Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

Niska

Hi there!

I recently bought a 2011 Scion XB, just over a year ago. Anyway, a few weeks ago I developed a knocking sound in my engine. I drove home and had my boyfriend check it out. Looks like I had low oil and when he did an oil change he found metal debris in the oil. I was just passed my due date for an oil change. So, I went to the Toyota dealership to see what my options were.

I am in the warranty period for the oil consumption issue so the dealership recommended an oil consumption test. My question is, should I do an oil consumption test when I have rod knock? I don't want to seize the engine and make things worse... and then what if it falls in spec.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

B

Bill McCluskey

I've purchased (4 ) Toyota's, the 2009 Camry Hybrid being our 3rd. The car engine just blew up and I am at a total loss because my car is 457 miles past the 150,000 warranty extension that I would have qualified for based on the above engineering defect. I never received the Letter stating that there was an engineering defect that would cause the car to lose all of its oil.

This is unacceptable and not what I would expect from a world class company like Toyota.

Niska

2011 Scion XB Oil Consumption Update: I did Toyota's oil consumption test and my oil light came on at about 430 miles into the test. So, I immediately pulled over and had it towed to the dealership.

They checked the oil and it was very low so they took pictures of the tape and sent them in...

About a week later they called and told me they were going to tare down the engine to see if there was scoring and take pictures of the serial numbers. He said that they were doing this to see if it would covered by this warranty. He made it seem like if there was scoring then nothing would be covered by the warranty.

I read through all the posts in this thread and it looks like they are checking for scoring to see if they need to replace the short block or just the piston rings and the serial numbers are the numbers for the piston rings? Is my assumption correct?

Thank you

K

Kaisawheel

I've purchased (4 ) Toyota's, the 2009 Camry Hybrid being our 3rd. The car engine just blew up and I am at a total loss because my car is 457 miles past the 150,000 warranty extension that I would have qualified for based on the above engineering defect. I never received the Letter stating that there was an engineering defect that would cause the car to lose all of its oil.

This is unacceptable and not what I would expect from a world class company like Toyota.

I had the exact thing happen with a 2008 Scion TC this weekend. My engine is totally destroyed, despite my best attempts to maintain the car. I'm at 106,000 miles but over the 10 year mark. This is bull$#(&...

G

Giova

I have a scion tc 2008 he’s drinking the oil I never get the notificacion wanna know if im still able to fix my car he have already 153 000 miles hes able to be fix

S

Sadsack

We got our 2006 Rav oil job covered by Toyota. The car was backto normal upon return...no oil burning. Wed decided to keep the car for my daughter to use as a commuter to college. Guess what...just hit 160K and the problem is back. Apparently whatever they did was not a fix for an obvious design flaw. If they had told me the issue would arise again at in another 80K I would have dumped the car. Here, it's 2019...I will write Toyota, we do have some solace in that we now own two 2018 subarus...and one old guzzeling rav. Funny, the reason we got the subies had more to do with the local dealership...Shame on Toyota all around.

S

Sadclown

Hello everyone.
Since my 2009 Yaris RS 2 doors has been totaled, while parked, by a drunk driver last mont, I've been considering a Matrix (would be more practical for our "kid project"). Now, I see a lot of them with the 1.8 liters 2ZR engine. I really like the look of the S version and I don't bother having the small engine, but they sell higher than a 2012 XRS with 48k km I've seen around. My girlfriend father let me use is 09 Corolla XRS and I really like the way it drive. He is experiencing oil consumption at 168k km (I don't know at what level tho) and I don't want to deal with this kind of issue on my next car since it will be my daily driver.

Should I pass on a 2.4 liter Matrix and get a S one (1.8) and pay more? I don't bother doing every maintenance (following their calendar) at the dealer and even putting synthetic oil on the 2.4. I guess 2012 isn't a better year for the 2AZ and that I will most likely have to deal with those issues one day? Do having all of the maintenantce done at the dealership would ease the process? Does a Matrix is a lot more expensive to maintain than my beloved Yaris? Is the warranty process, in Canada, doing well? Or shoul I just stay away from the 2.4

Well, that's a lot of questions. Hope your answers would help me do the right choice.
Thanks all!

B

Brian1237

I have a scion tc 2008 he’s drinking the oil I never get the notificacion wanna know if im still able to fix my car he have already 153 000 miles hes able to be fix
Unfortunately, I think the extended warranty is only good for 10 years or 150,000 miles. I have a 2009 matrix with the 2.4 engine and I got the work done for free. It no longer burns any oil and I have practically a new engine. I got this work done about 2 years ago and 40,000 miles later I haven’t had any more problems. You should talk to your dealer and discuss your options. Good luck!

B

Brian1237

Hello everyone.
Since my 2009 Yaris RS 2 doors has been totaled, while parked, by a drunk driver last mont, I've been considering a Matrix (would be more practical for our "kid project"). Now, I see a lot of them with the 1.8 liters 2ZR engine. I really like the look of the S version and I don't bother having the small engine, but they sell higher than a 2012 XRS with 48k km I've seen around. My girlfriend father let me use is 09 Corolla XRS and I really like the way it drive. He is experiencing oil consumption at 168k km (I don't know at what level tho) and I don't want to deal with this kind of issue on my next car since it will be my daily driver.

