1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

Discussion in 'Warranty Extensions' started by OishiiJPN, Jan 5, 2015.

1. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

You need to contact your local Toyota Dealer. We are now into the secondary coverage period which is...

The Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the (DOFU) Date Of First Use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

2. paulgoh

paulgoh New Member

My camry hybrid failed the test last week and my dealer told me that the would remove the engine from my car and send it to a machine shop for repairs and I was told that the repair could take 1 - 3 weeks because other than the pistons, they also need to take "measurements" of various other things and order parts as needed.

3. Zenmaster

Zenmaster New Member

Hi everyone, I have a 2009 Scion TC that was purchased by the original owner in February 2009. It currently has 105,000 miles. Am I covered by the "Secondary coverage"?

If so, what documentation can I bring in to my appointment this week to tell them what I want done? I called in and was trying to explain and they had no clue what I was talking about.

I also am not sure if I will even fail the consumption test. I had my oil changed 2 months ago and it was on the full line on the dipstick and now it's barely at the bottom dot.

Thanks!

4. paulgoh

paulgoh New Member

If you changed your oil 3,000 miles / 2 months ago, you are burning about 0.33 quart of oil every 1,000 miles and if everything I said was true, then surely you do not burn enough to fail the test.

5. Zenmaster

Zenmaster New Member

It was 2 months ago and only 1,000 miles.

6. Dan M

Dan M Guest

Hi All,

I have been tracking this thread today ... the oil issue has just popped up in the last few months with my Rav4 and I am researching now and finding I may be missing the 10 year window by literally days. I am planning to fight tooth and nail to get as much coverage as possible on the issue.

But, should Toyota not come through for me, I am wondering what anyone thinks is the best path in the absence of warranty coverage... I am not a high car-IQ person. Could/should I consider driving the car as normal and just adding 1-2q of oil every few months? Is that going to be problematic for the engine? Is the engine probably already damaged? Is getting this fixed ($3-5k?) an absolute necessity or is there a "workaround?"

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

7. paulgoh

paulgoh New Member

I suspect you won't go very far on your fight with Toyota. It is quite obvious to me that they were willing to screw their customers over to save money, with the kind of oil consumption test that they designed, i.e., stringent time and oil consumption requirements designed to exclude many customer with the defective engine.

What you should do with your car really depends on the condition of your car and how many miles you have on it. If there are many miles on it and the condition is not great, it might be best to keep driving it and adding oil. However, if it is working perfectly and the mileage is not high, you might want to spend some money to repair it because the piston ring defect might cause cylinder wall scarring due to oil starvation, damaged valve stem seals, oil fouled spark plugs, etc. Take a look at this video, the guy managed to fix the problem by drilling 2 more holes in the piston and replacing the rings on it, a local engine repair shop with good reputation might be able to do it for under 2k:

(For engine longevity, you should also consider replacing the valve stem seals and spark plugs if you choose to repair the engine.)

MG likes this.