1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

Toyota 2ZR-FE Timing Chain Marks 1.8L

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Lewis, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Staff Member

The problem most people run into with these timing chains on these 2ZR engines is that there are no marks to use as a reference other than the marks on the VVT-I gears and the marks on the chain.

Here are some pics of the timing chain set up at TDC. If you pay close attention to the background, you should be able to determine where the marks should line up even if the timing chain marks aren't lining up.

TDC...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Intake VVT-i Gear Marks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Exhaust VVT-i Gear Marks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grcthird

grcthird New Member

Good info here! I am working on one (10 Corolla 204k miles) that the chain broke on while cruising on the interstate. I could not find any info about this being an interference engine or not. Come to find out it is, bent the valves and actually they nicked the top of the cylinders.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Lewis likes this.
  3. grcthird

grcthird New Member

[​IMG]

Lewis likes this.
  4. Lewis

Wow! 204K on a 2010, must be used as a daily driver...

5. grcthird

grcthird New Member

Yep, daily beater at this point. Another silly side note, this engine can be removed/installed from the top! (Repair manual says drop subframe and remove it from the bottom.) Balancer, oil filter adapter, and water pump must be removed and the trans mounts taken loose. Would probably be easier on an automatic as the clutch sticks out further than just a flexplate would.

6. Lewis

I've done a few of these and it is easier to pull it one out the top, especially if it's an automatic.

Who reads the repair manual? ;)