Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Are they still doing the Oil Consumption test? I have a 2006 Rav4 and it's been doing this for awhile. Do I need to contact a dealership or Toyota HQ?
You need to contact your local Toyota Dealer. We are now into the secondary coverage period which is...

The Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the (DOFU) Date Of First Use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

paulgoh

My camry hybrid failed the test last week and my dealer told me that the would remove the engine from my car and send it to a machine shop for repairs and I was told that the repair could take 1 - 3 weeks because other than the pistons, they also need to take "measurements" of various other things and order parts as needed.

Zenmaster

Hi everyone, I have a 2009 Scion TC that was purchased by the original owner in February 2009. It currently has 105,000 miles. Am I covered by the "Secondary coverage"?

If so, what documentation can I bring in to my appointment this week to tell them what I want done? I called in and was trying to explain and they had no clue what I was talking about.

I also am not sure if I will even fail the consumption test. I had my oil changed 2 months ago and it was on the full line on the dipstick and now it's barely at the bottom dot.

Thanks!

paulgoh

I also am not sure if I will even fail the consumption test. I had my oil changed 2 months ago and it was on the full line on the dipstick and now it's barely at the bottom dot.

If you changed your oil 3,000 miles / 2 months ago, you are burning about 0.33 quart of oil every 1,000 miles and if everything I said was true, then surely you do not burn enough to fail the test.

D

Dan M

Hi All,

I have been tracking this thread today ... the oil issue has just popped up in the last few months with my Rav4 and I am researching now and finding I may be missing the 10 year window by literally days. I am planning to fight tooth and nail to get as much coverage as possible on the issue.

But, should Toyota not come through for me, I am wondering what anyone thinks is the best path in the absence of warranty coverage... I am not a high car-IQ person. Could/should I consider driving the car as normal and just adding 1-2q of oil every few months? Is that going to be problematic for the engine? Is the engine probably already damaged? Is getting this fixed ($3-5k?) an absolute necessity or is there a "workaround?"

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

paulgoh

Hi All,

I have been tracking this thread today ... the oil issue has just popped up in the last few months with my Rav4 and I am researching now and finding I may be missing the 10 year window by literally days. I am planning to fight tooth and nail to get as much coverage as possible on the issue.

But, should Toyota not come through for me, I am wondering what anyone thinks is the best path in the absence of warranty coverage... I am not a high car-IQ person. Could/should I consider driving the car as normal and just adding 1-2q of oil every few months? Is that going to be problematic for the engine? Is the engine probably already damaged? Is getting this fixed ($3-5k?) an absolute necessity or is there a "workaround?"

I suspect you won't go very far on your fight with Toyota. It is quite obvious to me that they were willing to screw their customers over to save money, with the kind of oil consumption test that they designed, i.e., stringent time and oil consumption requirements designed to exclude many customer with the defective engine.

What you should do with your car really depends on the condition of your car and how many miles you have on it. If there are many miles on it and the condition is not great, it might be best to keep driving it and adding oil. However, if it is working perfectly and the mileage is not high, you might want to spend some money to repair it because the piston ring defect might cause cylinder wall scarring due to oil starvation, damaged valve stem seals, oil fouled spark plugs, etc. Take a look at this video, the guy managed to fix the problem by drilling 2 more holes in the piston and replacing the rings on it, a local engine repair shop with good reputation might be able to do it for under 2k:
(For engine longevity, you should also consider replacing the valve stem seals and spark plugs if you choose to repair the engine.)

R

RAV4 Oil Burner

I had my 2006 Toyota RAV4's oil consumption tested three times. The first two tests which were done during the 'enhanced warranty period' PASSED when the dealership provided the oil which they said was 5W20. However, both BEFORE and AFTER these tests the car burned one quart every 600 miles. The third test was done after the extended warranty had lapsed (car was just 10 years old with 117K miles). The Toyota dealership let me provide the recommended 5W20 oil which I watched them install. When installing, the mechanic even joked that this would not make a difference because the warranty had lapsed. Test results: FAILED - The car burned over two quarts of oil in 1250 miles. The red oil lamp even flickered a bit on turns.

I've contacted Toyota Corporate many times and they are no help whatsoever. I even sent an e-mail to Toyota's CEO Mr. Toyoda in Japan (yes, there is such a person) - no reply yet. Corporate knows about the last test failing, but they insist that I work this out with the dealer. The dealer - in turn - refuses to take my calls and has ignored a certified letter that I sent to him. These people are consummate buck passers of the highest (?) caliber.

A complaint has been sent to the Better Business Bureau which - if unsuccessful - will be followed by a small claims action against Toyota Corporate and the dealership COLLECTIVELY. Toyota Corporate knew very well which cars had received the defective pistons, but decided against a mass recall because of the expense involved. SHAME ON THEM.

We have over 24 Toyotas in our extended family and NONE burn any appreciable amounts of oil.

L

Littlefish

I'm so upset with Toyota. The service manager acted like this is not a big deal that Camry is blowing blue smoke. They began the oil consumption test today. Has anyone had problems recently with their Camry ? Is Toyota trying to cover this up about the piston rings ?

W

Weeze

I have a 2007 Scion TC that we bought new, it started using oil early on. We were told about this program and that Toyota would fix it but we had to wait for parts and wait our turn. A few years go by and then we’re told that they no longer have to fix it because the car is 10 years old. They basically put us off until they no longer had to fix it. The car now has 165,000 miles on it and I have to put a quart of oil in every time I fill up. I had been buying Toyotas for the last few decades, but after this experience my last new car was a Subaru.

R

Robert Korn

After reading your TSB concerning Toyota's acceptable guidelines of 1 quart of used oil per 1200 miles has sealed my lifetime boycott of all Toyota products. Anyone with knowledge about engines knows that a well designed, well tuned engine doesn't burn ANY oil, much less a quart every 1200 miles. I'm in the market for a new car and Toyota is no longer "in the hunt" if you get my drift.

I know this is an old thread but for anyone reading this I had to respond. Having working as a mechanic in the auto field for 20 years I can tell you ALL engines consume SOME oil. Up to a quart per 1000 miles has always been considered within tolerance by many manufacturers. Any amount above that is excessive (like this Toyota) which is why it is being repaired.

P

Paul Goh

I know this is an old thread but for anyone reading this I had to respond. Having working as a mechanic in the auto field for 20 years I can tell you ALL engines consume SOME oil. Up to a quart per 1000 miles has always been considered within tolerance by many manufacturers. Any amount above that is excessive (like this Toyota) which is why it is being repaired.

Are you kidding me? I agree that some oil consumption is fine, but you realize that if you burn 1 QT per 1000 miles, your engine would have no oil left at 5000 miles oil change interval? The only reason why the manufacturers published such ridiculously high tolerance is because they want to get away with the garbage engine that they made and shift the cost of their mistake to consumers.

S

sam

I have an 09 vibe gt. 2.4l same motor. How do I get the parts needed to repair this issue. I'm screwed on any warranty because its a Toyota motor in a Pontiac car.

S

sam

Hi All,

S

sam

I have same issue and talked to a Toyota master mechanic. He told me if you car is running fine with no issues if you just keep adding oil when needed it will run forever. May eventually clog catalytic converter but that a way cheaper fix.

J

Jeffrey Wilson

2007 Toyota Camry. Bought NEW. Consumes 1qt in about 800 miles. I'm paying for Toyota's screw-up now. Will share my experience with everyone I know.

A

ARIC

I have this same problem with my vehicle. I just called the Toyota dealership and they said that the warranty extension expired 05/2017 or 150k miles. So is this it? Am I just out of luck?

M

Marcos

I just found out about this LSC today. My wifes car ('08 Sciot Tc) has been consuming oil at an excessive rate as well. I have been having to add about 2 qrts of oil every 1,000 miles. Does anyone know if Toyota is still repairing? We never got a letter in the mail today. We are about ready to give up and sell the car due to this issue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks