2010-2012 Prius Sticking Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Warranty Extension ZF3

OishiiJPN

Staff member
126570_EGR_extended_warranty.jpg

Subject:
Warranty Enhancement Program ZF3
2010-2012 Prius
2012 Prius V
2010 and 2012 Prius Plug-In
Extension of Warranty Coverage for Sticking Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve

In our continuing efforts to help ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a
Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for a sticking EGR Valve on Certain
2010-2012 Prius, 2012 Prius V, and Certain 2010 and 2012 Prius Plug-In vehicles.

In these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports of a rough idle and/or rattle noise from the transaxle at
cold start due to a sticking Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve. If this occurs, the vehicle may illuminate
the check engine light and set diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0401.

Although the EGR Valve is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles
(whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers ownership experience. Toyota is now
extending the warranty coverage for repairs related to the EGR Valve to address the condition described
above.

Owner Notification Mailing Date
The owner notification will commence in Late June, 2016 and will be mailed over 3 months.

Warranty Enhancement Program Details
This Warranty Enhancement Program provides a Primary and Secondary coverage extension to the
vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Warranty” for a rough idle and/or rattle noise from the transaxle at
cold start due to a sticking Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve. If the condition is verified, the
vehicle will be repaired in accordance with the applicable Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 0027-16) under the
terms of this Warranty Enhancement Program.

• The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until March 31, 2017 with no mileage
limitation.

• After the Primary Coverage period ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years
from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Number of Vehicles Covered
There are approximately 517,900 vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?
In these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports of a rough idle and/or rattle noise from the
transaxle at cold start due to a sticking Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve. If this occurs, the
vehicle may illuminate the check engine light and set diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0401.

What is the cause of this condition?
This condition is caused by excess carbon build up in the EGR Valve assembly.

What is Toyota going to do?
Owners of vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program will receive an Owner Letter via
first class mail starting in late June, 2016.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, he/she should contact a local Authorized
Toyota dealership for verification and repair. If the condition is covered by the terms of this warranty
enhancement program, the repair will be performed at no charge.

Are there any other Toyota, Lexus or Scion vehicles covered by this Warranty
Enhancement Program?

Yes, there are approximately 28,600 (Certain 2011-2012 MY) CT200h vehicles covered by this
Warranty Enhancement Program.

Which parts are covered by this warranty enhancement program?
The specific components(s) covered by this warranty extensions are as follows:
• Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
• Engine Control Software Update

What if an owner has additional questions or concerns?
Owners with questions or concerns are asked to please contact the Toyota Customer Experience
Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday 7:00 am to 4:00
pm Pacific Time

L

Liah

With my 2010 Prius Toyota is refusing to cover all related repairs to the broken EGR valve under the extended warranty. They refuse to cover:

EGR cooler -- needs to be replaced due to excess carbon build-up
Intake Manifold -- EGR ports clogged need to be replaced to avoid misfires.
And spark plugs (I'm not sure if these are related)

The dealer is charging me $1700 out of pocket, and Toyota is paying for the EGR valve itself only.

I am battling this with Toyota, because they themselves admit that the valve is stuck open BECAUSE of the carbon build-up. And it seems the EGR ports clogging would be part of the same condition.

Has anyone else had this issue with Toyota?

Thanks!

L

Louie Rodriguez

What a shortsight on the part of Toyota; the rattle on my Prius Two 2012 occurred at 183,000 miles; 33,000 beyond the limit set by Toyota.
There are 517,900 vehicle owners affected by the cut-off date and screwed by the 150K limit. This is my second Prius and I'm very disappointed by that arbitrary cut-off date. :-(.

L

Louie Rodriguez

With my 2010 Prius Toyota is refusing to cover all related repairs to the broken EGR valve under the extended warranty. They refuse to cover:

EGR cooler -- needs to be replaced due to excess carbon build-up
Intake Manifold -- EGR ports clogged need to be replaced to avoid misfires.
And spark plugs (I'm not sure if these are related)

The dealer is charging me $1700 out of pocket, and Toyota is paying for the EGR valve itself only.

I am battling this with Toyota, because they themselves admit that the valve is stuck open BECAUSE of the carbon build-up. And it seems the EGR ports clogging would be part of the same condition.

Has anyone else had this issue with Toyota?

Thanks!
---------------------
Similar problem:
The rattle on my Prius Two 2012 occurred at 183,000 miles; 33,000 beyond the limit set by Toyota.
There are 517,900 vehicle owners affected by the cut-off date and screwed by the 150K limit.
This is my second Prius and perhaps my last Toyota product. I'm very disappointed by that arbitrary cut-off date. :-(.

F

Fadedlights

Any additional information on this issue? I called the Lexus customer service number and they want me to take CT in to see if the conditions are what the TSB state. The only issue I see with this that apparently there are more components affected (intake manifold, cooler). At one time I saw an old TSB floating around that addressed these pieces. Would anyone have knowledge regarding if they’ll repair these other parts as well? Thanks

B

Bryan Moore

My 2010 Prius just threw the P0401 code. Absolutely outside the warranty parameters. It has had an occasional extremely rough cold idle for a bit. Bad enough that I'd pop the hood and check it out.
Toyota knows it is a problem. They know the repair is pretty complex compared to other manufacturers, so you'd think they would make it unlimited time and milage. Some vehicles it is a super easy fix. Not on a Toyota Prius.

C

Carl

What a shortsight on the part of Toyota; the rattle on my Prius Two 2012 occurred at 183,000 miles; 33,000 beyond the limit set by Toyota.
There are 517,900 vehicle owners affected by the cut-off date and screwed by the 150K limit. This is my second Prius and I'm very disappointed by that arbitrary cut-off date. :-(.

C

Carl

My 2010 Prius just threw the P0401 code. Absolutely outside the warranty parameters. It has had an occasional extremely rough cold idle for a bit. Bad enough that I'd pop the hood and check it out.
Toyota knows it is a problem. They know the repair is pretty complex compared to other manufacturers, so you'd think they would make it unlimited time and milage. Some vehicles it is a super easy fix. Not on a Toyota Prius.
Same thing here. My 2010 with 165000 miles threw the PO401 code and would not move anymore. Had it towed to dealer . $2100 dollars later it was fixed. I showed the dealer the what I thought was a recall that I put in the glove box when I received it. I was told I was past coverage terms. I wrote a letter to Toyota and asked if they would cover just the EGR portion of repair and they refused. I guess that is the penalty of being a loyal Toyota customer.