Excessive Oil Consumption on 2AZ-FE Engine LSC ZE7

K

kenny

quick question for those who had their engine fixed under this recall

if you get water pump replaced as part of this work, do you pay only labor or they do charge about an hour of labor because water pump does not have to be taken off in RAV4 otherwise?

Readin this and other forums seem to indicate that labor will not be charged. But my dealer insistes on 45 min of labor.

Thanks for your input.

newmanfan1

I had my water pump replaced when they did mine, and they charged me 30 mins labor for it. So it depends on dealer. I know I negotiated the thermostat and they gave me that at part cost.

J

jim (Dimitri)

No warning light and my 2007 camry engine seized due to no oil in June 2016, during phase one of the oil consumption test! I baby'd this car for the past 6 years carrying quarts of oil in the trunk, adding oil all the time and now Toyota refuses to compensate or fix it due to insufficient repair records for 2015 -2016 due to my taking it to mom and pop shops for oil changes recently and not saving receipts. I have records from 2011 to 2014 which show that oil consumption was 3.5 quarts and above within 2000 miles the later years.
Has any one gone to small claims and beat either Toyota or their dealers? I live month to month trying to pay bills, tuitions and a mortgage, I planned to drive this car to 200k miles and no more payments for the next five years.
I don't know what to do, can any one help me get my car fixed or at least get what it's worth so I can buy a used junk box car with no payments?

Jim (Dimitri)

C

Chasso57

The local dealer is no help, they want money and a lot of it to investigate it. The last conversation he had with them they wanted receipts of any oil he had purchased to top off his oil level. He has a case number. He is young and uninformed which is why I have taken this over. I am calling Scion in the AM to try and reach a solution without need of legal counsel.
I just had similar experience. Did you ever get Toyota to replace your engine under warranty?

C

Carlos

Have a question... will they still do the excessive oil consumption test and repairs if the car is modded? Nothin crazy just bolt ons. CAI, header, exhaust system, etc...

C

Chasso57

Have a question... will they still do the excessive oil consumption test and repairs if the car is modded? Nothin crazy just bolt ons. CAI, header, exhaust system, etc...
I don't know about that. They did not offer. I will ask them, after I look up "modded".

N

New001

Hi all,

I appreciate the valuable information on this thread.
My 2009 scion TC with 94,000 miles had this issues. Took it to the dealer and failed the test. Two months later the parts came in and my car went in for repair.

The dealer just called me and said they recommend changing the valve seals. He said they normally charge $2400 but if I did it now that the engine is apart they will charge me $900. Is this a reasonable price or am I being taken advantage off?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Hi all,

I appreciate the valuable information on this thread.
My 2009 scion TC with 94,000 miles had this issues. Took it to the dealer and failed the test. Two months later the parts came in and my car went in for repair.

The dealer just called me and said they recommend changing the valve seals. He said they normally charge $2400 but if I did it now that the engine is apart they will charge me $900. Is this a reasonable price or am I being taken advantage off?
That is absolutely not reasonable at all.:mad: A machine shop will rework the head (including adjusting the valves as well as valve stem seals for about $450. Do you know any machine shops in your area? Give them a call and ask them how much to rework a head. It's gonna be a lot less than $900!

N

New001

That is absolutely not reasonable at all.:mad: A machine shop will rework the head (including adjusting the valves as well as valve stem seals for about $450. Do you know any machine shops in your area? Give them a call and ask them how much to rework a head. It's gonna be a lot less than $900!

I feel robbed now. They charged me about $680 labor and about $180 parts. They charged me 5 hours of labor and when I questioned them, he showed me on his computer the regular hours required for that job was 25 hours and it came out to be about $3500. They charged me $5 for the loaner...they gave it to me with 1/4 tank and said the 5$ was so that I didn't have to fill the tank when returning...what they expected me to drive 4 days in 1/4 tank? Of course I returned it with half tank. Over all this experience felt awful.

C

Chasso57

I replied to your suggestion once and don't know how to tack on to it...The engine has a hole in the block and I can see part of a ring laying next to the hole. I'm guessing that an oil consumption test is no longer an option?

G

GiGi

09 Camry failed consumption test Oct. 15, 15 at 93,000 miles. Still no parts, still no time frame of when car will be repaired. The dealership can't even tell me what number I am on the list, and I have never even been contacted by the dealership. I am always the one who has to reach out. Only to be told the same thing month after month. I did call 1-800-331-4331 as suggested on another post. However that was no help either. So......

S

Smoot

We went in March and took the test.We failed of course and was put on the list.I just called the dealership a few minutes ago to see where we were on the list and was told to expect to wait AT LEAST another 6 months.He told me that they haven't even finished up on an engine rebuild they started last January due to not having the parts.Maybe Toyota hopes we get tired of waiting and just sell our vehicles.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. We are sorry to hear that your experiences with this warranty extension is going poorly but thanks for posting the information as it helps all Toyota Owners.

Z

zpowell83

I was driving my 2007 Rav4 and a whole bunch of warning lights just came on. I experienced a loss of power and the car starts stalling and died. I got it towed to the closest repair shop. They said I only had a quart of oil in the engine. I also had a 3rd party extended warranty. They said that I had engine failure due to the little amount of oil that I had. I get my oil changes regularly and the sticker in the windshield will say that. The warranty company had to take my engine apart to see if it was covered and they said due to the little amount of oil that it would not be covered. This is the number one problem for 2007 Toyota Rav 4s so I would like to know what I am supposed to do. I can't afford to buy a new car because I'm still paying this one off and it's going to cost me 6600 to get a used engine and install it. What do I do?

J

Jacqueline

This is sad because my engine just went. It sounds as if I have someone hammering it's way out of my engine. I must say I am very disappointed with Toyota. We have always used Toyota but I am thinking of my future purchase and I can't say at this time Toyota is on the list. Any advice for replacing g my engine

M

Marita

I'm currently having a problem where after the engine was disassembled the cam shaft was found to have a crack. This is going to require the cam shaft, gear and bearings be replaced at a cost of around $1500 that Toyota is telling me I have to pay out of pocket. This is after calling customer care and given a case number. Their explanation is the warranty does not cover these parts. For me this is not normal wear and tear and I expressed that they should take some responsibility for it. So far not good.

Hi Don, My car seems to have run the same path as yours. It has been at Toyota Service for over a month now and I haven't received a straight diagnosis from the manager. Can you tell me if your situation was resolved?

B

Billy Stone

I have an 07 Camry that puffs a big cloud of blue smoke every morning to greet my neighbors. Do you know how embarrassing that is when you've been a proud Toyota owner since 1991? What to do. Toyota tested it and said it was just under the 1 qt minimum of 1000 miles. I saw the dipstick and it looked a quart low to me. I think I smell a rat.