Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

eyetavis

I guess I'm coming late to the party. I just found out about this the hard way at 149,000 miles. I never received a letter in the mail, my oil light never came on, and my car never made any noise, Smoke, or ran poorly. Does anyone have a copy of the letter that was sent out? Is there a VIN range that has been identified as having this problem? OishiiJPN i'll direct the question that you as the administrator, but I'll take responses from anyone. I'm in the middle of my oil consumption test now and I would really like to have more information before I bring it back to the dealer since I am hearing a lot of horror stories at this point.THANK YOU

Edit- specifically, I would really like to know what the Primary and secondary coverages are: how do they read, what are the differences, etc, etc.

Last edited:

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Letter-M.jpg

eyetavis

Thank you sir.
Unfortunately if that's all Toyota/Scion is sending, it does nothing to settle my fears. That letter still doesn't *explain* what the actual coverages are :-( I'm an insurance adjuster so I can understand coverages.
When my 1000 mile consumption test is completed (this weekend by the looks of it) I will be over 150K and this is my fear: I bring the car in, thy take it back to the garage, where I am not allowed to come because of "insurance regulations" and top off the oil, come out and tell me I'm not burning oil and oh-by-the-way you're now over the mileage limit and you're now screwed.

Well maybe a miracle will happen and I'll be proven wrong.

I hope so, otherwise you can be sure I'll be done with Toyota/Scion for good. This is so much garbage, it seems like everyone who has this engine is having the same problem but it's definitely not getting publicized and they're making you jump through hoops to prove that their product is malfunctioning. Hide and deny, going strong here.
This is making me sick, disgusted and pissed off. What a pain.

It absolutely boggles my mind that this has been a known condition for 4 years (TSB is dated 8/11) but even the people who have received this letter didn't get it till this year some time.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
When my 1000 mile consumption test is completed (this weekend by the looks of it) I will be over 150K and this is my fear: I bring the car in, thy take it back to the garage, where I am not allowed to come because of "insurance regulations"
Why can't you go back there to see them inspect the oil level? I know shops that do this all the time, just ask to be there. Heck, just have them check the oil level while on the service drive if you're that concerned. It's your car. ;)

Pimpleff

Quasi new to thread here.

Glad for this page as I have been wondering why my '07 TC had been consuming oil. I first noticed it a the winter before last. About 1k after an oil change there was like NO oil on the stick. I thought maybe the dealer oil sucked (which it does) so I bought better oil. Then this summer I changed my own oil and used full synthetic. Similar problem although it didn't eat the oil as fast. Fast forward a couple months. I find this page! Took car to dealer and they did the test. I noticed they used 5W-30 as opposed to 5W-20 which this model TC uses and they only put 4qts in. They usually do 5. Needless to say my car passed. I thought it'd fail. When I pointed out that they used 5W-30 they said "oh must've been a data entry error!!" Anyone else have this experience?
Another few days has gone by since starting to write this post. It has been about 1k miles since they refilled the reservoir and there's but a drop in the stick, smh. I put one quart in.
Fast forward another 1000 miles. No oil on the stick and oil light coming on. Will add 5 quarts. This is ridiculous. I smell fraud. So I dunno what recourse I have now. Spending 35 bucks on oil between oil changes doesn't make sense.

Patslife

The letter states "Once sufficient parts are produced, Toyota will send a second Owner notification letter informing them that they may seek part replacement if their vehicle has excessive engine oil consumption." When my I took my '07 Camry in for the test - and failed, naturally - the service manager stated they were submitting the results to Toyota and awaiting their instructions. This was in Ottawa (Mendes) back in June (2015.)

I read one or two posts suggesting that I should be harrassing the dealership to get this work done. Also, I saw a couple of references to them having to tear down the engine to find out the correct part (A, B or C)

My questions are:
Has anyone received the second notification letter? Or will this not happen without my badgering the dealership?
If I do get them to do the work before the secong notice, won't I have to be without my car while they order the correct parts after teardown?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
"Once sufficient parts are produced, Toyota will send a second Owner notification letter
Owners should not wait around for a second letter notification. I have rarely ever heard of an Owner actually getting a second letter. :eek:

I read one or two posts suggesting that I should be harrassing the dealership to get this work done.
I'm not sure that harassing the Dealer is a good idea but "staying in touch" with your Dealer on a weekly basis is. Here's how it should go, take the vehicle in for the test and get the results documented in a repair order. Keep that repair order(receipt) and the contact info of the Service Adviser that helped you. Stay in contact with him/her every 1-2 weeks.

I saw a couple of references to them having to tear down the engine to find out the correct part (A, B or C)
If I do get them to do the work before the second notice, won't I have to be without my car while they order the correct parts after teardown?
Yes the engine will have to be torn down and inspected to see which pistons are installed on your engine (A,B or C). While this process is taking place (i.e. the teardown, waiting on parts and the repair itself) Toyota will pay for a rental car. We have seen some customers in a rental for well over a month.

Josh Green

Toyota will pay for a rental car. We have seen some customers in a rental for well over a month.

Nobody in one for 2 months yet? lol. 4.5 months for me today. I just got a call yesterday from my dealership telling me the parts needed for my car are in and they're proceeding with repairs. They're supposed to be done today but so far, I've heard nothing and it's already 4 p.m. here.

osmiaj00

I have a 2006 Rav4 diagnosed in June 2015 for excessive oil consumption. Scheduled first repair date Mid-August 2015. Went to the dealer got a rental expecting engine rebuild called later in the day no parts. Drove back and rescheduled for mid-October 2015. Service rep suggested calling prior to repair to ensure parts are available. In the interim, I did receive a second later from Toyota so I was optimistic repair work would be done. No such luck parts still on back order my new hopeful repair date is mid-December 2015. Has anyone had a Rav4 engine rebuilt recently?

osmiaj00

There are two "parts" involved with this repair. The first is the head gasket set, which contains everything but the pistons, and then there are the pistons themselves. These can't be ordered till the engine has been torn down.
I am under the impression that that the first set of parts are available, since the dealership has not stated the repair work. Either way my original question, has anyone had a RAV4 engine rebuilt?

Joshua Silva

I am under the impression that that the first set of parts are available, since the dealership has not stated the repair work. Either way my original question, has anyone had a RAV4 engine rebuilt?

The Rav4 shares the same exact engine as the scion tc, scion xb , Camry and a couple other vehicles and yes I'm sure people have had them re built, no one on here can tell you when the parts are available you have to call the dealership.

osmiaj00

I guess my question to the moderator's is "are these parts on backorder throughout the country."

Since June I have been back to my dealership twice for repairs other than engine rebuild, and a both times told "parts for engine rebuild are still on back order."

I know I am in the dealers queue for a rebuild just trying to get a sense as to when. As of now, my new date is maybe Dec.14th 2015. My initial date was August 17th 2015 and a secondary date of Oct 19 2015 (today).

Maddison

I own a 2008 Scion TC I bought new and have always had issues with my car consuming oil like crazy, my dad would make me keep at least 2 extra quarts in my car at all times because I need to top it off so frequently. I have even started using 5w-30 instead to help with the issue. I did receive the warranty enhancement letter for my car and have tried to get 2 different Toyota dealerships in the Houston, Texas area (Autonation Toyota Scion & Star Toyota Scion) to perform the oil consumption test for my car, but both dealerships would not perform the test at all unless I first "fixed" several things on my car that were possible causes of the excessive oil consumption. Both dealerships told me completely different things that were supposedly wrong with my car one of which was that the seal was leaking, anyways my dad is a mechanical engineer and knows how to work on cars, engines, ecetera... He completely cleaned the engine and thoroughly checked all the problems I was told needed repair to find none to be true. The repair costs that they told me I would have to have done before being even eligible for the test totaled from $3500 to $5000!! The car isn't even worth it if that's the case! What should I do now?

Jarrod

I seem to be in an endless loop with my dealership. My xB failed the consumption test sometime in April. They told me to go home and wait for a letter stating the parts would be available in mid-May. I've called several times and they always say 'the parts are on back order we can't do anything.'

After looking around here I call the dealership and speak with the service manager. He reiterates there aren't parts available and suggests I call Scion Customer Care. So I do and they say parts are available in limited quantities and I need to speak with someone in customer service at the dealership. I called back to the dealership and spoke with someone else who gave me the same line of we can't do anything.

Can they even order the parts without having my engine apart to see the piston size?

Because what they're saying sounds like they're waiting for parts to show up at their dealership. Which will never happen because they haven't ordered parts.