Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

T

Tracy

Had my 2007 Camry in today for the oil consumption test. The dealership changed my oil and filter after I told them it was just changed last weekend. Then they slapped me with a $40 bill for changing my oil and said they were told to do an oil change on cars coming in for oil consumption testing . This is a load of bull and I hope somebody gets a lawsuit to stick for this kind of behavior and faulty designs.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Had my 2007 Camry in today for the oil consumption test. The dealership changed my oil and filter after I told them it was just changed last weekend. Then they slapped me with a $40 bill for changing my oil and said they were told to do an oil change on cars coming in for oil consumption testing . This is a load of bull and I hope somebody gets a lawsuit to stick for this kind of behavior and faulty designs.
You should not have been charged unless you agreed what was being done to your Camry. Have you talked with the Service Director about this yet?

R

Robin

I have a 2008 Rav4 with 72,000 miles. Went through 3 quarts of oil in about 3400 miles. Took car in to dealer have it checked per Toyota's notification. I'm in the middle of my 2nd "qualifying test" because I checked the oil at 800 miles and apparently invalidated the test. (Not touching the dipstick would have been good info the dealership could have shared with me! Grrrr.) As a girl with no knowledge of car engines, I'm not exactly sure what the repair is. Is it essentially a new engine? Should I just ditch this car and trade it in?? I'm holding off doing strut repairs until I know what to do. Any advise would be great!!

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I'm in the middle of my 2nd "qualifying test" because I checked the oil at 800 miles and apparently invalidated the test. (Not touching the dipstick would have been good info the dealership could have shared with me! Grrrr.)
Robin, I'm sorry to hear this. The technician who started the oil consumption test should have topped off your engine oil and then "sealed" it using the Toyota tamper proof stickers on the oil cap, dipstick, drain plug and oil filter. Here are some pics showing you what they should have done...

IMG_7919_cleaned-M.jpg

IMG_7920_cleaned-M.jpg

IMG_0047_cleaned-M.jpg

If they didn't do this, then they are not following the correct procedure themselves. :eek:

I'm not exactly sure what the repair is. Is it essentially a new engine?

If the engine shows that it failed the oil consumption test then the Dealer should tear down the engine and inspect the pistons and cylinder block walls. If the cylinder walls are ok with no scoring or wear patterns then they will install a new set of piston and rings like these...

IMG_5863_cleaned-M.jpg

if the cylinder walls have score (scratch) marks or are worn down like these....

score%20wear-M.jpg

Then they would install a new short block.

Should I just ditch this car and trade it in??

I would wait to see if it fails the test and if it does, go through with the repair. The one piece of advice I would say is to actually meet the technician who is going to perform this job and to make sure that he/she is a Toyota Master Technician. Also, just let them know that if it needs any additional repairs or recommendations to please let you know.

Toyota is moving towards a repair ideology of "Right Tech, Right Car". This basically means that the technician performing the repair has to be certified in that repair skill area. We don't want a lube tech rebuilding your engine now do we?

I'm holding off doing strut repairs until I know what to do.
That's a great idea.

L

Larry

I own 2007 Toyota Camry 4cyl le . how come I never rec'd letter on oil consumption? am I still eligible to get it fixed?
Beware the dealer is not all that encourage to let you pass when you take the test have 1299 miles when you pull into the dealer.

R

RTT

2007 RAV4 Failed Oil Consumption Test in May 2015.

A repair order was generated for both the 1st (initial) and follow up Oil consumption test.

The Toyota NJ dealership is taking the following approach to my case -

Ordering the piston and rings for all 3 possible types of installation in the 2007 RAV4's
Types --> A, B or C.

Now type A is available immediately but B and C are on backorder.

So once all piston and ring combinations A B and C are available at the dealership, they will tear down the engine and replace the piston and rings required for my engine --> Either A B or C

The dealership will not tear down the engine ONLY once all 3 combinations of pistons and rings are in the dealership ready to be installed.

Otherwise the dealership have a car with a torn down engine sitting on their lot.

Is my dealership taking the right approach?

I understand from this forum --> Parts CANNOT be ordered until an engine is torn down.

Should my dealership tear down the engine NOW and then waiting on parts to arrive. And put me in a loner car in the meantime (possibly in a loner for months!)

C

ChrisTyler

My engine just seized up on my 2007 Scion tC. I'm reading here that there is a remedy where the dealerships are requested to replace pistons at no cost. Is this true? I don't want to pay for a tow if that isn't the case.

P

PLN

Hey All,
Just failed the consumption test... Never wanted to fail a test before. Oh that's good! No that's bad! Seems I am number 14 inline for the repairs at my dealer in Bristol, TN and the number one car has been torn down for 6 weeks waiting for parts. Do the math: if parts show up now for car one, well I only have to wait (14 cars x 6 weeks = 84 weeks... Over a year and a half and I am burning 1 quart every 350 miles which is a week of driving at 5 dollars a quart. Hmmmm, that works out to be almost $450.00 of oil to get a free (so they say) engine rebuild. Just might be worth it, if I don't sell the car or burn up the engine first. That begs a question, now that I have had the consumption test and failed... if I do burn up the engine will they still fix it? Could save me $450.00 of oil that way...

J

Justin

I just had a manufacturer recall done on my 2009 toyota camry hybrid on the oil pan and dash board. About a week later I was driving on the highway and my car died. The accelerator would not work and luckily I was able to pull over to the side of the road. Is it more than just a coincidence that my car was driving great, then after the recalls it totally breaks down, and the diagnosis is both batteries, hybrid and regular are done for and the engine seized. I got a call 3 weeks later and was finally given the news that it was going to cost 11k to fix, lol, that is more than the car is worth. Do I have any legal rights here because it seems like much more than a coincidence that right after I had the recalls done everything goes haywire to a car that was working perfect. If anything they should either fix it free of charge because obviously something in the oil pan did not work since the engine is seized and some wires must have got crossed to kill both batteries. Please feel free to email me at juice2007@gmail.com with any helpful suggestions.

