Scion FR-S Owners Claim a Recall Fix Is Destroying Their Engines

BGroot

Usually when you take your car into the dealership for a safety recall, it comes out the other side of the shop imperceptibly better and safer than before. These are essentially mechanical firmware updates. It's theoretically one of the least risky things you could do to a vehicle—and at the end of the day, it's mandated by law. Yet for a growing number of Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ owners, it also appears to be destroying their engines.

Over the last few weeks, forums and social media have lit up with complaints that a recent recall to fix a valve spring issue the 2.0-liter flat-four engine found 400,000 Subaru's and Scions is actually causing more harm than the original issue itself. This is not a simple procedure; it takes around 12 hours and requires the engine to be removed from the car and torn apart. The question is whether dealership techs—specifically, Toyota dealership techs, as we'll detail here—are botching the job due to incomplete guidance, inexperience, or both.

We've contacted Toyota for a statement and... READ MORE HERE

Lewis

Staff member
The Recall info can be found here...

One thing that I have seen is that there is either FIPG left over in or too much added upon resealing at the far outer front cover holes...

If this happens, then it tends to pop out a small ingot from the head....

On the drivers side, the problem will occur outside the valve cover and look like this...

On the Passenger side, the fragment will come out inside the valve cover near the valve springs that were just installed. The best case scenario is that nothing will happen but it could pop a hole in the valve cover or worse... :eek:

MG

The first video in Lewis' post was taken down by the user who was a Toyota Tech. I'm guessing that Toyota and/or his Dealer had a "talk" with him and made him delete it. I have seen this quite a few times happen. I wouldnt be surprised if the second one also gets taken down when Toyota sees it.

What they cant control is when customers take their own videos and post them. Here is one customer that had the J02 recall fail and he went to the dealer to take pics and a video to document the breakdown....

Lewis

Staff member
A few other things we are seeing is that techs that aren't careful may break one of the VVTi actuators. Usually the ones on the drivers side....

also have seen the valve issue....

and things left behind....

T

Terri Powell

And we have another 2013 scion down after the recall"fix" Toyota will not take responsibility. They need a recall on the recall. Any information you can share on how to resolve this would be appreciated

E

Eric Hollo

Here in Toronto FRS's are also blowing up. The dealership blames Toyota, Toyota blames the dealership nobody will take responsibility. My dealership agreed to replace bearings but Toyota will not replace the short block. To add insult the new parts distribution has my 2013 waiting now over 4 weeks for parts, Toyota Canada will not comment and reviews issues on a case to case basis, apparently my case is not important. Toyota car, Toyota recall, not Toyota's problem, but they will admit there are other cases where after the recall the engines have seized. They know a huge problem exists but will not give in.