M

MattG

I'm being funny because I know how far SC is from MN, but if you brought it up to the dealership near me they could have the estimate and claim approved in 24 hours with Toyota now. I was the guinea pig who spent 6 months working on this. The body shop is two blocks away also.

O

Owen Fox

To: All Toyota Dealer Principals, General Managers, Service Managers, and Parts Managers

CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM ZKG

Phase 2 - Customer Renotification and Repair Phase Repair is Now Available

Multiple Models and Model Years Vehicles Painted with Blizzard Pearl (070) or Super White (040) Paint Color Coverage for Peeling of Factory-Applied Paint

i-VrK6rgm-M.jpg

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for peeling of certain colors of factory-applied paint.

Background:
Toyota has received reports of paint peeling on certain vehicles with the original factory-applied Blizzard Pearl or Super White paint colors. These reports indicate that vehicles with these specific paint colors, applied during the vehicle manufacturing process, may experience paint peeling on exterior metal body panels.

Although the original factory paint is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the condition described above.

The following information is provided to inform you and your staff of the program notification schedule and your degree of involvement.

Customer Support Program Coverage Details:
This Customer Support Program provides coverage for involved vehicles with the original factory Blizzard Pearl or Super White paint. The covered condition may occur when sunlight over time degrades the adhesion between the factory-applied paint primer coat layer and the base metal electrodeposition layer causing the paint to peel from the metal body panel. If the condition is verified, the specific panel affected will be repainted.

• The Primary Coverage will be offered until December 11, 2022, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage

Note:

Damage to the vehicle exterior (such as collision damage, deep scratches, dents, etc..) may prevent a repair facility from performing the paint repair covered by this Customer Support Program.

This Customer Support Program does not cover repair of such damage. If any damage must be repaired prior to performing the paint repair covered by this Customer Support Program, the dealer may offer to repair the damage at the customer’s expense.

Examples of damage that might prevent paint repair are:
• Collision damage
• Dents
• Deep scratches
• Deep rock chips

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 1,738,940 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. There are approximately 29,200 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program that were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Program Phase Schedule:
In early August 2019, Toyota announced the “Customer Notification Phase” of this program. Toyota is now launching the repair portion of this program.

Phase 1 – Customer Notification In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota first notified owners via first class mail between late August 2019 and mid-September 2019 about this program, provided a process for reimbursing out of pocket expenses associated with this condition incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and informed owners that Toyota is working on the repair for their vehicle.

Phase 2 – Repair Available and Customer Re-notification In early August 2019, Toyota announced the “Customer Notification Phase” of this program. Toyota is now launching the repair portion of this program.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota first notified owners via first class mail between late August 2019 and mid-September 2019 about this program, provided a process for reimbursing out of pocket expenses associated with this condition incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and informed owners that Toyota is working on the repair for their vehicle.

Toyota will now re-notify owners by first class mail regarding the availability of the repair phase starting in mid-December 2019

Phase 2 – Customer Renotification and Repair Phase Repair is Now Available
Multiple Models and Model Years Vehicles Painted with Blizzard Pearl (070) or Super White (040) Paint Color Coverage for Peeling of Factory-Applied Paint

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

Toyota has received reports of paint peeling on certain vehicles with the original factory-applied Blizzard Pearl or Super White paint colors. These reports indicate that vehicles with these specific paint colors, applied during the vehicle manufacturing process, may experience paint peeling on exterior metal body panels.

What specific paint colors are affected by this condition?
The vehicles involved in this program were factory-painted with Blizzard Pearl (Toyota paint code 070) or Super White (Toyota paint code 040) paint color.

What is Toyota going to do?
In early August 2019, Toyota announced the “Customer Notification Phase” of this program. Toyota is now launching the repair portion of this program

How will owners be re-notified that the repair is available for their vehicle?
In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota first notified owners via first class mail between late August 2019 and mid-September 2019 about this program, provided a process for reimbursing out of pocket expenses associated with this condition incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and informed owners that Toyota is working on the repair for their vehicle. Toyota will now re-notify owners by first class mail regarding the availability of the repair phase starting in mid-December 2019.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Customer Support Program?
There are approximately 1,738,940 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program.