Thanks.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I just had a manufacturer recall done on my 2009 toyota camry hybrid on the oil pan and dash board.
When you say that you had the recall done on the oil pan, do you mean that you had the warranty extension performed on the oil consumption and now the engine is seized? If that's the case then you need to open a case with Toyota and pursue this through Toyota Corp. If it is something the Technician did improperly, then they will fix it.

B

Byron

I will have the parts to "cure" the oil consumption in my 2007 Camry on Monday. It is suppose to be a 2-3 day installation process with Toyota getting me rental car. My concern is will the parts prolong the life of my car and what parts that are being installed? Finally has someone had the parts installed and still have problems associated with oil consumption? Please advise

newmanfan1

Had my 07 camry done back in april, and all mine needed were new pistons, and rings. Some people get new short blocks if their walls are scratched or burnt. I can say I haven't had any issues with oil consumption since my repair was done back in april. Also not 1 drop of oil had to be added from repair to 5000 mile oil change.

B

Bob Mc

I am the owner of a 2008 Camry LE with over 180,000 miles. I bought it new and have been driving it everyday since it was purchased. It has had oil changes throughout its life at between 3,000 and 5,000 miles since 2008 from the same service station. Yesterday, the oil light began to flash. No big deal since it has come on in the past as a reminder to get it serviced. However, a short time later the "Check Engine" light came on and the car started to shake and make "knocking" noises. It also started to lose power. We pulled over and had it towed to the repair station. The mechanic said there was no oil at all and that the crankshaft was damaged. He put oil in it and it sounded slightly better but the engine is definitely not running well at all.

This car has never used oil in the past, was serviced regularly and was never a problem at all. My question is how does a car with over 180,000 miles never having an oil problem to a flashing "Change Oil" to "Check Engine" in a single afternoon? The car NEVER had an oil leak in its life. This damage obviously goes beyond piston replacement but is this covered under the above warranty extension? This oil problem came out of nowhere and was not the result of any form of neglect. What can I do?

Lewis

Staff member
This damage obviously goes beyond piston replacement but is this covered under the above warranty extension?
Yes, it is covered if your engine fails the oil consumption test. See newmanfan1's reply just above yours and you can see that some engines will only need new pistons and rings while others will get a new short block. It just depends on what is found when the Technician tears down the engine for inspection.

What can I do?
Take it in to your favorite Toyota Dealer and have them start the oil consumption test.

M

Micheal

Can I sue the dealership for not informing me about the oil consumption problem before selling me the car? That's just not right that a Toyota Dealership would sell a car KNOWING this problem exist.

C

Carol

I received the Oil Consumption Warranty letter in March of this year, explaining about the test. I schedule an appointment and took my car in, I knew it would fail and it did. My 2009 Camry has been using oil since about 100,000 miles and it currently has 198,000. I have been waiting since March to have the repairs done and I called today and the pistons are still not in. Is there that big of a shortage or is just the dealer talking because they do not want to honor the warranty work?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I received the Oil Consumption Warranty letter in March of this year, explaining about the test. I schedule an appointment and took my car in, I knew it would fail and it did. My 2009 Camry has been using oil since about 100,000 miles and it currently has 198,000. I have been waiting since March to have the repairs done and I called today and the pistons are still not in. Is there that big of a shortage or is just the dealer talking because they do not want to honor the warranty work?
I think the problem may be regional but really have no way of knowing this for sure. Some engines we have no problem getting parts for, while other take a week or two. I would suggest that you contact Toyota and see if they can help facilitate in getting these parts for you. 1-800-331-4331

P

PLN

Hey All,
Just failed the consumption test... Never wanted to fail a test before. Oh that's good! No that's bad! Seems I am number 14 inline for the repairs at my dealer in Bristol, TN and the number one car has been torn down for 6 weeks waiting for parts. Do the math: if parts show up now for car one, well I only have to wait (14 cars x 6 weeks = 84 weeks... Over a year and a half and I am burning 1 quart every 350 miles which is a week of driving at 5 dollars a quart. Hmmmm, that works out to be almost $450.00 of oil to get a free (so they say) engine rebuild. Just might be worth it, if I don't sell the car or burn up the engine first. That begs a question, now that I have had the consumption test and failed... if I do burn up the engine will they still fix it? Could save me $450.00 of oil that way...

Just found out if I keep the receipt for the oil Toyota will reimburse me for the cost of the oil... OK, but the sooner the better on getting this thing fixed...!!!

Patslife

Well, I am still waiting (even if I haven't posted since October) Anyone else in Canada getting close to a year since failing their oil consumption test? Last update I got was from April 11th stating Toyota still doesn't have a timeframe for parts.

Well, I'm done with this. I failed my test over a year ago (June 2015), plus the time it takes for the test and scheduling the appointment once you receive the letter. I went from disappointed that Toyota was not dealing with this issue, to hopeful when the letters where going out, and back to disappointed.

The Kia dealership was informed of this recall (oops, sorry... warranty extention) upon trade-in, and offered way more than double what the Toyota dealership offered to keep me in one of their vehicles. Perhaps I was naïve to think Toyota had more incentive to take this car back.

My story isn't as dramatic as those whose engine burned out days before receiving the letter, or those who fought for years to have the oil consumption issue formally acknowledged, but it will be the story I tell my friends when talking cars.

Thanks to those who keep this thread loaded with useful knowledge. It has been a treat!

Last edited: