OishiiJPN

Staff member
Manufacturers must install an AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting Systems) system in four-wheeled electric and hybrid electric vehicles that are approved from July 1, 2019, and to all new quiet electric and hybrid vehicles registered from July 2021. The vehicle must make a continuous noise level of at least 56 dBA (within 2 meters) if the car is going 20 km/h (12 mph) or slower, and a maximum of 75 dBA.

This is what the 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid sounds like when going forward and in Reverse. Notice that it is louder when backing...

T

ToyotaFan2020

Does Toyota realize how annoying this sound is? It sounds like a spirit that is unhappy! It's so loud I'm afraid to drive our brand new hybrid early in the morning or late at night in fear that I will upset my neighbors. Toyota at least could have made it sound like a normal engine instead of the noise it makes now.

K

Kate

Does Toyota realize how annoying this sound is? It sounds like a spirit that is unhappy! It's so loud I'm afraid to drive our brand new hybrid early in the morning or late at night in fear that I will upset my neighbors. Toyota at least could have made it sound like a normal engine instead of the noise it makes now.
I’m so angry about this sound. This is the first time I’ve ever had a new car and, after it was bought and paid for, the salesman reversed it out of the show area and I heard the awful horror movie sound and thought something was wrong w the car. Why would they do this? I can’t imagine this not being intentional at this point. Just have it make normal car sound if it must make noise! I’m embarrassed by it. I hate attention and reversing is so loud and makes such a terrible, foreboding noise that everyone is like wtf is wrong with your car? Sure, people will get used to it, but why do we have to? They know this sound is awful. So people will have to modify, which is illegal, or stop buying new cars. Or they will have to buy the normal gas guzzlers and become more criminal for their carbon footprint. Someone is seriously trying to take everything and make it just annoying enough that we give up.

D

DauntlessDave

I hate it - the Zen of a Hybrid operating in electric mode is silence. My 2020 Highlander sounds like a cheap clock radio alarm.

K

Kathleen

I have a new 2023 Highlander, limited I would not have purchased this if I knew the pedestrian warning speaker was SOOOO LOUD. I am embarrassed to put my car in reverse. If I had the option to return the car,.,I DEFINITELY would.

P

PWS Workaround

Try turning up the heat in the car until the gas engine kicks on. When the gas engine is running the car will hopefully turn off the Pedestrian Warning System. You can also try turning on the front window defroster, this usually tells the car to turn on the gas engine also.