What are the coverage details of this program?
This Customer Support Program provides coverage for involved vehicles with the original factory Blizzard Pearl or Super White paint. The covered condition may occur when sunlight over time degrades the adhesion between the factory-applied paint primer coat layer and the base metal electrodeposition layer causing the paint to peel from the metal body panel. If the condition is verified, the specific panel affected will be repainted.

• The Primary Coverage will be offered until December 11, 2022, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage.

Note: Damage to the vehicle exterior (such as collision damage, deep scratches, dents, etc..) may prevent a repair facility from performing the paint repair covered by this Customer Support Program.

This Customer Support Program does not cover repair of such damage.

• Collision damage
• Dents
• Deep scratches
• Deep rock chips

What if my vehicle’s paint is peeling from this condition, but my vehicle has damage that requires repair prior to repairing the peeling condition?
This Customer Support Program only provides the coverage described above. This program does not cover the repair of damage (e.g. collision damage, dents, etc..) which may be required to complete the Customer Support Program repair. Some dealers may be willing to repair damage needed to complete this Customer Support Program. If your dealer is willing to do so, you will be responsible for any costs associated with the damage repair. If you elect not to repair the damage, the dealer may indicate that they are not able to complete the Customer Support Program repair.

What should I do if the factory-applied Blizzard Pearl or Super White paint is currently peeling from this condition?
If an owner thinks that he/she has experienced the condition described in this Customer Support Program, a local Toyota dealer should be contacted for appropriate diagnosis and repair. If the condition is verified as being in accordance with the terms of the program, the repair will be performed FREE OF CHARGE to the owner.

What if the diagnosis is performed and my vehicle is not covered by the Customer Support Program?
Please be aware that, if the condition is not covered by this Customer Support Program, you may be responsible for the initial diagnostic fees and any other repairs you may decide to have performed. Any authorized Toyota Dealership can determine if a condition is covered by this Customer Support Program.

What if an owner HAS NOT experienced this condition but would like to have the repair completed?
This Customer Support Program only applies to vehicles that have exhibited the condition described above. If an owner has not experienced the condition, he/she is asked to tear off the sheet included in the owner letter and insert it into the Owner’s Warranty Information Booklet for future reference.

Do I need to wait until I receive an owner notification letter before visiting a dealer to receive a repair?
No. you may visit any authorized Toyota dealer for diagnosis if your vehicle is exhibiting the condition and, if applicable, repair.

Can I be reimbursed if I previously paid for repairs related to factory-applied paint peeling from my vehicle due to this condition?
Customers who have already paid for repairs related to this condition may qualify for reimbursement of some, or all, of their out of pocket costs. The expense must have been incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and sufficient documentation submitted, to qualify for reimbursement. Toyota will not reimburse for out of pocket costs incurred after September 26, 2019. Customer reimbursement instructions will be included in the owner letter.

Which factory-applied paints are covered by this Customer Support Program?
The factory-applied Blizzard Pearl (Toyota paint code 070) and Super White (Toyota paint code 040) paint on the vehicle’s exterior metal body panels are covered by this program.

Is the paint on plastic body panels covered by this Customer Support Program?
Factory-applied paint on plastic body panels (for example: a plastic bumper cover) is not covered. Only factory-applied Blizzard Pearl (Toyota paint code 070) and Super White (Toyota paint code 040) paint on the vehicle’s exterior metal body panels are covered by this program. Plastic body panels are not covered by this program because plastic body panels do not have a base metal electrodeposition layer and are; therefore, not affected.

How long will the repair take?
Depending upon the location and extent of the peeling condition on your vehicle, the repair time for your vehicle can vary (for example: between approximately 1 day and 2 weeks). Once the peeling condition covered by this program has been verified on your vehicle, your authorized Toyota dealer will advise you about the necessary repair time. If the repair is estimated to exceed 4 hours, a loaner vehicle may be provided for the period that your vehicle is undergoing repair

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time

O

Owen Fox

I'm being funny because I know how far SC is from MN, but if you brought it up to the dealership near me they could have the estimate and claim approved in 24 hours with Toyota now. I was the guinea pig who spent 6 months working on this. The body shop is two blocks away also.
I have the same problem and have been trying to get Toyota to fix it for over three months now through Sports City Toyota in Dallas tx. They have been nothing but terrible to do business with. I have called the Toyota national complaint department four times about Sports Toyota with no results. I purchased the car from them but would never do so again or recommend them to anyone. I am going to try a different dealer but if they cannot get the problem corrected Toyota will loose a customer that has bought numerous cars from them in the past thirty plus years.
Think twice before using Sports City Toyota in Dallas Tx for anything.
The most mismanaged place in the country.

C

casper

I own a 2016 corolla s-plus super white, and had peeling paint! I actually had posted pictures of my car on a social media website, under a local TOYOTA dealerships ad. I had all but forgotten about posting the pics, when I received a very professional courtesy call from my local Toyota dealership, they asked me about my paint, and asked if I could bring my corolla to the dealership body shop so they could inspect it, and get an estimate.

A very few days later the guy from the dealership called and said he had gotten the repaint approved through TOYOTA , and they would repaint my entire car. they will not repaint the bumper covers. but mine were in great condition anyways. I have to say for what they had to do to repaint it, I expected it to take a lot longer , but they called me about a week and a half if that, after I dropped my car off and said my car was ready.

They even had my car detailed, and buffed. my 2016 corolla s-plus looks awesome. good looking car with brand new paint all over. looks brand new again. THANKS VERY MUCH, TOYOTA !! you have a loyal lifetime customer here !! we actually own 5 toyotas' and 1 scion !! great vehicles

K

K Redfish

My 2010 Toyota Prius IV has this same issue. Blizzard Pearl (070) peeling off in sheets! There is OBVIOUSLY a defect with the paint adhering to the primer but whether it is a product or process defect, Toyota needs to step up and resolve it. The Prius was one of the very few models excluded in the recall, but it is OBVIOUSLY the same issue! Prius owners should let their voice be heard LOUD AND CLEAR!

M

M. Brothers

To: All Toyota Dealer Principals, General Managers, Service Managers, and Parts Managers

i-VrK6rgm-M.jpg

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for peeling of certain colors of factory-applied paint.

Background:

Although the original factory paint is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the condition described above.

The following information is provided to inform you and your staff of the program notification schedule and your degree of involvement.

• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage

Note:

Damage to the vehicle exterior (such as collision damage, deep scratches, dents, etc..) may prevent a repair facility from performing the paint repair covered by this Customer Support Program.

This Customer Support Program does not cover repair of such damage. If any damage must be repaired prior to performing the paint repair covered by this Customer Support Program, the dealer may offer to repair the damage at the customer’s expense.

• Collision damage
• Dents
• Deep scratches
• Deep rock chips

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 1,738,940 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. There are approximately 29,200 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program that were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Program Phase Schedule:
In early August 2019, Toyota announced the “Customer Notification Phase” of this program. Toyota is now launching the repair portion of this program.

Phase 1 – Customer Notification In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota first notified owners via first class mail between late August 2019 and mid-September 2019 about this program, provided a process for reimbursing out of pocket expenses associated with this condition incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and informed owners that Toyota is working on the repair for their vehicle.

Phase 2 – Repair Available and Customer Re-notification In early August 2019, Toyota announced the “Customer Notification Phase” of this program. Toyota is now launching the repair portion of this program.

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota first notified owners via first class mail between late August 2019 and mid-September 2019 about this program, provided a process for reimbursing out of pocket expenses associated with this condition incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and informed owners that Toyota is working on the repair for their vehicle.

Toyota will now re-notify owners by first class mail regarding the availability of the repair phase starting in mid-December 2019

What is the condition?

The vehicles involved in this program were factory-painted with Blizzard Pearl (Toyota paint code 070) or Super White (Toyota paint code 040) paint color.

In early August 2019, Toyota announced the “Customer Notification Phase” of this program. Toyota is now launching the repair portion of this program

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota first notified owners via first class mail between late August 2019 and mid-September 2019 about this program, provided a process for reimbursing out of pocket expenses associated with this condition incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and informed owners that Toyota is working on the repair for their vehicle. Toyota will now re-notify owners by first class mail regarding the availability of the repair phase starting in mid-December 2019.

There are approximately 1,738,940 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program.

• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage.

Note: Damage to the vehicle exterior (such as collision damage, deep scratches, dents, etc..) may prevent a repair facility from performing the paint repair covered by this Customer Support Program.

• Collision damage
• Dents
• Deep scratches
• Deep rock chips

What if my vehicle’s paint is peeling from this condition, but my vehicle has damage that requires repair prior to repairing the peeling condition?
This Customer Support Program only provides the coverage described above. This program does not cover the repair of damage (e.g. collision damage, dents, etc..) which may be required to complete the Customer Support Program repair. Some dealers may be willing to repair damage needed to complete this Customer Support Program. If your dealer is willing to do so, you will be responsible for any costs associated with the damage repair. If you elect not to repair the damage, the dealer may indicate that they are not able to complete the Customer Support Program repair.

What should I do if the factory-applied Blizzard Pearl or Super White paint is currently peeling from this condition?
If an owner thinks that he/she has experienced the condition described in this Customer Support Program, a local Toyota dealer should be contacted for appropriate diagnosis and repair. If the condition is verified as being in accordance with the terms of the program, the repair will be performed FREE OF CHARGE to the owner.

What if the diagnosis is performed and my vehicle is not covered by the Customer Support Program?
Please be aware that, if the condition is not covered by this Customer Support Program, you may be responsible for the initial diagnostic fees and any other repairs you may decide to have performed. Any authorized Toyota Dealership can determine if a condition is covered by this Customer Support Program.

What if an owner HAS NOT experienced this condition but would like to have the repair completed?
This Customer Support Program only applies to vehicles that have exhibited the condition described above. If an owner has not experienced the condition, he/she is asked to tear off the sheet included in the owner letter and insert it into the Owner’s Warranty Information Booklet for future reference.

Do I need to wait until I receive an owner notification letter before visiting a dealer to receive a repair?
No. you may visit any authorized Toyota dealer for diagnosis if your vehicle is exhibiting the condition and, if applicable, repair.

Can I be reimbursed if I previously paid for repairs related to factory-applied paint peeling from my vehicle due to this condition?
Customers who have already paid for repairs related to this condition may qualify for reimbursement of some, or all, of their out of pocket costs. The expense must have been incurred prior to September 26, 2019, and sufficient documentation submitted, to qualify for reimbursement. Toyota will not reimburse for out of pocket costs incurred after September 26, 2019. Customer reimbursement instructions will be included in the owner letter.

The factory-applied Blizzard Pearl (Toyota paint code 070) and Super White (Toyota paint code 040) paint on the vehicle’s exterior metal body panels are covered by this program.

Factory-applied paint on plastic body panels (for example: a plastic bumper cover) is not covered. Only factory-applied Blizzard Pearl (Toyota paint code 070) and Super White (Toyota paint code 040) paint on the vehicle’s exterior metal body panels are covered by this program. Plastic body panels are not covered by this program because plastic body panels do not have a base metal electrodeposition layer and are; therefore, not affected.

Depending upon the location and extent of the peeling condition on your vehicle, the repair time for your vehicle can vary (for example: between approximately 1 day and 2 weeks). Once the peeling condition covered by this program has been verified on your vehicle, your authorized Toyota dealer will advise you about the necessary repair time. If the repair is estimated to exceed 4 hours, a loaner vehicle may be provided for the period that your vehicle is undergoing repair

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time
I attempted to call but the line hung up. I received the first letter about the recall. I am attempting to figure out when this can be fixed and if my car is covered.

T

tciani

I have a 2020 Toyota Corolla. I bought it in October of 2019 and now, a few months after the purchase I am starting to see problems with the paint. It is super white 040 and I called Toyota Nation in Las Vegas Nevada where I purchased my car and they sent me to their collision center to inspect the paint. Over there, they said they could not do a thing about. They refer me to the dealership. in fact, they called the dealership and the dealership did not want to take any responsibility. The gentleman at the collision center told me to just wait for a recall. I called the dealership to get some action on fixing the paint spots, but the man who answered did not know who to transfer me to that he disconnected my call. Angry customer! What should I do! And where I need to call to get some action??? Tciani

OishiiJPN

Staff member
What should I do! And where I need to call to get some action??? Tciani

G

Gus

I own a 2012 Toyota Sequoia with the same Blizzard Pearl paint, the paint has been peeling off horribly in the last three years. Toyota refuses to acknowledge that Sequoias are also victims of this poor paintwork. I just got off the phone with TCS and they just basically said "they didn't care", the vehicle is out of warranty, sorry if you thought that investing over 50k in Toyota was a smart decision, think best the next time you buy a car. what a shame! it used to be a good car manufacturer. I feel sorry for those that work there every day answering their phones and having to lie to us all, the paintwork from Toyota is inferior quality! Buyers beware, put your money elsewhere!

