next guess, but I have no cause to believe the clutch is bad as it was replaced 18 months ago by a trustworthy car mechanic in our town. I called headquarters and they advised me they would not honor the extended warranty until I completed the oil study. I am outraged that after I paid for several things they said were causing the stalling, and none of the helped the problem at all, they expect me to trust them that the clutch will fix the problem. My original mechanic is the one who told this Toyota dealer about the problem with these engines. He talked on the phone with them after they insisted it was the clutch. They still refuse to say that the stalling is due to the engine, and they are advising me to drive a car that is dangerous in order to meet the requirement for the extended warranty repair or I have to pay for a new clutch from the dealership first and they have shown nothing but ineptness and dishonesty.

John Sproule

I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe with this issue. It has the same Toyota engine as 2009 Matrix, 2AZ-FE.
Does anyone know or recommend how a Vibe owner could get this Toyota issue resolved?

K

Kevin

I have a 2007 scion tc that drinks lol like crazy . Does anyone know if I can still take it to a Toyota dealer and have it fixed? Thanks in advance

J

John B

I qualified but the service mgr. now is saying something about getting the service authorized and could take as much as a year before they get to it. Can I take my car to another dealership if and get it done sooner?

Lewis

Staff member
I qualified but the service mgr. now is saying something about getting the service authorized and could take as much as a year before they get to it. Can I take my car to another dealership if and get it done sooner?
Something here doesn't sound right. You need to contact Toyota and get them involved with this situation. Don't just trust what the Dealer Service Manager says.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
How/who should I contact?
Contact Toyota directly at 1 (800) 331-4331 and open a case (record everything from who you talk too, times and the case number itself). Have them perform a 3 way call between you, your Toyota Dealer and the Toyota Rep to see what the hold up is. Your just asking simply to have this concern taken care of in a timely manner.

J

John B

Done. Seemed like a positive conversation with Toyota and should here something more definitive from dealership by Wednesday.

O

OSU1994

Well, this stinks. I have a 2006 RAV4 that my daughter drives and it is burning through oil like crazy. I am the second owner and never received the notice about the the LSE. Called Toyota, and since I am outside of the extended coverage window, they said I don’t qualify for the fix. Just seems wrong in my opinion. Toyota dealer wants $4600 to fix the issue.

Dan__

New engine needed - JDM?

Hello all,

In a nutshell, our manual transmission 2007 tC's engine died a few weeks ago due to oil starvation, and we need a new engine. We are the 2nd owner, 90K miles total, the car was originally purchased in 2006. The best that Toyota seems willing to do for us is that a local dealer will install a different engine for $1500 (labor only). Some questions up front:

1. Is there any advice to get Toyota to do more?
2. What do you think of JDM engines as an option?
3. In particular, would this particular engine be the proper fitment?
05-10 SCION TC 2.4L JDM 2AZ-FE 2AZ
4. Do you have any experience or knowledge about this vendor (JDM Engine Depot)?
5. What might be the best way to convince Toyota to cover the piston/ring repair on this new (used) engine so we don't have this experience again?

----------

Background (feel free to ignore):
As most of you were already aware, some of the tC and other Toyota 4 cyclinder engines have issues with oil consumption as they age, so much so that there was a class action lawsuit and an extended warrantee granted for these engines, to the tune of 10 years or 150,000 miles.

Our car, which my daughter loves dearly, and I'm fairly fond of as well (it has TRD suspension components) was purchased 2 years ago with 70K miles. It now has 90,000. No one ever mentioned the issue with the oil consumption - not the prior owner, nor Toyota. The car has always been maintained on Mobile 1, with 5000 mile drain intervals. On the somewhat rare occasions that I've checked the oil in between bringing it in for service, I have not found it to be much low.

This time around though, with 4000 miles since the last oil change, the car stalled while I was driving and put my foot on the clutch. I let the clutch out, and it restarted. No strange dash warning lights. It did this once again a mile later, and restarted, and I decided to go straight to the mechanic (5 more minutes). However, I didn't make it that far before it stalled and wouldn't start. Towed to our mechanic who diagnosed it as seized, no engine oil. Sigh.

The car is 11 years old at what we thought was a fresh 90K miles (it's a Toyota after all), and Toyota corporate won't do a darn thing for us. We are very, very disappointed in Toyota. We did manage to get a local Toyota dealer to give us break on labor for an engine replacement ($1500), as we'll be in the market for a $40K SUV next year, and right now the Highlander would still be in contention, but my wife doesn't want to touch another Toyota if they do nothing.

We've examined a number of options including used from salvage yard, rebuilt (Jasper, Jarco), and are looking for something simple/direct replacement. A JDM engine seems like the cheapest and least mileage option.

-----------

So any advice on working with Toyota, replacement engines, or other options? (Please see specific questions above)
Any other advice?

Thanks,

Dan

M

Mike Cummings

Just got back from the dealer and my 2008 Camry Hybrid failed the test. I had 3 days and 100 Miles left on the extended warranty! The dealer ordered the parts and will call when they come in. Repair will take 3-4 days and they will provide a loaner. So far so good!

L

Lisa

I'm not sure why you did not receive you letter but at least you know about it now. The first step is to schedule and appointment with your local Toyota Dealer and have an oil consumption test performed. This test is performed in two parts and the technician will fill out some paperwork along with this test.

The first visit the technician will top off the oil level to the full mark, put some tamper resistant marks/tape on the engine drain hole, dipstick and oil cap. He/she should fill out a form with all you information and attach that to the repair order. You should then return to have the oil consumption checked within 1100-1300 miles. Anything over this mileage will void the test and they will have to start over.

On that return visit they will see how many quarts of oil that you engine used, record it and again fill out some paperwork. If you passed then that's the end. I think you get two chances to prove that your engine uses more than the 1.2qts per 1000 miles. Of course, if your engine failed, it would be fixed. As of right now, I think the parts are not available.
tamper-evident-security-packing-tape--250x250.jpg

L

Lisa

This is a boldfaced lie. My 2009 Toyota just failed the oil consumption test. I then had to drive it for 1100-1300 miles. It burned 2 quarts of oil in 3 weeks. They are refusing to fix it because of my mileage.