Should I pass on a 2.4 liter Matrix and get a S one (1.8) and pay more? I don't bother doing every maintenance (following their calendar) at the dealer and even putting synthetic oil on the 2.4. I guess 2012 isn't a better year for the 2AZ and that I will most likely have to deal with those issues one day? Do having all of the maintenantce done at the dealership would ease the process? Does a Matrix is a lot more expensive to maintain than my beloved Yaris? Is the warranty process, in Canada, doing well? Or shoul I just stay away from the 2.4

Well, that's a lot of questions. Hope your answers would help me do the right choice.
Thanks all!
Hi, I have a 2009 matrix s with the 2.4 engine. I had the warranty work done and now I don’t burn any oil where before, I was burning over a quart in 1200 miles. I would definitely recommend the 1.8 engine if you are thinking the matrix. Hope this helps!

S

Steven

Hi,
I was at Toyota Huntsville, Alabama and I did the oil consumption test. It was confirmed that my vehicle has this problem.
However, they gave me a quote for repairs and the technician said my vehicle was a salvaged vehicle and it is not covered by the warranty.
The vehicle has only been used by 1 person before me, the accident the vehicle had was a light hit on front bumper and it had nothing to do with the engine.
What are my options

B

BinMO

I have a 2007 Rav4 and the oil is going somewhere. Is there an actual recall now or still deny?

W

WESAM

2010 Camry consumes a lot of oil. They told me it’s not covered by the warranty because it’s 2010 and the warantey covered 2006-2009. I still see that the car is consuming a lot of oil. Is there any defect or anything that’s covered by warranty? Please help!

E

Edgar Vera

I have a Camry 2010. But 178000 miles approx. I dont see any leaks and almost 1000 miles a need a quarter Do I qualify for this warranty?

P

Prabhu

Hey I have Toyota Camry 2007, miles 118k. Runs smoothly except excessive oil consumption, consuming oil every 1k. dealer denied to repair since it is out of warrenty, I am not ready to spend 4k to fix this, Please suggest any fix to reduce the oil consumption?

P

Pat Modrell

For all with excessive oil consumption - I've added "Sea Foam" to the oil, 300-500 miles before oil change. Seems to be slowing oil consumption since it dissolves the buildup in the engine, cleaning oil return holes in pistons. Long term - not sure since new Subaru coming in in a few weeks and bye-bye RAV4. Give it a try - can't hurt.

S

siva

Hi all,

Am Siva, planning to buy 2010 Toyota Camry LE, did anybody noticed the Excessive engine oil consumption in your 2010 Toyota Camry cars, or does anybody come to know that it consumes or burns excessive engine oil.

Thanks
Siva

K

Kirby Trase

Old%20Piston-S.jpg
New%20Piston-S.jpg

Old Piston with clogged Oil passages

Subject: Limited Service Campaign (LSC) ZE7
Enhanced Warranty Coverage for Excessive Oil Consumption on the following vehicles..

2007-2009 Camry
2007-2011 Camry Hybrid
2007-2008 Solara
2009-2012 Corolla
2009-2013 Matrix
2006-2008 Rav4
2007-2008 Scion Tc
2008-2009 Scion Xb

In Toyota's continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is launching a Limited Service Campaign (LSC) ZE7 to repair excessive oil loss (consumption).

Background:
Toyota has received some reports where vehicles may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption. This Warranty Enhancement Program will be launched in two phases due to current production limitations.

Initially, Toyota will inform Owners that they may seek reimbursement consideration for previous repairs top address excessive oil consumption. Additionally, Owners will be advised that if they believe their vehicle has excessive oil consumption, they can contact an authorized Toyota Dealer to have the engine oil consumption test performed to determine if they will be eligible for future part replacement once sufficient parts are available. Once sufficient parts are produced, Toyota will send a second Owner notification letter informing them that they may seek part replacement if their vehicle has excessive engine oil consumption.

Limited Service Campaign (LSC) Remedy
Authorized Toyota dealerships are requested to replace the Engine Pistons at NO CHARGE to the
vehicle’s owner.

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until October 31, 2016 regardless of mileage.

The Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the (DOFU) Date Of First Use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This is not a Recall, it is a warranty enhancement.

What should you do if you experience this condition?

Please contact you local Toyota Dealer for appropriate diagnosis and repair at no cost to you.

What if a customer has already paid for this repair?

If you have previously paid for repairs related to this condition, please mail a copy of your repair order, proof-of payment, and proof-of-ownership to the following address for reimbursement consideration:
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
Scion Customer Experience, WC 10
19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90509​
Include your name, address, and telephone number(s) in your request. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks to process your request.

K

Kirby Trase

RUN from used Toyota 2007-2009 camry. This excessive oil consumption can happen at any mileage. Previous owners may or may not have experienced the problem or failed the test. This should have been a recall but was not. It is a $3K fix for piston/rings and value seals. RUN RUN RUN

E

Erockz

RUN from used Toyota 2007-2009 camry. This excessive oil consumption can happen at any mileage. Previous owners may or may not have experienced the problem or failed the test. This should have been a recall but was not. It is a $3K fix for piston/rings and value seals. RUN RUN RUN

its funny you say 2007 to 2009, that is the EXACT same years car complaints gives the camry AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE,

but every year after was made it to car complaints best cars list

but why did you not include 2010 and up? Was there something that was fixed? in 2010 that the adverage person doesnt know about.

also, I ask because I am about to spend over $8000 on a hybrid lexus hs250. I think it uses the 2010 camry engine, was there a difference between the 2009 and 2010?

I really dont want to but a lemon