E

Elise

I just had my 2011 Blizzard Pearl RAV4 repainted. I was also able to get about $1200 in previous repainting costs reimbursed. I'm glad Toyota is finally doing something about this, but I am also pretty disappointed at how limited the repainting is. I don't understand why they wouldn't repaint the whole car if it is a known issue, and I am worried that parts they did not repaint will eventually start to chip too. I am also upset that they refused to repaint the front of my hood, which has significantly more rock chips than it should, likely because of the paint issue (my car mechanic friend said that if the original paint job was sufficient, I should definitely not have that much chipping). Oh well.

B

Bob Greene

i-VrK6rgm-M.jpg

Background:

Note:

• Collision damage
• Dents
• Deep scratches
• Deep rock chips

Covered Vehicles:

Program Phase Schedule:

What is the condition?

• Collision damage
• Dents
• Deep scratches
• Deep rock chips

I have the same problem with this paint on my Sequoia as do many others if you look at various message boards. Why is it not included in this campaign? Do I need to get an attorney and file a class action?

S

Stuart

I recently bought a used Camry XLE with Super White paint. I haven't had any paint "peeling off in sheets" anywhere, but for a 2014.5 car the paint has not held up well at all. Severely faded to the point that it looked like a matte finish. A detail shop was able to buff it and polish it up, but I'm convinced this Super White paint is just trash. My 93 pickup hasn't been waxed in two decades and has a shinier coat on it. Do you think there is any chance Toyota would repaint this, or do I have to wait for sheets of paint to flake off?

K

Kilgore T.

I recently bought a used Camry XLE with Super White paint. I haven't had any paint "peeling off in sheets" anywhere, but for a 2014.5 car the paint has not held up well at all. Severely faded to the point that it looked like a matte finish. A detail shop was able to buff it and polish it up, but I'm convinced this Super White paint is just trash. My 93 pickup hasn't been waxed in two decades and has a shinier coat on it. Do you think there is any chance Toyota would repaint this, or do I have to wait for sheets of paint to flake off?
Perhaps it has already been repainted with Earl Scheib paint by Toyota or the previous owner. That would remove your eligibility, either way.

S

Stephanie T.

I have a 2016 Sequoia with Blizzard Pearl paint that is peeling, it was bought new at Toyota Clearwater dealership.
Toyota extends paint warranty to 14 years for vehicles with factory applied Blizzard Pearl paint that is peeling.
Why is the Toyota Sequoia excluded from the list of models that qualify for repair?

P

Paul L. (Texas)

All they need to do when they look at your vehicle....and IF they find ONE rock chip, that VOIDS the service issue!

Can anyone imagine...HOW they can reprogram the vehicle's software to be on the lookout for "incoming rocks" and to take whatever evasive actions to steer the vehicle around the airborne rock so that the vehicle's paint won't sustain a hit? :)

B

Brandon Holt

My 2016 Tacoma in super white is peeling, the inside of both fenders under the hood is flaking off. Please create a recall for this issue there have been many people complaining about the paint peeling on all the Tacoma groups on Facebook. You wouldn’t want everyone to think Toyota is not a quality brand like it once was right?
My 2016 Tacoma is doing the same thing. My local Toyota dealership told me it’s not on the recall list. I said it’s the same color code with the same problem, they still wouldn’t fix it. I’ll never buy another Toyota again. I took my 2019 F150 to Ford for some paint peeling and they never asked a question.

B

Brandon Holt

Just curious when the 2016 White Tacoma’s will be covered? My paint has continued to peel on the passenger side between the fender and hood.

K

Kevin Boswell

I am experiencing the same problem on my 2009 Prius. Same paint code (040- Super White) and have been to several dealers to get this fixed- meanwhile it continues to get worse. Toytoa is being selective on what models are covered, despite the fact that clearly many more were impacted by poor painting procedures. That said, I have had other issues with the Prius and Toyota being unwilling to address the problem despite having a program in place to address the known issue- Failed MFD in Prius. Mine died and while Toyota had a program to replace defective components, it was concluded and now those customers with failed devices are looking at minimum $500 dollar repair.

Toyota service and quality is declining and as a customer with three Toyota vehicles in my household, I am seriously considering a transition to a new automaker.